my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Does C-H resolve problems with A-H?

Author Topic: Does C-H resolve problems with A-H?
Mothra
Member # 4146

posted 04-08-2000 04:49 PM     Profile for Mothra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been playing Apache Havoc for almost a year now. I love it, but there are a couple of issues, mostly relating to ground forces, that were aggravating. I wonder to what extent they were resolved in Commanche Hokum, and whether C-H is worth buying.

For one, it seemed like ground forces existed purely to be shot at by helicopters. Only very rarely did they engage each other. Most of the time they sat idling at crossroads, in a basically random cluster.

For another, during a campaign, assigned missions were idiotic. Missions would pop up to go scout out some obscure corner of the map, while airstrikes from a nearby red airbase were decimating my forces. Typically, I'd just pick a mission that would have me go somewhere near where I actually wanted to go, quickly fulfill my official mission, and then go use up most of my ordinance where it was actually needed. Also, and this is related to the first issue I mentioned, I almost never got to do any close air support during tank battles, because there basically weren't any tank battles.

Finally, in A-H, wingmen were really stupid. They almost invariable were shot down early on in any campaign.

So, in C-H, are 1)ground forces smarter, 2)missions smarter, and 3)wingmen smarter? Is C-H worth buying?

Posts: 14 | From: Palo Alto, CA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charnier
unregistered

posted 04-09-2000 01:21 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No unfortunately the Armor is not a lot smarter. They do return fire more regularly but are still prone to that foolish "Cluster" formation. Some do move on the roads etc but the ones that are in the cluster formation STAY in the formation. Still one hell of a good game. Hopefully they will fine tune the Armor and troop AI in the forthcoming patch.

Chazza.

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.