my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Gunship review - 89% !!

Author Topic: Gunship review - 89% !!
Scylla
Member # 4197

posted 05-09-2000 08:41 AM     Profile for Scylla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The May issue of PC Format (UK) gives Gunshit! this ridiculously high score. One has to conclude that either:

- They're insane
- They didn't take it out of the box
- They reviewed it at gunpoint
- They take a lot of drugs
- They don't know their arse from a hole in the ground

This shouldn't be allowed. People will buy this box of guano on the strength of this review.

Posts: 9 | From: NEwcastle, England | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 05-09-2000 08:54 AM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hang on,

Just because it don't appeal to you (myself included) there is a lot of people who don't want to get into flight models and realistic avionics. Its a "light" sim, and for those people its perfect.

PC Format normally do excellent reviews, maybe the reviewer was taken by gunship, but remember a lot of PC mags have reviewed gunship with over 80%, PC Gamer gave it 86.

Personally I'll come to this forum or simhqs and get my opinion from people I can count on!

Posts: 433 | From: Northumberland, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scylla
Member # 4197

posted 05-09-2000 09:07 AM     Profile for Scylla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ceebee

I don't think it's an issue of avionics, flight models or perceived "realism." Unreal Tournament has little to do with the real world, but it is a masterpiece of a game.

I felt the review to be unreasonably generous because in my experience, Gunship! doesn't work properly.

I agree that PC Format's reviews are of a generally high standard. That's why I buy it. But I think they got it badly wrong here, and I was interested to know what others think. I don't expect anyone to necessarily agree with me.

Regards to pit-yakker country. :-)

Posts: 9 | From: NEwcastle, England | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Yorkshire Tea
Member # 170

posted 05-09-2000 10:03 AM     Profile for Yorkshire Tea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PC Format along with other UK magazines seem to have a contradictory attitude to PC sims. Usually 'hardcore' (God I hate that expression) sims are slated in PC format or PC gamer for a number of problems:

1) Lack of originality (i.e. oh, look another F-XX, AH-64 etc. etc. sim).

2) Steep learning curves, being unfriendly to novices.

3) Poor terrain graphics.

4) Bad GUI design.

Any sim with some originality, (i.e. more than one aircraft to fly), good terrain graphics and easy to pickup and learn usually receives high marks. That's where Gunship! comes in. To the magazines you don't need an A1 flight model & realistic weapons damage modelling - It just needs to be a fun game. Hence situations such as PC Gamer recommending DISH over Jane's F/A-18 and Gunship! over EECH.

The contradiction seems to come when PC Format or PC Gamer still give 'Hardcore' sims high marks, usually just under 90%, yet still slate them for the above points.
(e.g. Falcon 4, Flanker 2, Janes F-15/ F/A-18 all got high 80%s in PC format if memory serves me correctly).

I suppose it all comes down to perceptions of 'games' versus 'sims'.

My 2p.

Posts: 315 | From: leeds | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 05-09-2000 10:54 AM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My favorite UK game mag is PC Zone and they gave,
Falcon 4: 95
Flaker 2: 86
EE-AH: 94
EE-CH: 85 (feels like they didn't quite get it but hey it's a good score anyways)
Team Alligator: 84
Superhornet : 88
Janes F/A-18 : 84

and
Gunship!: 49...

I like PC Zone

/Nolan

Posts: 307 | From: Lund, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spawnbob
Member # 1277

posted 05-09-2000 12:57 PM     Profile for Spawnbob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If i remmeber PC format gave Longbow 2 a stupid score like 60% , but the guy is right about PcZone , it's cheaper than the rest good cd's , gave gunship 49% and thinks Falcon is the Dog's bollocks and has kept upto date with Falcon i.e the Gunship review mentions the development of Falcon and Ibeta.
Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 05-09-2000 05:25 PM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Scylla

It boils down to the reviewer in then end! But sadly people will be led by the review, especially if its the only mag they buy!

You in Newcastle?? fancy a lan with EECH if you have it? what part of geordie land you live?

I haven't played gunship and to be honest have been led by the reviews it got here, (the people not combatsim) the air starts put it off for me!

Email me if you want to set up a head to head/Co op!

Ceebee

Posts: 433 | From: Northumberland, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
mbaxter
Member # 191

posted 05-09-2000 06:18 PM     Profile for mbaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DON'T EVER TRUST ANY REVIEWS!

I have learned never to take any game review by any publication too seriously. For a variety of reasons, you can't trust any site or publication. There are some who write their review before taking the time to really find out what a game is all about. There are others who pump up certain types of games simply because they want to keep that particular genre alive (like Combatsim often does with sims). There are some who have prejudices against certain types of games. And of course there are many who give a good review for fear of losing advertising bucks from a big company (like Hasbro).

You can't trust any of them including this site. The best way to found out what a game is like is to visit forums for that game. It takes a bit longer but is well worth the effort. I only wish I'd been smarter and not bought USAF based on Combatsim's good reviews of it. If I had just waited a few days and read what everybody had to say about it on the forums and asked them questions about it, I would've known better than to buy it.

Posts: 1687 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ral
Member # 2748

posted 05-09-2000 06:52 PM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yes, mbaxter. I agree, better to read the posts in the messageboards (despite all the flames and biased posts) than read reviews.
Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Finarvas
Member # 4271

posted 05-10-2000 01:35 AM     Profile for Finarvas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Look it entirly depends on which site you check... a sim site is more likely to give ee:ch a high score than gunship! and then again as we know sites like gamespy likes gunship! more. The only thing you really can depend on is that the smaller sites usually gives more honest reviews. When I'm about to buy I game I first read all reviews I can get my hands on becouse then I will know all the features of the game and after that I check forums to see what the people says. It also helps if you can get your hands on a demo or "educational copy".

------------------
It's more fun to compute!

Posts: 52 | From: Varberg, Sweden | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.