my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Questions concerning EECH

Author Topic: Questions concerning EECH
Ojokoltsa
Member # 3286

posted 05-04-2000 03:34 PM     Profile for Ojokoltsa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Woa, this game is as sluggish as hell!!!!!!
I have a ATHLON 650Mhz, 256MB, ASUS 6800 GeForce DDR, SB LIVE! and the game looks great but is sluggish... yaeh, I already mentioned that! Even A/H never stuttered this much on my old PII 300Mhz, 128MB, TNT2...
So I start the game with the /notnl command. Fine, that does at least somthing to the graphic.
My questions now: Any ideas how to improve the gameflow? And I also like to know the line to change the drawing distance for citys and stuff. That isn't mentioned in the manual.
Thanks!

Deep Slumber
Member # 3294

posted 05-04-2000 03:58 PM     Profile for Deep Slumber   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whoa man, compared to my machine, yours is way faster.. I have a Celeron 400, 128 megs of RAM and a TNT.. I run EECH at 1024x768 with max details and have no probs. Okay, the framerates could be a bit better but what do you expect from my equipment :-P .. something that might really help is a Windows swap file at 300+ megs on another harddisk (physical) than your C: drive. I did that one day ago and now everything is just so much better. Before that, I had a 150 megs swapfile on my C: drive :-P .. it sucked. Other than that, I have no probs with the game concerning speed. And ah yeah, I also have an SB Live! and I use the Saitek X36 (USB).. as I said, it all works fine for me. Try the swapfile thing
Posts: 62 | From: Hagen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snake
Member # 696

posted 05-04-2000 05:04 PM     Profile for Snake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get Flexmans utility, it helps with lots. When you get it turn of rendering to texture (the FLIR on your MFD) my system is close to yours and I had serious problems until I did that.
Posts: 144 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
MotherSuperior
Member # 524

posted 05-04-2000 07:05 PM     Profile for MotherSuperior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The drawing distance will only effect the EEAH maps. It doesn't have an effect with the EECH maps.

The switch is something like /cbr:n But if you get Flexman's utility, it will add it for you.

Mother

Ojokoltsa
Member # 3286

posted 05-05-2000 01:30 AM     Profile for Ojokoltsa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to all of you. At least, I found the command line for the draw distance, I have it on a print but haven't seen it yesterday.
Thanks Snake - and Salutations to Cork... man, I really have to go there and go to one of this nice coffee shops again... yeah, if they are still there!
Anyway, I read about the rendering/texture too and was thinkin' about it but didn't try it. Well then, I'll do it tonight.
Thanks again! Thats what I like, an excellent workin' forum!!!

MikeToth
Member # 762

posted 05-05-2000 07:10 AM     Profile for MikeToth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi -
I have a PII-300 192MB RAM and 32 MB TNT2
video card.... my framerates are pretty good
with CH.... HOwever I have a great utility
called Cacheman, it's a VCache managing
utility that works great!... get it at:

www.outertech.com

YOu can control very easily the Disk cache
and vMem thru a simple GUI... it made a
tremendous impact on my system....

Mike
Cleveland

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Catgh
Member # 2286

posted 05-05-2000 07:43 AM     Profile for Catgh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your problem might lie within the Athlon vs the Geforce DDR. I have a 700 MHZ Athlon and the same video card, but I don't have any slow downs what so ever. When I was putting together my system, I spent a lot of time at www.amdzone.com and seem to remember a great deal of conversations about the Geforce and Athlon. You might want to check there. I am also using the Geforce reference drivers and not the ASUS drivers for the video card.
Posts: 19 | From: Durango | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ojokoltsa
Member # 3286

posted 05-05-2000 08:13 AM     Profile for Ojokoltsa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Huh, wow, thanks alot!!!
I visited both web sites mentioned by you and they look very interesting!!! I'll pay close attention to them again when I'm home, later.
Thanks cat! Even if I know a lot about computer myslef, the site you mentioned keeps a huge mass of interesting stuff to think about again!!! I surely try some of it tonight.

Ojokoltsa
Member # 3286

posted 05-05-2000 03:38 PM     Profile for Ojokoltsa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay folks, tried some of your stuff, changed to a great swap file ( 300MB), installed the Nvidia 5.16 driver, installed Cacheman, turned off TnL and the other stuff... but the game is still sluggish as hell!!!
Well, I think it has something to do with something else, don't know what, but the game isn't just sluggish, it hangs for even some seconds!!! :P
Its unplayable like this!!! It forces the helo to crash in manoeuvers.
Right then, I'll keep on tryin' for some time and if it doesn't effect anything, this one will go straight to the shelf!
Gee, sometimes I kick myself for not havin' bought a PLAYSTATION and saved a huge amount of money!!!!
THANKS ANYWAY!!!!

Catgh
Member # 2286

posted 05-05-2000 04:30 PM     Profile for Catgh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry that none of that worked out for you. ECCH shouldn't be on the shelf. I assume you don't have problems with other games?

Posts: 19 | From: Durango | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snake
Member # 696

posted 05-05-2000 04:57 PM     Profile for Snake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok this is the same as was happening to me. What I did was turn of the music and render to texture. Also I used the driver for my video card off the CD. That solved all my problems.

Which coffe shops are you talking about? I didn't know Cork was famous for Coffee.

Posts: 144 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ojokoltsa
Member # 3286

posted 05-05-2000 05:24 PM     Profile for Ojokoltsa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope Catgh, I have no probs with other games, they all run fine! Its just EECH. But, well, it has a excellent(!!!) graphic, so that's okay somehow. I tried something very simple, well known out of my old A/H days: I now wait for, let's say half a minute or minute, after the mission starts and give the game the time to load all the stuff. That improves the gameflow somehow, though the game's still sluggish. Its too bad!
But, after flyin' for some minutes... straight flight!!!... I found out that there is something more anoying than the frame rate: THE STUPID WINGMAN!!!!! :P
Hope this will be fixed with the patch, 'cause I can't handle a helo if its impossible to break it down and stop it in the air, turn into manoeuvers and stuff...
hmh... strange thing, this sim...

Well Snake, I know Cork better for friends who lived there- and the great beer!!!!!!!
At the moment I can't remember the name of my favourite Coffee Shop... maybe I come back to that

cya

sKiGhDoC
Member # 4533

posted 05-06-2000 08:41 AM     Profile for sKiGhDoC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oj-

on wingmen: try changing your formation to an echelon or column. i used eat their rotors ALL the time b/c they are in a row formation just off you port side, any turn to the left ended in a midair. So try different formations, b/c the default formation is row left...in the patch this is changed to an echelon i think.

------------------
sKiGhDoC, OUT!

"taurus oculus"

[This message has been edited by sKiGhDoC (edited 05-06-2000).]

Posts: 48 | From: Ft Hood, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.