my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » A/H & C/H problem

Author Topic: A/H & C/H problem
z0dd
Member # 4012

posted 04-11-2000 08:51 PM     Profile for z0dd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I live in the USA. I bought A/H last week and just recieved C/H.

Both A/H and C/H lock up on me approximately 5 minutes after loading.

I've tried running a fresh install of A/H.
I've tried running a fresh install of A/H with USA patch 1.1e (should I pick "English"?).
I've tried running a fresh install of A/H, (with patch) and a fresh installation of C/H.
I choose the "English" install because there wasn't a "USA" install option.

I tried each of those combinations several times.

The crash locks my machine hard and I can't recover. After a couple of these crashes A/H and C/H won't load. They never get to main screen.

I tried defragging my hard drive and reinstalling everything.
I tried running A/H and C/H with every permutation of these command line arguments:
/ns
/notnl (C/H only)

What's going on?
My machine doesn;t crash with ANY other game. This system has NEVER crashed before. EVER!!!! I've run games such as tribes (glide) for more than 6 hours without a single hitch.

This is my system (I'm using the latest upgrade/drivers for everything):

P3-733 EB
Voodoo 3500 TV
256 megs of Corsair RAM
VIA appollo mb (Tyan Trinity 400)
Diamond mx300
Generic CD-Rom drive
26gig U66 drive
MS Intellieye mouse (not the explorer)

Nothing is overclocked and the computer does NOT overheat.

After 6 hours of playing around with these 2 programs I give up.

Please help. I hope I didnt waste $75 on 2 games I can't run.

Softball
Member # 1953

posted 04-11-2000 11:37 PM     Profile for Softball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First off, erase every file associated with A/H and C/H.
Reinstall A/H using the default directory(C:\Razorworks), IMEDIATELY install 1.1e patch(Try using the English patch this time).

Run A/H, setup options and prefrences etc.

Run at least one mission, exit out of mission, exit A/H.

Then install C/H and the setup utility SHOULD delete a few of the A/H files prior to installing the actual C/H program.

When you install the C/H program, make sure you use the same default directory that you used for A/H.

If it still locks up after you follow those steps, then you might have to track down the UK version of A/H, using the English patch.

If you are using the USA version if A/H, then that is probably your problem, or perhaps by you using the USA patch is causing an incompatability with C/H?

Good luck,

Softball out.

Posts: 89 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
James Honan-Hallock
Member # 96

posted 04-11-2000 11:50 PM     Profile for James Honan-Hallock     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For what it's worth, I'm using the English install of C-H with a US-patched US A-H and I've had no problems as yet.
z0dd
Member # 4012

posted 04-12-2000 01:21 AM     Profile for z0dd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Softball,

I tried all of your suggestions and it still locks up (I dont think it's a UK/US version issue so I wont track down a UK version of AH).

I've since tried just installing C/H.
It locks in the same manner.

I was able to fly an entire "free-flight" mission by staying away from all external views (with the exception of whatever
view comes up when you press ALT kp+. I was wandering around the kb and didnt know this would bring me to an outside view. Changing to this view did not cause a lock-up.)

After the mission I tried another free-flight mission and I tried to select the Hokum. My system locked as soon as the game
tried to load the Hokum model.

Anyone with a Voodoo3 or Voodoo3500 have any success with this game?
How about those with Diamond mx300 sound cards?

I'm not a happy pilot.

[This message has been edited by z0dd (edited 04-12-2000).]

Softball
Member # 1953

posted 04-12-2000 04:21 PM     Profile for Softball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmmmm? How about trying to reinstall the latest Soundcard drivers and then re-install DX7.0a. From what you are telling us, it sounds like it's a driver or resource conflict somewhere. Check your IRQs and make sure that there is nothing sharing IRQs with your sound and video cards.

Let me know what you find.

Softball out.

Posts: 89 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
z0dd
Member # 4012

posted 04-12-2000 08:37 PM     Profile for z0dd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Softball,

I have the following devices all using all IRQ 11:

1) Diamond Monster Sound (mx200)
2) Intel 10/100 nic
3) 3dfx Voodoo3 (or 3500)
4) IRQ Holder for PCI Steering

I tried to manually change the IRQ for all of these devices but each of them said "This resource setting cannot be modified". That was after I unchecked the "Use automatic settings" option.

I also told my BIOS that IRQ 11 was reserved for ISA and Win98 SE put all those above 4 devices on IRQ 10.

I think I'm SOL.
Does the dev team come here?
I need "devine" help.

E. coli
Member # 16

posted 04-12-2000 08:43 PM     Profile for E. coli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What does your virtual memory look like?
Posts: 106 | From: College Station, Texas | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Todd
unregistered

posted 04-13-2000 02:39 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Z0dd,

If it is Comanche Hokum crashing there will be a "crash.log" file generated in the Cohokum directory. Please forward that to me.

Thanks

Todd.
[email protected]

IP: Logged
z0dd
Member # 4012

posted 04-13-2000 10:31 AM     Profile for z0dd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Todd:
The game does not crash, it locks up and I need to reboot the machine. The locks don't produce a CRASH.LOG file. After locking a couple of times, A/H won't get to the main menu. C/H will run after it locks.

My virtual memory is set to "let Windows manage VM". I have at least 1gig free on every partition. I tried setting the VM to 325M min and 1000M max and both games still locked.

---

Update:
I formatted my boot partition, and did the following in this order:

1) Format c:
2) Installed Win98
3) Installed Win98 SE
4) Installed latest Voodoo3500 Driver
5) Installed Dx 7a
6) Installed A/H USA (I recently bought it at babbages)
7) Installed USA patch from C/H CD

That's all I installed and A/H still crashed after about 3-5 minutes of play. Since my other computer wouldn't run A/H or C/H I think I'm going to try a new sound card (after I run C/H with /ns)

Right now, I'm playing without a jStick, should this matter? I also tried installing the latest mx200 drivers and it still locked.

Boy, this sure is frustrating.
:

Todd
unregistered

posted 04-13-2000 12:19 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It sounds like either a driver problem or a hardware conflict problem. Have you contacted Empire technical support, they are more use to dealing with that sort of thing. If not email me at [email protected]

Cheers,

Todd.

IP: Logged
owlhawk
Member # 4292

posted 04-16-2000 07:20 AM     Profile for owlhawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi
Thanks for the explaination. When I installed A/H and ran the patch I failed to fly a mission, result was that C/H did not recognise A/H. Once I followed your advice it worked. Thanks.
Regards
Rob
quote:
Originally posted by Softball:
First off, erase every file associated with A/H and C/H.
Reinstall A/H using the default directory(C:\Razorworks), IMEDIATELY install 1.1e patch(Try using the English patch this time).

Run A/H, setup options and prefrences etc.

Run at least one mission, exit out of mission, exit A/H.

Then install C/H and the setup utility SHOULD delete a few of the A/H files prior to installing the actual C/H program.

When you install the C/H program, make sure you use the same default directory that you used for A/H.

If it still locks up after you follow those steps, then you might have to track down the UK version of A/H, using the English patch.

If you are using the USA version if A/H, then that is probably your problem, or perhaps by you using the USA patch is causing an incompatability with C/H?

Good luck,

Softball out.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.