my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » CH campaign malfunction

Author Topic: CH campaign malfunction
E. coli
Member # 16

posted 04-19-2000 02:12 AM     Profile for E. coli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am at day2 of Sword in the Sand. I have wiped out the enemy. The the enemy (yemen) has 10% attack helicopters and 8% territory and nothing else in the situation screen. I took out the power station and refinery as targets of opportunity. But after finishing the last seed, there are no more combat missions and the AI refuses to dispatch insertion missions against the 2 enemy airbases which are out of action. I managed to divert a recon mission to take out the military base objective. Soon after it was captured and earned a yellow 'complete' in the objectives list. I have let several hours of campaign time pass but the 2 enemy air bases remain and there is a never ending cycle of oca strike, BDA, Recon, then an insertion mission that expires withought a helo assigned to it. And there are lots of black hawks left. I'm stuck at 3 out of 5 objectives complete. Anyone know what the blazes is going on?
Thanks for any help,
E. coli

Posts: 106 | From: College Station, Texas | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 04-19-2000 02:57 AM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not really, except I had to force the AI to start dispatching units at my campaign goals in "the war of independance". ie go over there and shoot at them my self.

/Nolan

Posts: 307 | From: Lund, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
E. coli
Member # 16

posted 04-19-2000 02:19 PM     Profile for E. coli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bump, I need flexman to see this
CBH
Member # 3266

posted 04-19-2000 04:52 PM     Profile for CBH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am loving this sim, believe me, and the campaign is fantastic, however on my first run through Sword in the Sand, I am getting the odd mission listed e.g. a SEAD mission where the X point is only 1 km from the airfield and such.

Couldn't they just lob some mortars over rather than having four Comanches engage on a twenty second flight??

Posts: 38 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ricski
Member # 2349

posted 04-19-2000 05:14 PM     Profile for ricski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(Oops, just realised that you're flying against the Soviets, not for them... but I get the same problem for the other side so most of what is below is still relevant)

I had the endless cycle of OCA strikes, BDAs and recons against the airbase on the right of the Sword in the Sand map. OCAs kept getting assigned even though everything around the base was flattened, no opposition for miles, but the cycle kept on repeating.

Interestingly, in this campaign NONE of my fighter aircraft had flown until the OCAs were scheduled (day 3) either, nor were there any advance missions for ground units. Several Havocs also circled a FARP on the west side of the map for several hours because a flight of Hinds were on the pads they wanted to land on.

I eventually won not by completing the stated objectives but by hunting down and destroying every enemy helicopter, "Enemy resources severely depleted" I think it said at the end.

However, the good news is that none of the above errors occured the second time I played the campaign, everything went very smoothly then and victory was complete within a day (lucky sequence of insertion missions - I managed to get troops to all the objectives before the Blackhawks got them back).

This time I didn't head for the airbase on the right and attempt to kill every enemy unit there. All I did there was kill half the base air defences and knock out the generator buildings (took 3 missions) before concentrating on the rest of the map. The other airbase is not so well defended and is the one you need to capture. The insertion went in damn quickly to there and immediately afterwards there were 4 frogfeet and 2 MiG-29s based there. This time the campaign engine was looking very slick indeed

The only bug that persisted was that suply aircraft only dropped fuel, NEVER ammo, even to farps that were already 10% ammo 100% fuel.

My advice is just try it again or go helo hunting - you have to kill all helos.

[This message has been edited by ricski (edited 04-19-2000).]

Posts: 106 | From: West Sussex, England | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
E. coli
Member # 16

posted 04-19-2000 09:36 PM     Profile for E. coli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice ricski, it took a while but I hunted down those last few enemy helos and got my medal. A little anticlimactic though. Just a little notice that says you win. A cut scene or something would have been nice. Oh well, I guess the gameplay is it's own reward.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.