my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » HELP!!! Getting CTD Frequently in C vs H

Author Topic: HELP!!! Getting CTD Frequently in C vs H
Cruise
Member # 1912

posted 04-23-2000 11:43 AM     Profile for Cruise   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My system:

P3 750
256 Megs of Rambus Memory (400mhz, ECC)
Sound Blaster Live with Altec Lansing ADA880
Elsa Erazor X2 GeForce DDR
DX 7a
W98SE
500 Virtual Memory

I am getting CTD and lockups FREQUENTLY in this game. In fact, I can't play more then 15 minutes without getting popped back to the OS.

I reformated and reinstalled windows, reinstalled Direct X, and everything else, but having same problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I love this game, but it is CONSTANTLY crashing. I have never had this type of problem with any other game.

The only new thing I have added is the Altec Lansing ADA880's, which is a 4 speaker/Sub system that can run in Surround Mode. However I have tried running in non-surround.

HELP

Posts: 88 | From: York, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Arrows2100
Member # 4297

posted 04-23-2000 01:43 PM     Profile for Arrows2100   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have seen this problem before with GeForce graphics cards!

Arrows

Scout
Member # 657

posted 04-23-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There's crash.log file in /razorworks directory. Studying its contents might help, also what kind of CTD are you getting? Just back to desktop or is there any blue screens or GPF messages involved?

I had a bad streak of CTDs in various D3D titles until I've gone back to 3.xx Detonators. But its TNT1 here, so there may be no connection here.

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Robbster
Member # 376

posted 04-23-2000 01:57 PM     Profile for Robbster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CTD's and freezing can also occur with overclocked processors. Is your CPU or Videocard overclocked?
Rob
Member # 2252

posted 04-23-2000 03:05 PM     Profile for Rob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm having the same problem. Everything is going fine and then the PC just locks up. I have a GeForce 256 (Erazer X), PIII 550, SB Live!, and 256 megs. Nothing is overclocked. I get a freeze about once every 4 flights. I found that by reducing my terrain and detail settings from high to medium the number of crashes reduced substantially.
Posts: 67 | From: Clayton,CA USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ceebee
Member # 1216

posted 04-23-2000 05:05 PM     Profile for Ceebee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm having the same problem, And I don't have a Geforce card! One thing I do agree on its D3d related.

The Crash to the desktops are just that, straight to the desktop and nothing else!

The reason I think its D3d related is that I can play for hours, and I mean hours 4-5 non stop, and the next time I play, bang! CDT! I played with this though, its when I cycle through the targeting systems! DTV, Flir. If I dont then i can play for days!

But as no one had posted on CTDs I thought it was my machine!

Its not just the geforce cards!

Posts: 433 | From: Northumberland, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cruise
Member # 1912

posted 04-24-2000 06:38 AM     Profile for Cruise   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice. To answer some questions, the crashes are straight to the desktop in most cases. Just pop.... then the desktop.

I think I may have resolved the problem. I downloaded the this utility from Simhq.com, that allows one to adjust some of the settings. In that parameters block I added the /notl switch. I then played for about 45 minutes without crashing. Others may want to try this.

Let me also say that despite the crashes, this is one of the most incredible games I have played in awhile. I orderd my copy from the UK, received it in about a week and a half, and was totally blown away. The graphics are incredible, and I love the way you can peek into the action on the planning screen. Kind of like the old DID TAW. Plus, being able to fly two significantly different aircraft is an excellent idea. PLUS, a totally dynamic campaign (although I haven't tried the campaign yet). Is anyone else as impressed as I am???

Posts: 88 | From: York, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 04-24-2000 08:02 AM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A GeForce user has had success with unchecking the "Allow Clock Frequency adjustement" option.

May worth a try maybe?

Enforcer.

Posts: 342 | From: Brossard, Québec, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.