my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » KA52 minor bugs

Author Topic: KA52 minor bugs
Clydewinder
Member # 3006

posted 05-04-2000 04:26 PM     Profile for Clydewinder   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This message is mostly directed to Zero-G and others who may be in contact with Simis.

1- During the campaign, if your supply of Iglas gets low it won't let you change weapon loadouts, even though you already have 4 on your KA52 and you're not asking for any more.

2- In the mission briefing, the text "types" out on the screen but it won't let you scroll down for a few seconds even after the briefing window is filled in all the way.

3- There is nothing else. This sim ROCKS! Just finished the Tajikstan campaign last night ( actually didn't do very well, had to settle for a ceasefire and lost 2 birds ). Those 23mm cannon pods are brutal!

Posts: 97 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tomac
Member # 3762

posted 05-04-2000 06:10 PM     Profile for Tomac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Add to this a memory leak that degrades playability over time and voice sounds that are clipped making them difficult to understand.
Oversight: The Vikhr-M ATGM has a proximity fuse to allow use against helos and slow flying aircraft. Ka-52 TA won't allow you to use Vikhrs against aircraft (every time I've tried I get the "no lockon" symbol in the HUD).
Now that the FMs fixed (many thanks again to SIMIS, ZeroG, Da Janitor, Jont, etc...) if SIMIS/GTI can deal with these few bugs, add a mission editor/generator and a couple of other previously mentioned enhancements then IMHO we'll have the best novice/mid-level helo sim ever since my beloved Gunship/Gunship2000...
Tomac

Gonzalo Nieva
Member # 4601

posted 05-06-2000 01:03 PM     Profile for Gonzalo Nieva   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got that clipped voice bug: I can´t understand the training missions. Hope they release a patch soon.
Posts: 917 | From: Huatusco, Ver. México. | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Scat
Member # 1579

posted 05-07-2000 09:10 AM     Profile for Scat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would add the F2 bug which I find will fairly consistently crash my computer requiring a reboot. I know, I know just don't use it... but the fly bys are my favorite view!

Also, the screen shake that occurs periodically, almost like the sim world is having an earthquake. Seems to occur with a sound stutter as well. I have read this elsewhere so I know it's not just me. MX300 issue?

And thanks to Tomac, not just for emailing me the FM (whole new game, especially the latest released FM) but also for the suggestions to get TA to use my MX300.

I have to say I am having some difficulty with SA. Can't seem to get the hang of using radar or even the threat MFD. I find I rarely have my head in the cockpit to monitor such things. Would be great to have the MFDs available as ghost images on the full screen HUD. Any suggestions from you guys re: SA?

Last question, what about using the Shkval? I usually get "bad signal" message.

I have to admit, I haven't done an in depth read of the manual yet (but have scanned it a few times) so if these questions are addressed in there, just let me know.

Regards,
Scat

By the way, noticed the memory leak issue last night after about 3 missions. Stuttering got really bad as did FPS, finally the sim crashed.

[This message has been edited by Scat (edited 05-07-2000).]

Tomac
Member # 3762

posted 05-07-2000 09:45 AM     Profile for Tomac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Scat, go to full HUD view (no cockpit) and hit 'CTL+V' to call up a mini-threat display in the upper right hand corner of the HUD. Though not realistic this is *very* helpful. The range on this mini-MFD can be adjusted by selecting 'Threat Display' in one of the regular MFDs and as you adjust range for the MFD the range will also be adjusted for the mini-MFD. I usually have my other MFD set to Gound Radar and toggle that between Gound and Air so I can scan for enemy helos (biggest threat, IMHO). Most of the time I keep my Threat Display range at 4km and radar range to 2km depending upon how target rich the environment is. I don't even use Shkval any more, instead I use the See Target (F5) for target ID (and some neat screenshots). Since the Shkval depends upon line-of-sight for target lock it seems that if you tilt your nose too far down you break/prevent lock because the optics are looking down at the ground. What I'd like to see is the full HUD view to have both MFDs in the left & right hand corners and a mini-damage panel running along the bottom. That would give you all the info you need to fly & fight at the same time. For now I have my joystick programmed so I can press a button to see a full screen MFD and then hit the same button again to return to HUD view. To best use ground radar I'll go into hover in a safe location, call up the full screen radar MFD and then slowly rotate the helo watching for radar targets as I sweep.
HTH, keep us posted...
Tomac

Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-07-2000 12:04 PM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You might find this usefull:

when in virtual cockpit view you can 'snap-down/up/left/right' using Ctrl+arrow keys.

