my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Frame rate question

Author Topic: Frame rate question
THead
unregistered

posted 05-06-2000 08:41 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all guys.
I know that this is a too often heard question but if there is some good method to improve the frame rate of Comanche vs Hokum I'll be very happy to know (sorry for my english).
My system: AMD K6III 450Mhz, 192 mb ram, Voodoo3 3000 (latest driver installed), Turtle beach daytona sound board, L3 joystick board.
I thought that my system could be sufficent to run the game even if at a medium level of deatail but.... NOPE.
The game crawls and often stutter.
I defragged the HD, used the /notnl /cbt /mfr:30 commands, set my swapfile at 300 mb permanent...., I used cacheman and Rampage to
optimise the Vcache and freeup ram but nothing seems to work.
Any other game I run in my system (ie. Falcon4!!!) run beatifully and as smooth as silk...
...Well If I miss something post it here.
Thanks

IP: Logged
sKiGhDoC
Member # 4533

posted 05-06-2000 08:47 AM     Profile for sKiGhDoC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this may be obvious but i didnt see u mention it: shutdown all background programs like virus checkers and mail programs.

Posts: 48 | From: Ft Hood, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 05-06-2000 09:12 AM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can only suggest you try turning off music and see if you can run your 3D card at x4 AGP.

On my old Celeron 450 and G400 I get lovely frame rates. Though the game is floating point intensive, perhaps the K6 isn't up to it?

You might also try the /nos (No Sound) command line (please check that option - I quote from memory) and see if that helps.

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ojokoltsa
Member # 3286

posted 05-06-2000 02:22 PM     Profile for Ojokoltsa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, have an ATHLON 650Mhz, 256MB, Geforce DDR graphic card and the game is sluggish as hell. Give it up!
Well, such graphic has to go somewhere!!!

Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 05-06-2000 06:40 PM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THead- Does your MoBo utilise the VIA 4-in-1 drivers? If so try downgrading to version 4,17 (if you have installed version 4,20 that is), apparently there's some kinda performance issue with the latest GART driver.

Just a thought...

You should really be fine with that setup, I have a celly466, 128 and a TNT2 and EE:CH runs just fine @ 1024 with all details to max.

Hope it helps (not the part where I brag over how well it runs on my machine that is ).

/Nolan

Posts: 307 | From: Lund, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Deep Slumber
Member # 3294

posted 05-06-2000 07:27 PM     Profile for Deep Slumber   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am running EECH on a Celeron 400 with 128 megs, Win98SE, TNT and latest official Detonator drivers, an SB Live! card and my Saitek X26 USB, with a permanent 300 to 400 meg swapfile on another physical harddisk than my C: drive, detail settings at high and 1024x768... EECH is totally smooth. I didn't check framerates so far but I have no probs.. except when I fly over a city, then it of course gets a lil slower.. but other than that.. nooo probs at all. I guess the pretty large swapfile on another physical harddisk is a big detail that makes it run smooth. I'm happy with it
Posts: 62 | From: Hagen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
zaq
unregistered

posted 05-06-2000 08:02 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, there seem to be a wide deviation in what we all call 'good framerate' :-)

I ran PII400 + 256MB + lotsa'swap + V3-3k, and thought that framerates were more than a tad low - maybe just above 10 on average.
Then I played with a bit of overclocking, taking the bus to 133MHz which gives CPU @ 533MHz. I also added another 128MB RAM in the process (haven't isolated the effect of the extra RAM).

This really did the trick for me. Seems like some 'threshold' was crossed - subjectively it is now running at around 20 fps average. In dense population/action it drops off quite a bit though.

The coming week I'm planning on getting a PIII600E to run at 798MHz :-) This will hopefully take it past 30 fps, which is my mark for 'acceptably smooth'.

So folks, what are your actual framerates then, guessed or measured?

And, does anybody have a pointer to a framerate measuring utility (for V3)?

Are

ral
Member # 2748

posted 05-06-2000 09:24 PM     Profile for ral   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.fraps.com

Measures frame rates for D3D only though.
http://www.dogfight.cjb.net

Posts: 868 | From: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 05-07-2000 12:54 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
FRAPS doesn't work well (if at all) in AH/CH.

Damn, did I spoil it again?

Judge
Member # 1634

posted 05-07-2000 02:12 AM     Profile for Judge     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Had the stuttering problem as well until I created a fixed size swap file of 500MB (Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Performance, Virtual Memory). Then the stuttering problem all but went away. The only time it stutters now is at the start of a mission when all the textures are loaded. Going to an external view before lifting off and panning around 360 degrees a few times to force the texture loading helps minimize this problem.

