my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » If someone would...

Author Topic: If someone would...
su37
unregistered

posted 04-20-2000 12:02 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

marry EECH with Gunship, we could perhaps have the perfect helo sim

I really like CH for its realism, good flight model, avionics, campaign etc.

But, the graphics engine could need some work. I mean, the terrain is a bit boring for a helo sim, there isn't much detail on the ground. Gunship on the other hand has the best terrain in any helo sim so far. It just looks _real_, with trees and other ground objects. And the cities are awesome with dozens of buildings rendered without slowing the game down. Going at 140kts between some buildings is just pure fun - sense of speed is there and it looks great.

Performance-wise, gunship is a blast. It runs extremely fast on my GeForce, in 1024x768, 32bit, all details maxed out. The clouds are beautiful, however they don't seem to be volumetric (not a big deal for a helo-sim, imho).

CH is slower, but still acceptable at higher resolutions (except when many objects are visible).

Overall, CH is probably the better _sim_, but I cannot understand some of the ultra-negative opinions about gunship. Sure, it has bugs and it definately needs a patch (or two), but it's really not *that* bad. Yes, the flightmodel is a bit arcadish, the avionics come nowhere close to Longbow or CH, the campaign is not dynamic, but it has good points also.

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.