my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Is this normal?

Author Topic: Is this normal?
Cat
Member # 2285

posted 04-21-2000 09:21 PM     Profile for Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay. I'm not a rotorhead generally.

Is it normal for the helo to fall like a frickin' rock when you have stable hover hold on? Sometimes I get an oscillating yo-yo effect that slams me into the ground. Is this the infamous Vortex Ring?

I think I experienced that tonight. I was in a hover at 300 feet and about three knots, trying to get a bead on a Gopher hidden behind a nuke plant cooling tower for one of my wingies. I pushed collective down hard when enemy aircraft (yes, Virginia, enemy aircraft can, will, and DO target you. The reported bug on this is a MYTH. I got shot down THREE times in one campaign by Su-33's.) and I mean that puppy fell like a stone. I pulled collective and dang if it didn't fall faster!! Right to the ground. Result: KIA no. 5 and my tenth crash of the current campaign. Just call me "Crash." Momma, this never happens when I fly fixed wing! This chopper stuff is NOT for the young, the easily frustrated, or the faint of heart.

Miao, Cat

Posts: 184 | From: La Florida-U.S of A, | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 04-21-2000 09:26 PM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep Vortex rings...

I had a few of those, push the cyclic to gain speed whitout adding too much collective, it works for me.

Enforcer.

Posts: 342 | From: Brossard, Québec, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
sKiGhDoC
unregistered

posted 04-21-2000 11:59 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
agree fully with the diagnosis!

i cant tell u how often its happened to me, its especially bad when you have hoverhold on and try to bop up and then come back down again...come down to fast and you can break out the syrup cause its pancake time! the best way to get out of the vortex ring state is to fly out of the down flowing air into "clean" air so you can develop some lift again. Another thing i learned flying in a Kiowa Warrior (OH-58D) is that when you bop up designate targets, its best to do so a few feet away from the edge of your cover, that way on the way back down, you can fly forward a bit to get clean air, turn, reposition, and bop up again (never bop up in the same place twice!)

Another possibility for your problem is that you were in thin air and trying to maintain an OGE(out of ground effect)hover, or in ground effect unequally along a slope where half of your rotor disk gives you lift and the other half does not, and then were unable to achieve enuf forwared speed to get transational lift back again. heavy in thin air with attempted OGE hover has been cited as the cause of at least one Apache Longbow mishap last year, so its a real deal.

IP: Logged
Snake
Member # 696

posted 04-22-2000 10:48 AM     Profile for Snake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This has happened to me a lot too, sometimes just a few meters off the ground. Its dang annoying. When I try getting into one up high, I can't.
Posts: 144 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cat
Member # 2285

posted 04-22-2000 05:32 PM     Profile for Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well then.

Thanks for the responses, fellas! This helo stuff is new to me. Yes, during the failed raid on Power Plant 2 I was at 300 feet so just over a hill so I was way out of ground effect.

They really did good on the fliight modelling, didn't they?

Miao, Cat

Posts: 184 | From: La Florida-U.S of A, | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.