In AvH, RAM was crucial for framerates. Adding an additional 64MB to my existing 128MB improved framerate considerably. I'm running CvH on another system that only has 128MB onboard at the moment, but I'll be adding another 128MB next week. I expect the same kind of framerate improvement as I saw with AvH.

Celeron [email protected]
128MB SDRAM
Voodoo3 2000

Posts: 440 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
THead
unregistered

posted 05-07-2000 03:06 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to you all guys.
I'll try some other tweaks, but I hope that the problem could not be caused by the limited performance in D3D of the VooDoo Chipset.
If I'll solve the problem I'll post the solution.

THead
unregistered

posted 05-08-2000 12:39 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well.. What I've discovered is that it seems that EECH not inizialize properly the 3D acceleration in the VooDoo33000 board.
Infact if some of you try to run the game in windowd mode will notice no degradation of performace at all! But.... the Voodoo chipset is made to run in full screen not in windowed mode. If you try to run some apps in windowed mode the voodoo will not works properly.
So.... Is there anyone of you that has the same problem with a VooDoo3 3000 board??
In the meantime I'll write to Razorworks to have some confirm of this hipotesys.

C6

zaq
unregistered

posted 05-08-2000 06:00 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the Voodoo3 initializes - at least the Voodoo'ish visuals seem to be there.
However, the speed is not very Voodoo'ish ;-)

Tried FRAPS, and it can be coaxed into working, sort of... Here are the results:

[email protected], [email protected]
384MB RAM
768MB fixed swap file on same drive as Win and the sim
(does not seem to swap much with 384MB RAM(?))
Voodoo3 3000 AGP, running in 800x600

Object detail: high
Ground detail: medium
Cockpit detail: medium
Blurred rotors off.
Default forward view.
Free flight in "Sword In the Sand", midday, good weather
- on ground, before flight => 25
- in flight, no aircraft/veichles/buildings in view => 22 - 28
- in flight, city in 'block-mode' in view => 14 - 20
- in flight, city in 'individual buildings mode' => 10 - 12

In the first of the 'skirmish' missions (no FRAPS used at this time), I'd estimate framerates to be between 10 and 25, depending on the number of objects in view.
Much the same as the measured ones.

I've tried various combinations of detail settings, but that doesn't seem to cause any extreme variations.

So, what are the actual framerates other people experience? No more 'crawl' or 'smooth' please - just give us the numbers this time :-)) (estimates if nothing else...)

Are

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 05-09-2000 02:19 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thead,

as far as I know, the V3 does support windowed 3D, whereas V1/2 didn't.
Besides that, since CH is 3D-only (i.e. even the interface runs in 3D), it either runs in 3D or it doesn't run at all.

zaq,

I can't get FRAPS to work so I have to recall my experiences from the beta, which had an fps counter. There I got about the framerates you describe here, but on a PII400/384MB/TNT1 at 1024x786.

So your numbers look a tad slow but not *that* slow, given that you got a faster CPU but a (under D3D) slightly slower graphics card.

Blaze

[This message has been edited by Blaze (edited 05-09-2000).]

THead
unregistered

posted 05-09-2000 06:51 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mmmm...
What I noticed is that FPS flying over a city or even near a bridge is near 4/6 fps... . It seems a little bit too low for sys spec.
Farps doesn't works for me too.
In other situation it could be around 15 fps or so... .
Another thing.
Almost forr all D3D and Glide apps, the screen flashes when they are launched.
This thing don't happen in EECH.

C6

Finarvas
Member # 4271

posted 05-09-2000 01:24 PM     Profile for Finarvas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
About the 3dfx-logo beeing displayed or not;
it displays in glide, minigl and in _some_ d3d apps/games, not in all. It depends on which dll the game uses...

Posts: 52 | From: Varberg, Sweden | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ojokoltsa
Member # 3286

posted 05-10-2000 02:28 AM     Profile for Ojokoltsa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oops, sorry m8's!!!
Just found out that the problem with the bad gameflow has something to do with my system. Even A/H sutters now and Rogue Spear UO, which I played last night, was somehow sluggish as hell, no need to say that this never happened before!!!
So, I now think EECH could possibly run smooth as silk!!!

Well, here we go again then, FORMAT C: !
Yeah, and that's okay at least, system has lasted more than a month now.

MikeToth
Member # 762

posted 05-10-2000 06:20 AM     Profile for MikeToth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried a suggestion from somebody that
seemed to work pretty good. Before actually
flying, I run the demo for a few minutes,
which pre-loads the textures into memory.
After doing this I noticed a much smoother
framerate. Also another option is to use
the PF9 option and pan around your chopper
a few times. Does the same thing. But the
demo deal works the best for me... give
it a try......

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.