my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » C/H Control Problems

Author Topic: C/H Control Problems
Natter
unregistered

posted 04-11-2000 02:02 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok,
i have a litte "Problem":
the throttle seems a little bit too sensitive, i mean i have real problems to keep the heli in the air because of this, is there a way to ajust the sensitivness of the throttle...
In Longbow 2 i got a really steady altitude, and i could go below 30 ft most of the times, but in C/H i have to go above 100 - 200 ft to fly saftey because of this...

i hope i could translate my impressions right

IP: Logged
Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 04-11-2000 06:13 PM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What type of throttle you're using?

Enforcer.

Posts: 342 | From: Brossard, Québec, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Natter
unregistered

posted 04-12-2000 05:27 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
a CH Throttle Pro....
Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 04-12-2000 06:18 AM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In SpeedKeys under throttle axis, is external joystick's check?

I'm using the same throttle and i haven't had the same problems. You could try the ptw file included on the cd to see how it'll work for you.

Enforcer.

Posts: 342 | From: Brossard, Québec, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Marcello
unregistered

posted 04-12-2000 08:33 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the same problem with my pro throttle. Way to sensitiv in both AH and CH. And yes, I have "external joystick" selected. Is there a configuration file that can be modified or any other work-around? Thanks for help.

And hey, Razorworks: great job!!!!

Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 04-12-2000 05:43 PM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of course if you would be compairing the throttle reaction between sims such as Lb2 & A-H/C-H, it would be quite different.

In Lb2 i had to fully pulled (or pushed) the throttle where in A-H/C-H the input isn't as much needed.

My $ 0.02.

Enforcer.

Natter
unregistered

posted 04-12-2000 06:23 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just checked back A/H (which i purchased with C/H) and i must say the Apache throttle is similar to that in Longbow 2, but when i play C/H the throttle is "sort of" over sensitive and sometimes i could not recover a dive in a Comance that every Apache could handle, because the throttle doesnt even react... i hope this will be fixed in a patch, because C/H is the best helosim since Longbow 2...

my dream is another "addon" Cobra/Hind

E. coli
Member # 16

posted 04-12-2000 08:46 PM     Profile for E. coli   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That dive problem you just described sounds like it might be a vortex ring state.
Posts: 106 | From: College Station, Texas | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 04-12-2000 10:55 PM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes those vortex rings killed me a few time while lowering too quickly from a "bob-up". One way to minimize them, is to push the cyclic sideway, and being carefull when loosing altitude.

Hope that helped,

Enforcer.

Natter
unregistered

posted 04-13-2000 04:09 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have vortex ring off, it was the first thing i checked after crashing a few times...
Natter
unregistered

posted 04-13-2000 04:10 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i have vortex ring off, it was the first thing i checked after crashing a few times...
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 04-13-2000 05:01 AM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Natter could you better describe the problem? Is this an issue of having problems holding a set altitude while in forward cruise flight or while in the hover. You could always use the altitude lock help that the helos have. Be warned that the autopilot has no problem adding huge amounts of collective (read over torque) to hold you up if you try to dive. Helos are very hard to hold a set altitude in and it takes practice to do it. This will be one of the tough parts of C-H for people who are used to the easier LB2 FM. Start by using the help modes when needed and then work on it yourself when in friendly territory.

------------------
Z

Posts: 374 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Natter
unregistered

posted 04-13-2000 05:37 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, my prob:
i go into a hover behind a hill, than i pull the throttle to climb straight up, lets say 300 ft, there i hover again, and pick targets etc., then i try to go back to cover, so i set the collective to approx 20% the heli now goes down, but the dive gets faster and faster even if i pull the throttle to 120%, there is not even a response that the dive gets slower or something, it just goes straight down.

this technic has always worked in Longbow 2, and as i said i have vortex ring off,....

another point is the funktion ALT + H (german: Hoehenstabilisierung) which is very unreliable,...

AndyC
Member # 3677

posted 04-14-2000 07:00 AM     Profile for AndyC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds just like vortex ring. Double check it is turned off.

Vortex ring occurs when the following three things happen AT THE SAME TIME.

The rotors are turning under power from the engine.

Rate of descent is greater than about 350 ft per min (does vary a bit with different helis)

Forward AIR SPEED is less than about 30 knts.

Vortex ring state. Basicaly rotors loose lift under the above conditions and increase of colective will only make it worse. Very very high rate of descent. I tried it in a jetranger up at 8 thousand feet a few weeks ago and managed to get 3500ft per min rate of descent!. The way to get out of it is to lower the nose and accellerate. You have to demonstrate this in the UK PPL H flight test.

The problem with it is it ussually occurs close to the ground when doing an approach and the speed comes of too fast and you are too low to do anything about it. BANG....Ouch.

Any way hope that helps.

Andy

Posts: 64 | From: Austria | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.