my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » CH and GeForce, Wassup?

Author Topic: CH and GeForce, Wassup?
Mojo 16 163
Member # 2343

posted 04-18-2000 06:06 PM     Profile for Mojo 16 163   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know what the outlook is for us GeForce users?

The problem I'm talking about is objects popping up slowly, or not at all. I just crashed into a powerline that just wasn't there. The cities are the worst, with buildings popping up all over the place at near distance.

Jeez, it takes all the fun outta the new rig I just got on Friday:

Athlon 950mz, Epox 7KXA MotherBoard, 256mb ram, Elsa Erazor X2 GeForce.
(BTW, the command line turning off T&L doesn't help.)

Is Empire fixing any of these issues in the patch? Or is it up to NVidia?

It's a real bummer! I only fly two sims, F18 and CH, and one of 'em is bent.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Mojo

[This message has been edited by Mojo 16 163 (edited 04-18-2000).]

skip
Member # 1470

posted 04-18-2000 06:16 PM     Profile for skip   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
on the cd is guide with 6 chapters by flexman thatll help alot,also sim/hq has a utility your gonna love by the same guy i got a geforce its greathttp://www.simhq.com/index.shtml

[This message has been edited by skip (edited 04-18-2000).]

Posts: 260 | From: ,Texas,usa | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
MotherSuperior
Member # 524

posted 04-18-2000 07:21 PM     Profile for MotherSuperior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What version of drivers are you using?

Also, you should use the /notnl switch with the exe file... this disables T&L (known issue)

Also, make sure you get Flexman's utility...

Mother

Mojo 16 163
Member # 2343

posted 04-18-2000 07:44 PM     Profile for Mojo 16 163   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MotherSuperior,

I'm currently using the Detonator 3.68 reference drivers from NVidia. The latest Elsa drivers had the same effect. I tried the 5.13 beta drivers, but the wrapper menus got pretty weird and the game stuttered significantly.

I am using the "/notnl" command line, but the building/object, "pop-ups" are still very annoying. - Don't get me wrong, it is still playable, but it's sorta like having a stone in your shoe

I spoke to an Empire tech in the UK and he says GeForce users are having a variety of problems, and that "hopefully NVidia will address it with the next driver release." I hate when they say "hopefully." He also said that some issues would be addressed in the patch, however, he didn't sound all that encouraging.

Mojo

skip
Member # 1470

posted 04-18-2000 08:34 PM     Profile for skip   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
u can change the command line so pop up occurs sooner with the utility ,say at a 1000 meters instead 500 default btw
Posts: 260 | From: ,Texas,usa | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
MotherSuperior
Member # 524

posted 04-18-2000 10:47 PM     Profile for MotherSuperior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mojo,

I'm using the 3.69 drivers off the EECH cd...

I was using 5.13, but experienced the 'flicker' thing you described... also couldn't get the res past 640x480...

Over at the Combat Helo section on www.simhq.com you should get Flexman's EECH utility... you can quickly configure the most common switches.. I have the distance thing set to 1500 and don't really have the 'pop up' issues.

Mother

Charnier
unregistered

posted 04-18-2000 11:03 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got a P3 1 Ghz w/ 256 MB RAM and Creative GeForce DDR and Driver Version 3.77 (Detonator) and I have no probs with the /notnl switch running. All I can say is Athlon .... BAHHHHH.

Charnier

IP: Logged
Tom McClean
Member # 2674

posted 04-18-2000 11:25 PM     Profile for Tom McClean   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How come you guys didn't wait for the Thunderbird Athlon or Pentium IV? They are going to be faster than anything you buy now. Personally, I think you wasted your money.

------------------
"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't." - ANON -

AndyHill
Member # 859

posted 04-19-2000 01:02 AM     Profile for AndyHill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wait a minute!

You say this sim uses HWTL in some ways? Ahh forget it, I´m going to a store today so I´ll see for myself if EECH & Pro pedals are any good.

Andy

Posts: 91 | From: Oulu, Finland | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
DarkAngle
Member # 1371

posted 04-19-2000 01:46 AM     Profile for DarkAngle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah - I can live with the T&L dosn't work - but the stutter I can't live with!

And I've tried all resolutions and graphic settings with no luck what so ever. The game stutters like h.... And there is NO HD access.

I you search this forum you will see that it is a known problem with GeForce cards and game stutter.

Mark "DarkAngle" Jensen
Denmark

Posts: 23 | From: Denmark | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 04-19-2000 02:34 AM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doesn't the /notnl command line option fix it for most guys?

------------------
Z

[This message has been edited by Zero G (edited 04-19-2000).]

Posts: 374 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MotherSuperior
Member # 524

posted 04-19-2000 10:53 AM     Profile for MotherSuperior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The stuttering is pretty bad in the begging of the mission. I just climb and turn all directions...

After that, no more stutter.

System specs:

PII 450 w/256 mb ram
Geforce SDR w/ 3.69 drivers from EECH cd
SB Live w/3.0 livewire
TM gear, ch pro pedals

Windows 98SE
perm. swap file 500megs, set to the front of the hdd with NU speed disk
Cacheman with default settings for 3d game

EECH settings
using /notnl
set drawing distance to 1500 (using flexman's util)

Mother

AndyHill
Member # 859

posted 04-19-2000 12:31 PM     Profile for AndyHill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you mean hard drive stutter? Are you getting HD access in teh beginning of missions? I am and I´d like to know if there´s any way to avoid it... As you said, the stutter goes away after a while...

Andy

MotherSuperior
Member # 524

posted 04-19-2000 01:45 PM     Profile for MotherSuperior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It doesn't appear to be hdd stutter... the led blinks once in a while... same as in F4.

I think it is the flood of sound files and graphics being cached for the first time..

At least for me, if I continue on multiple missions staying in the same campaign, the stutters decrease to almost nothing....

This only happens the first time I rise to the air.....

Mother

AndyHill
Member # 859

posted 04-20-2000 02:24 AM     Profile for AndyHill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good to know... I haven´t played much yet, but when running the demo, the first moments are nothing but constant hdd access for me, then it goes away... Perhaps that stuff should be cached BEFORE the mission begins so that it doesn´t mess up the takeoff (I think Falcon4 did just that)?

Andy

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.