my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Is Gunship Cr*p

Author Topic: Is Gunship Cr*p
Duke21
unregistered

posted 04-21-2000 12:34 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After playing Gunship for some time I have now deceided it IS crap . Am I missing something or does anyone have another view?

IP: Logged
JA
unregistered

posted 04-21-2000 01:13 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, it's like a King Crimson album. Half of it is the worst junk you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy, but the other half is so fantastic it keeps you coming back.

The cons (so many and so significant I wouldn't blame anybody for concluding that it is a terrible problem):

Bad FM, buggy, pilot and wingmen don't follow orders, simplified avionics, air starts, small maps, you can crash into anything but the ground, and so on and so forth.

Having said that, the terrain graphics and dynamic enemy units that force you to stay masked and pick off vehicles one by one from a good position of cover keep me playing it incessantly and allow me look past its conspicuous faults. There are elements of it (the masking, the fallible missiles that leave you exposed during their TOF, the great German and Russian radio messages, the dilapidated Eastern European cities, the ricochets and suspension-rocking of vehicles as they are hit, the necessity to use thermal to distinguish vehicles in poor visibility, makes it FEEL extremely realistic at the moments when its bugs, errors, and poor design decisions are not interfering with my suspension of disbelief. The inclusion of the Tiger and wire-guided missiles that you watch spiralling slowly to their target through the ORT is a nice touch, too.

I am a realism nut generally - the more, the better, but Gunship! does a few things so well, that I am keeping it. There's nothing like hovering behind a broken-down warehouse in some nameless industrial hellhole in the Ukraine, popping up, acquiring a target and viewing it through the ORT to determine if it is a friendly or not, launching a missile, seeing the poor BMP or Abrams wallow on its springs as it is hit, and remasking. All the while, the rain patters incessantly on the canopy, and you're hearing static-laden messages from friendly units on the radio. In this, it fulfills an (admittedly subjective) dream of simulated helicopter combat for me.

I believe that Gunship! was released prematurely, rather than deliberately dumbed-down, and with all the furor over its problems and the upcoming M1TP3 with which it is supposed to be interoperable, I think a fairly comprehensive patch is not a completely unrealistic hope.

Those are my feelings on it, but, again, I certainly understand the negative reaction it has received from many. I think there's a lot to be gotten from Gunship! - you just have to be more patient, tolerant, and indulgent than most sims require. (Easier said than done these days, I readily admit!)

skip
Member # 1470

posted 04-21-2000 04:04 PM     Profile for skip   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
battle builder is fun when it works, there are moments fleeting moments when it is outstanding, multi is fun especially with roger wilco or team sound
Posts: 260 | From: ,Texas,usa | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 04-21-2000 04:13 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know JA??? Your reply is exactly how I would`ve worded it... deja vu`. lol
RanRodee
Member # 350

posted 04-21-2000 10:05 PM     Profile for RanRodee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmmmm... JA, because of what you said in this post and some other fellows in other post, I now will go out and buy Gunship!

Who would have thought that :)

RR

------------------
Visit the OklaCity GameDomain. Stop by and populate the Forums :)
http://members.xoom.com/RainGaming fellow gamers wanted to participate and make the site a better site :)

Posts: 215 | From: Oklahoma CIty, OK, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JA
unregistered

posted 04-22-2000 12:44 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, but get it at EB or somewhere like that so I won't feel responsible if you hate it.
Duke21
unregistered

posted 04-22-2000 04:38 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply JA - having continued to play it since I posted the original message and again since reading your reply I totally agree with your comments. What a pity the designers didn't put a little more thought into it - it could be soooo good , particually if played from the Hunners position. But why oh why make things so difficult - eg waypoint control where instead of hitting w or Shift W you have to go through the comms channel and then all it does is delete the waypoint and still show current waypoint as no 1 !!
I'll continue to play a while and hope they patch it quick!!:

Duke21
unregistered

posted 04-22-2000 04:41 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OOoops - Freudian slip in the last post - should say GUNNERS position , honest!! ( I think!!)
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 04-22-2000 04:42 AM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that is what hurts most about GS!. It is seeing what could have been yet isn't. I sure hope a patch will bring that magic to it that should be there.