I've swapped mine round so that Ctrl+arrow keys control heli & without ctrl it does the view snapping (I also swapped up/dn).

you need to edit:
\alligator\Iom\{lang dir}\inpgame.iom

after editing you *must* run the iomconv.bat batch file in the same directory - this encodes all the data into 'game.iom' in a format that the games finds easier to read.
(you can edit this directly if you like- but it's not so clear)

You *ought* to be able to change the joystick button mappings too - must admit haven't tried it -yet.

these are the relevant lines (after change)
io_map ( LEFT_ARROW "keybd_cyclic_left" CTRL_DOWN ALL_UP )
io_map ( RIGHT_ARROW "keybd_cyclic_right" CTRL_DOWN ALL_UP )
io_map ( UP_ARROW "keybd_cyclic_forward" CTRL_DOWN ALL_UP )
io_map ( DOWN_ARROW "keybd_cyclic_back" CTRL_DOWN ALL_UP )
io_map ( UP_ARROW "snap_down" ALL_UP )
io_map ( LEFT_ARROW "snap_left" ALL_UP )
io_map ( RIGHT_ARROW "snap_right" ALL_UP )
io_map ( DOWN_ARROW "snap_up" ALL_UP )

hope this helps

jont

ps:
you can also edit:
\alligator\data\{lang dir}\{lang dir}\Team2.gd
(at least I think it's {lang dir}\{lang dir} mine is Data\Eng\Eng\)

There are some useful looking parms in there, the only thing I changed was:
YMin = -75.0
(allows you to look left 75 degrees rather than the original 45)
MoveSpd = 65.0
for faster panning (i guess i't degrees per second)
haven't tried any others, it was the limited look left that was bugging me.

[This message has been edited by Jont (edited 05-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jont (edited 05-07-2000).]

Posts: 83 | From: Maidenhead, England | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tomac
Member # 3762

posted 05-07-2000 03:39 PM     Profile for Tomac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jont, thanks for the snap view controls! Just what I was hoping for! Now I can glance down and around with ease...
Tomac

Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 05-07-2000 05:43 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Give that man a cigar! I believe that SIMIS should be knocking on your door any minute. Thanks again Jont!
Posts: 48 | From: 5th Special Forces Ft Campbell Ky | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tomac
Member # 3762

posted 05-07-2000 07:57 PM     Profile for Tomac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jont, tried to remap the keyboard commands as you outlined above and it's a no-go, the game still requires a CTL+Arrow to get the snap views. So, intrepid (and sometimes stupid) soul that I am I proceeded to program my FLCS/TQS setup for snap views using the CTL_Arrow commands. Won't work with standard programming macros so I had to use keyboard RAW codes and even that ended up requiring a /P RAW code & /R RAW code otherwise just a RAW code resulted in a single snap view that would only work once and couldn't be repeated unless I manually hit the matching Arrow key on the keyboard to "reset". The important thing is that the snap views now work with my joystick but I can't understand the programming difficulty or why the snap views were left out of the manual...
Tomac

Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-08-2000 05:40 AM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tomac,

Were you just remapping the keyboard (and not the Joystick-->Keyboard) mappings?

If so, it *should* have worked (well it worked for me), did you run the iomconv.bat batch file after you did the edit?

Tomac
Member # 3762

posted 05-08-2000 08:19 AM     Profile for Tomac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jont, I forgot to run the .bat file (sheepish grin...) I still have to use RAW codes but at least they're easier to work with now without having to include the CTL function as well. Works great now! Thanks again!...
Tomac

Scat
Member # 1579

posted 05-08-2000 09:18 PM     Profile for Scat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to all, I'm not feeling as lost now. Tomac, the ctl-v is really key, has helped immensely. Now I need to work on team tactics and wingy commands.
Well, back to it.

Regards,
Scat

Shadowcat
unregistered

posted 05-09-2000 07:06 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
> Also, the screen shake that occurs
> periodically, almost like the sim world
> is having an earthquake.

Scat, I've heard that this is a feature which indicates you are over-torquing the engine. Try easing off the collective a little and seeing if that helps.

IP: Logged
Groucho
Member # 266

posted 05-09-2000 08:38 AM     Profile for Groucho     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, I've got one that drives me nuts.
The "cracks" in the scenery, especially at night, are disconcerting as all hell. problem is that they are they same color as tracers! While looking around, I'm not sure at first if I'm being shot at or if it's a seam in the world...
Anyone else see this?
Video card: V3 3000 AGP

------------------
Bob "Groucho" Marks
"Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones."
-Major Kong, USAF/SAC
(As played by Slim Pickens in "Dr. Strangelove")

Posts: 530 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-09-2000 10:11 AM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
>Anyone else see this?

