my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Whats the difference between the UK and US version of a game?

Author Topic: Whats the difference between the UK and US version of a game?
Mongoose69
Member # 4696

posted 05-12-2000 09:59 PM     Profile for Mongoose69   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok I found a site with Comanche Havok for sale but its just the UK version. Why isn't there a US version? And even so what is the difference? Can I be perfectly safe buying the UK version? Are they compatible?

------------------
http://www.wpi.edu/~mongoose/

CIA
unregistered

posted 05-12-2000 11:25 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm afraid you cannot be perfectly safe purchasing a UK version of a software title. You see, all UK CD's have special mechanisms that cause American computers to explode in a brilliant display of sparks, shrapnel, and beige plastic.
IP: Logged
Scout
Member # 657

posted 05-13-2000 06:21 AM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes it's "perfectly safe" - the UK version is VERY stable and bug-free. The US version will probably bear no difference to UK version whatsoever.

CIA, ROFL!

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 05-13-2000 07:04 AM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But CIA is right!

The technology was developed my Macrovision, the people that brought you SAFEDISK 1.5 (what did the 1.5 mean? One in five users can't use the disk).

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MikeToth
Member # 762

posted 05-13-2000 09:04 AM     Profile for MikeToth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Greetings all,

I have had EECH for about 10 days now and
it is a very stable game. No crashes, not
a one. Framerates get a little stuttery
from time to time but no big deal. And I
am running on a PII-300MHZ w/192MB ram..

I live in Ohio and got my copy from
www.interactcd.com

from california.

Cheers
Mike

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mongoose69
Member # 4696

posted 05-13-2000 09:27 AM     Profile for Mongoose69   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I've seen some games that had a UK and US version. Wasn't Hidden and Dangerous one of them? Didn't the UK and US version have seperate patches?
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 05-13-2000 01:50 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What happened with Apache Havoc was it was released by Razorworks in Europe several months before USA. They released a patch for Europe AH which was the version in the Box in the US.
Europe AH patched and US out of the Box AH were identical so i would imagine that the CH US version will be the same , a patched CH.
So dont worry there wont be any compatablitiy problems they are the same once the European version is patched.

Mongoose69
Member # 4696

posted 05-13-2000 05:37 PM     Profile for Mongoose69   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok just want to make sure Im putting my money in the right place. Comanche Hokum seems like the best heli sim out. Gunship is a joke. KA-52 was ok, lots of weapons. But it was still kinda weak.

------------------
http://www.wpi.edu/~mongoose/

Weasel
Member # 299

posted 05-14-2000 05:12 AM     Profile for Weasel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It might be that the US version will be patched and ready fron CD, or the cd ast least includes the patch.
Posts: 531 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 05-14-2000 07:47 AM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The UK version kick "arse", while the US version will kick a.s , hehe

Enfo.

[This message has been edited by Enforcer (edited 05-14-2000).]

Posts: 342 | From: Brossard, Québec, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ral
Member # 2748

posted 05-14-2000 12:02 PM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just got a copy of the Asia Pacific release which is probobly the same as the European version...there were three things I noticed when I intalled the game that seems to indicate the there will be some changes in the US version. First, there is not intro...not that I really care but I don't remember any other sim or PC Game without an intro...second, it did not ask me to register... third, it has no special icon for drive D. I think these trimmings may be added to the US version.

Other than that, everything seems fine. Loads fairly fast and runs okay so far.

[This message has been edited by ral (edited 05-14-2000).]

Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 05-14-2000 12:35 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As mentioned by previous posters, the US version will just be the latest build (that is : the UK version + patch).

If you want intros, Team Aligator. None better for a chopper sim IMO.

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 05-14-2000 12:38 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Razorworks dont seem to be into Intros, Apache Havoc didnt have one either or any registration guff either.
I suppose the Demo mode is the Ultimate Intro if you think about it.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.