my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » GUNSHIP! -- get it, try it, or toss it?

Author Topic: GUNSHIP! -- get it, try it, or toss it?
kschang
unregistered

posted 04-12-2000 06:57 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like most of the people are hovering between try it and toss it.

Let me tell you about my sim background... My first sim was FS2 (SubLOGIC), though my first serious sim was the original Gunship. Yes, got the CMOH and everything. Have MOST of the older MPS games in my collection, though to be honest I don't have time to master the really complicated ones now...

IP: Logged
JR31
unregistered

posted 04-12-2000 07:14 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Get it. I've played about every sim out there, including Longbow 2, and they can't compare. Gunships graphics and being able to play in two positions adds to the fun of this game. The only gripe I have about the game is the throttle control is backwards. Maybe a patch will fix that. Time will tell. There are a few bugs and it was released a little too soon, but it's still fun to play. Ultrarealistic? Maybe not. But how many people have actually flown an AH-64 who purchase this game? I thought games were supposed to be entertainment and fun to play. Well, this one is. Don't know why it get's so many damn complaints. Oh, well, you know what they say, opinions are like assholes and everybody's got one.

Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 04-12-2000 07:29 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well this is a tough one for sure.

1: on this hand you have your naysayers who treat the game like it is a bugfree product with no fixes or balance issues to be done, saying this is GS! as is and it is as good as it will ever be, and it sucks. By saying this I mean yes, they realize it has bugs, but do not see, or cannot see that a bug can be fixed, and oppinions may change.
2: on the other hand you have those who know there are bugs to be patched, and balance issues such as proper weapons damage balancing to fix i.e. "1 round does not take out a building or vehicle in real life".
This group seems content{kinda sorta...grudgingly} to look past the outstanding issues and wait for the fixes. It must be something like this because they/we/I still have the game.
I don`t have a clue why some like what others don`t. Example, I have GS!, and even with GS!s bug issues at this time, I would still buy it before even thinking of buying A/H . Go figure.
My advice?? Go beg a salesguy to boot GS! up on a store PC to try it, or find someone who has it to try it. Although I have GS! and like it, at this time with the outstanding issues of bug fixes and proper balancing to areas of the game I wouldn`t recommend it till these areas are fixed.

Cat
Member # 2285

posted 04-12-2000 08:37 PM     Profile for Cat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's pretty fun.

Just remember: Think USAF, not C-H/A-H or Longbow.

I'm keeping my copy. I really dig the Tiger, but I hate the other three and the radar modeling...since the Tiger has no radar that isn't a problem. And try a combat environment with 1980s technology wire guided HOT missiles. That's living on the edge.

Miao, Cat

Posts: 184 | From: La Florida-U.S of A, | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tomac
Member # 3762

posted 04-12-2000 10:09 PM     Profile for Tomac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm an original Gunship! & GS2000 fan (got my CMOHs to show for it) and I was really looking forward to this new incarnation until I learned it has airstarts & no FARPs. I'm not looking for total realism either but for me half the fun was spooling up the engines at base, heading off to the target zone wondering how many hostiles I'd run into along the way (and if I would get to the target zone in one piece and with enough ammo to complete the mission) and afterwards perhaps nurse a shot-up bird back to the pad (one of my most memorable accomplishments was successfully landing at base with my main rotor and tail rotor shot up, talk about a roller coaster ride! Never managed to pull that one off again, but I digress...) Unfortunately the new Gunship has removed too many of the qualities I found so endearing in the original. I have since purchased Ka-52 Team Alligator and have found it to be much closer to my expectations for a "new and improved" Gunship. Just my $.02 worth...
Tomac

turner111
Member # 4200

posted 04-12-2000 10:11 PM     Profile for turner111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try it. Buy it at Electronics Boutique if you can, that way you can return it if you don't like it.

But let me say this: Treeeeees. Treeeeees.
Treeeees. They are unbeatable as seen in this game as far as I can tell. They are simply great. when you fly over a wooded area, you can "dip" in and hide, or use groups of trees to "sneak up" on an enemy.

Also, the armor explosions are great - sometimes you see little pieces streak off like tiny comets, and when you are close enough, you see them rock around a bit before coming to a halt. Really, really nice.

The game has some issues and hopefully they will be addressed; it's good fun even with the quirks.

After reading some comments here on the forum, I went out to EB to buy Apache / Havoc.. ($10 by the way) It's a totally different environment. I don't like it nearly as much, but I'll keep it for fun and for its add-on capability when Comanche/Hokum comes out.

Cheers
Andrew

Posts: 8 | From: mount laurel, nj, us | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
rjetster
Member # 3411

posted 04-12-2000 10:19 PM     Profile for rjetster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I say toss it as far as you can!
Posts: 56 | From: valley village,CA USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swampthing
Member # 388

posted 04-12-2000 11:07 PM     Profile for Swampthing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd have to say toss it. While the real bugs in the game can be fixed, such as the overpowerful guns that destroy you or buildings or other units with a 1 second burst, or the non responsive pilot when sitting in the gunner seat.

Yes those can be fixed. But deep down this game is chock full of very bad and un user friendly design decisions. The way point issue, the small maps, the air starts, i could go on but it's all in the forum allready. This stuff I'd highly doubt would get fixed in any patch short of gunship version 2.

If you want a superlight comanche 3 type game then maybe this is for you, but if you want anything better than that steer clear.

Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 04-13-2000 07:42 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The waypoint issue can be fixed I think. But once the outstanding issues arew fixed, the real issues that bother the so called hard cores are left.

1: small maps
2: airstarts
3: less than accurate FM

If everything else gets rectified, it is these 3 issues that rankle. Other than these 3 issues, you have to admit, they did pretty good with GS! for what it is.
The small maps I believe are small because of the Tank Platoon linking in multiplayer.... like they said.
There could have been ground starts too had they just started the helis on the ground a few k farther away, and didn`t allow your heli to be picked up on any radar till it was in the air. Guess no one thought of this.
As for why the FM is the way it is? I will wait to see if the patch ever addresses this area, and see how it feels at that time before commenting.

P.S. Actually just thinking on this, maybe ground starts would be so uneventful because of the lacking realism in avionics that they decided to {not} have them so it {would not} make the experienced player focus so much on this fact.
This is a good way to mask what depth is not in that area, to not blaringly point at it with groundstarts.<--- conspiracy theory ;0)

[This message has been edited by Shataan (edited 04-15-2000).]

Greyryder
unregistered

posted 04-14-2000 10:48 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I may be a bit out of place here, being more of a gamer, but I like what I've seen so far. I'm not leaving the training flights until I figure out this throttle. Now I know I'm getting off topic here but, if someone could give me some tips, I'd be gratefull. I can't seem to get the collective to level out in the average flight model. Thanx

Greyryder

vqkin
Member # 4141

posted 04-15-2000 11:32 AM     Profile for vqkin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a sim fan like others here but i found it simply too easy to control. It's like an arcade game, and I must agree but other guys here that say that starting the engines and taking off is part of the fun. Did u ever play Nuclear Strike? feels quite like it.
Too simple.
Not as nice graphics as you;d expect either.
But I'd buy it just for the fun of it. It's almost like a first person shooter that knows what a chopper should actually be able to do, but doesnt.

Posts: 6 | From: San Pedro Sula, Cortes, Honduras | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.