Yup, damned annoying. (TNT2u, detonator 3.68)

I think it's pretty inevitable with the single precision maths that's used inside direct3d.

It is normal to try and disguise this by clearing the frame buffer to a particular colour, Simis, I suspect, chose white so that the sky didn't have cracks (during the day). Can I suggest to Simis that the frame buffer clear colour should be calculated according to time of day (at least), such that we have white at day and black at night etc. Better still should be a compromise colour between sky colour (according to time of day) and average ground colour etc.

You ought to be able to calc the colour once at the start of mission.

Here's a facility that should be in the video hardware: 'average colour on last frame' - should be pretty easy for hardware to do it, then have a facilty to 'read-back' that colour (or get it to clear to *that* colour anyway)

Shadowcat

The 'earthquake problem' is nothing to do with overtorquing. It's a math problem in the terrain/3d engine. (and often times shakes in sync with sound stutter).

I had a wild hunch that it was an FPU precision mode problem - maybe a conflict between direct3d/app code/directsound.
But my tests so far have been unable to verify this, it's just a wild hunch anyway.

jont

ps: i have a list of minor bugs too, but haven't yet got them all together.

Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-09-2000 10:13 AM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gonzalo Nieva

Have you tried the Russian voices - for me these are perfectly clear it's just that i can't understand them

Also the Russion one's are *much* better paced to the action - eg: when starting engines the guy says 'ready for takeoff' (i guess) just about at the time that you can actually take off. The English one says you're ready for take off well before the engines are finished spooling up.

[This message has been edited by Jont (edited 05-09-2000).]

Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-09-2000 01:16 PM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, got my act together, here's my list...

Things already commonly noted:
- FM, joystick deadzone, sound clipping & stutter etc

Things that definitely need attention:
- jumping terrain (not popping, I can live with that); sometimes the jumping is in sync with sound stutters (95osr2.1/Tnt2u/Awe64)
- cracks in terrain/sky etc: clear frame buffer to more appropriate colour; at very least according to day/night
- only taj_map appears in freeflight, no belarus/siberia maps
- (at least in freeflight/taj_map) heli position according to 'gps' is incorrect - outside view doesn't match in-flight-map
- heli often doesn't appear on in-flight-map til first zoom in/out
- at least *some* warning *before* being shot down/disabled when accidently straying out of the game territory

Things I just don't like (some are just wishes):
- map view: unless dragging an object on the map I'd rather the mouse drag worked in other direction
- starsky is crap, it looks like we are viewing distant galaxies through a telescope. I'd rather do without stars at all rather than this
- sky is rendered without fogging applied, gives unrealistic horizons
- sky geometry needs refining, looks like we're flying in a big hanger
- look left as far as look right
- HUD colour and intensity are defaulted on each flight, could at least keep it at user's preference for a session if not save between sessions
- VSI indicator on HUD: could this be changed to a triangle as in Team Apache. I find it hard to see it at any colour/intensity of the HUD
- sound segments that better match the action (Russian speech seems pretty much OK in this respect)
- also regarding speech: there seems to be a lot more dialogue in Russian than in English
- where's the nice F3-chase view that was in Team Apache, the Alligator F2-chase view just does not compare in fluidity and flexibilty; I miss that view desperately.
- my undercarriage keeps breaking; my flying isn't *that* bad
- would like to be able to add more than one scenario to the training list (i made up all combinations of Sib/Bel/Taj & Day/Eve/Night & Clear/Rain/Snow etc. in the trn_mis.dat file, but found the prog barfs if there are more than 10 entries: probably a hard coded limit; would be nice if it was less limited)
- in the GUI: don't keep repositoning the mouse for me, I know it's only trying to help, but I find it annoying

A few of the above are fixable by editing the various param and weather files, but they could have been better on delivery - or at least documented so we know where to look.

There's probably more I forgot.

For all the good things in the sim (too many to mention) that aren't mentioned here, congratulations must be directed at the Simis team.

jont

gandlaf
Member # 4688

posted 05-12-2000 04:43 AM     Profile for gandlaf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jont,

Nice work with the FM patch - thanks for the dedication to our games, its all very much appreciated.

If you are interested in doing it full time, please contact me at [email protected]

Steve Masters,
Kuju Entertainment

Posts: 1 | From: Godalming, UK | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-12-2000 10:55 AM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
gulp!

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.