my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » KA-52 installation problems

Author Topic: KA-52 installation problems
LJK_Six
unregistered

posted 04-30-2000 04:31 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok they are gameplay problems for me as well. I just purchased the game yesterday and can get it to install but it will not run at all. I get a loading screen for maybe 10 seconds and the game kicks back to desktop like it was never there. I will post system specs later. Right now I have to run help out the wife with dinner. Thanks for any help at all.
IP: Logged
Tomac
Member # 3762

posted 04-30-2000 04:52 PM     Profile for Tomac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
System specs would be helpful, but for starters make sure you install the latest version of DirectX 7 from the Ka-52 CD and the latest drivers for your sound and video cards. Secondly, make sure DirectSound hardware acceleration is turned down to 'basic' or 'none/disabled' (don't disable in the Ka-52 start menu, that option seems to have no effect). HTH, keep us posted...
Tomac

[This message has been edited by Tomac (edited 04-30-2000).]

LJK_Six
unregistered

posted 04-30-2000 08:19 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As promised here are the system specs.
AMD K63-400MHz
128MB RAM
ASUS P5A motherboard
Diamond Viper TNT2 Ultra 32MB:using Nvidia reference drivers since Diamonds SUCK
Diamond MX300:using A3D reference drivers since Diamonds SUCK
external ADSL modem
3COM 905BTX 10/100NIC for ADSL connection
DirectX7.0a: checked again earlier this afternoon to make sure

Well that is basically it for the hardware. I have checked the DirectSound is disabled and you are right the start menu does nothing. All drivers are ok and have no conflicts in other flight sims or shooter type games. Hope this helps Tomac..TY for the reply earlier.

Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-30-2000 08:29 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of my systems has an MX300, and I had to go into the Control Panel to Multimedia. Click on it and then go to Audio, then select the Advanced properties in Playback and then click the Performance tab. Turn the Hardware acceleration to none. Close out and launch the game. Be sure to have Disable 3D sound checked.

[This message has been edited by Hatchet (edited 04-30-2000).]

Posts: 48 | From: 5th Special Forces Ft Campbell Ky | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tomac
Member # 3762

posted 04-30-2000 08:31 PM     Profile for Tomac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also have a TNT2 (until recently a TNT) and had no problems with it using the reference drivers (I also have the MX300). I thought I had the current DX7 installed but Ka-52 wouldn't run until I installed the DX7 off the Ka-52 CD. Give it a try and if it doesn't work all I can think of is to email Simis/GTI tech support. HTH!...
Tomac
PS- Is your system doing any IRQ sharing? Are you O/C'ing your CPU or video card? Sounds like a video card/driver issue to me, I suggest you try installing the Diamond drivers (but *not* that POS "In Control") and see if that helps.

Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-30-2000 09:58 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also, DO NOT use the nVidia reference drivers that are 5.XX and above. There have been severe incompatibility issues and KA is included in a long list of games. Use the 3.84 OEM versions or below. The 3.84 and 3.77 versions work great.
Posts: 48 | From: 5th Special Forces Ft Campbell Ky | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
LJK_Six
unregistered

posted 05-01-2000 08:22 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help here Hatchet and Tomac. Just so you know I am not using 5.xx reference drivers I am using 3.68 and I was also setup the way you said for the sound Hatchet. So far things still have not worked right but I have not tried the DX file off the CD yet. I have already email Simis/GT tech support and I hope to hear something in the next day or so. I emailed them on Saturday evening so it may take a day or two. I will let you know what happens.
Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 05-01-2000 08:33 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Go here for the 3.84 version: http://www.reactorcritical.com/

Hope it will help!

Jont
Member # 4238

posted 05-01-2000 10:08 PM     Profile for Jont     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LJK_Six

I found you need to be >256 colours else it barfs out with no message

incase it helps

Posts: 83 | From: Maidenhead, England | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.