my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » The F2 of helo sims?

Author Topic: The F2 of helo sims?
JFA
unregistered

posted 05-02-2000 10:59 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My delight with the Jont/Zero G/De Janitor FM/joystick patch has go me thinking about the potential of TA. It occurred to me, that with the attention of SIMIS, TA could become the F2 of helo sims. How so?

1. Clearly the FM is editable/hackable to achieve a very high level of fidelity.

2. Graphics and sense of speed/flight are top-notch.

3. Cultural detail of theaters is excellent.

4. Great weather effects.

5. Good AI, both enemy and friendly.

6. Great Russian atmosphere, complete with Russian comms and Nadia.

All it really needs now is a Cyrillic cockpit/HUD, user-customizable vehicle skins, enhanced avionics detail and realism, and most importantly, a mission/campaign editor in the mold of F2. I don't believe any of these things would be impossible to do in a patch or "gold" edition. Certainly, improving the avionics fidelity and detail and adding a mission editor would greatly increase the challenge and multiply the replayability of TA, and the lay the groundwork for future products.

Currently I am playing Gunship! for it's lethal and challenging cat-and-mouse anti-armor dimension, and TA for the fun of flying an (ever-more-realistic) helicopter. Both games sport stunning graphics. I have yet to get CH, but I suspect I will really like it. Since GS is unlikely to be substantially patched (I hope I am wrong about this) I believe the opportunity is there for SIMIS to enhance the replayability and challenge of TA to effectively compete in the long run with CH.

Just some thoughts - I am enjoying TA as it is for its many strengths, but since I see occasional visits by Neil from SIMIS, I suspect user feedback counts more for that developer than certain other companies, and I wanted to commend them for what they have already achieved, and encourage them to keep at it.

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.