------------------
Z

Posts: 374 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Skorpion
unregistered

posted 04-22-2000 08:28 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guys, for a more detailed discussion why not go to a new forum *DEDICATED* to Gunship?
www.delphi.com/gunship

Skorpion

KenStarr007
Member # 4389

posted 04-22-2000 10:23 PM     Profile for KenStarr007   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am of two minds on this game. Some parts are great. The feature wherein you can fly as the gunner,and issue the pilot steering cues is brillianly cocieved, yet the implementation sucks. Buggy. Their terrain graphics are great, but the vehicles look right out of M1 Tank Plt 2. Weapon effects are great, but the limited radar functionality keeps you from exploiting these systems to the maximum effect. What I think is that some VP in charge or rubber dog poop, Barbie Dolls, and plastic vomit decided to push this thing out the door to beat Comance vs Hokum to the store shelves.
They did'nt even include a reverse collective option, so if you want to fly the dumb thing you have to unlearn what took you hours of sim flight time to learn about transitioning from foreward to vertical flight. I banished the sim from my hard drive, until a reverse collective patch is released, or the Tank Platoon! portion comes out with the fix. In the mean time I'm flying my old Apache vs Havoc until the new Comanche vs Hokum is released. I will be glad when the toymakers get out of the flight sim business. They are so used to screwing dumb little kids by putting several pieces of plastic crap in a box, and selling it a premium price, that releaseing sub-standard software is just an extention of their standard operating proceedure. Instead of little Jhonny choking on the defective plastic parts, we the sim community fume over the bugs, and ommissions. You see I think the bean counter weenies at Matel, and Hasbro et al, just look at us as the same ilk that buy those rediculus console games. You know the type they rode the "short bus" to school, and had to be reminded not to eat the urinal cakes in the latrine. Well lets hope that the toy makers will leave our market alltogether, and confine thier pillage to our more intllectually challenged bretheren who prefer a "D-pad" to a fully functional HOTAS set up with Game Commander, vox support. Those guys are much easier to steal from....I hope.

Posts: 5 | From: Parma Ohio USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
JA
unregistered

posted 04-22-2000 11:15 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"What I think is that some VP in charge or rubber dog poop, Barbie Dolls, and plastic vomit decided to push this thing out the door to beat Comance vs Hokum to the store shelves."

Very funny, and quite possibly true.

We all bought Gunship!, and we're all going to buy CH (and B-17 II, and Il-2, and... ). Rushing things to market doesn't help anyone, unless they actually were trying to get some cash to finance a patch, as one review speculated, but I can't believe Hasbro does not have the capital to fix a few of the major Gunship! problems.

One thing we can all agree on - Ka-50s look very sinister on infrared!

MikeToth
Member # 762

posted 04-24-2000 11:00 AM     Profile for MikeToth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's unfortunate that a "sim" with so much
potential was rushed out the door. I myself
returned it to EB last week and bought
Team Gator KA-52.... not only did I get
(IMHO) a better "sim" (it really is very
good especially with ZeroG's FM patch) but
I also became $10 ahead as GS was 39 bucks
and TA was $29!!!!... (bought my kid a pack
of those Pokemon cards with the refund money and wound up with one of those "Charizard"
(rare from what I hear) cards which is worth
60-100 bucks.. So in reality I'm ahead around
a C-note...... my opinion, return it then
after the patch comes out go back and buy it
..... it will probably sell for around
20 bucks by then....

Thanks all,

Mike

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 04-24-2000 02:48 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
naaah doubt I`ll buy C/H, as I hated A/H. It has abysmal terrain graphics. No, I`ll wait to see what next years heli sim offerings will be before buying another.
I do wanna at least try the C/H demo tho.

VFA69_ChuckY
Member # 4243

posted 04-24-2000 03:01 PM     Profile for VFA69_ChuckY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still like Gunship! But I liked EAW and Falcon 4 also and still do.

I have never had a helicopter sim/game before and Gunship! Seems very stable compared to the first release of Falcon 4 and even the present version. The only place I ever get a crash to desktop is in the battle builder.

The graphics are incredible and I think realistic missions can be built, but, hope they improve the battle builder so that it wont let artillery fire into trees directly in front of them and kill themself also it shouldn't place ground vehicles in places that they cant move out of or stuck in water etc.

[This message has been edited by VFA69_ChuckY (edited 04-25-2000).]

Posts: 30 | From: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.