my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Why I'm returning "Team Alligator" today.

Author Topic: Why I'm returning "Team Alligator" today.
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-08-2000 12:52 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First, let me be clear. TA is a pretty good game, with IMO, a reasonable flight model. But, since I have C-H, and my girlfriend found my receipt, I'll tell you why I'm returning it.

Great terrain but measly cockpit graphics

The 3d sound effects are strange. If you look straight ahead, you don't hear anything, but if you turn your head one way or another, all of a sudden one of your speakers lights up. Not to mention some drop outs, and alot of crackle (on a SBLive!)

The "Rockets red glare" leave alot to be desired. I know that rocket contrails in games are over done. I've seen them in RL, and at most, all they leave in a thin black smoke trail, while usually, you don't even see them. It would have to be some unusual atmosphpheric conditions for a short range, short burn rocket to leave a long white contrail. But I like the effect all the same. But in TA, 1)the ignition trail is flat, and 2) the contrail is too short, and it doesn't even follow the axis of the missle.

The exterior A/C views are muddy, faded, and like the detail you would expect @ +1000X700 resolution. Hey, where do those cannon rounds come from, anyway (BTW, I like the ejected shell casings).

The Co-pilot is'nt very animated. He just moves around a little, here and there.

The GUI is'nt very appealing.

I could go on, but those are my biggest gripes. Alot of those gripes compare TA w/ C-H. In fact w/o C-H, I could probably live with them. I do think it's a good game. I like the team management aspects very much, but, as it happens, there's only room for one Alligator on my shelf.

[This message has been edited by The Ghost of Silverswift (edited 04-08-2000).]

Posts: 211 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
apache6
Member # 2909

posted 04-08-2000 01:01 PM     Profile for apache6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blah, Blah, Blah...the game is this... the game is that... You gave your real reason for returning the game in your opening statement where you said your girlfriend found the receipt. Just be a man and come out and say the truth YOU ARE PUSSYWHIPPED!!! I'll take a girl over a flight sim any day but I'm not going to let a girl tell me how many computer games I can have. OK, so go return the game and when you come home don't forget to wash the dishes and do the laundry. PUSSY!!!
Posts: 15 | From: xxx | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-08-2000 01:06 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's very funny, Apache6, I trust you were joking. But, if you were'nt, so what. I have plenty of money, and too many games that I don't play. Another reason I'm returning it is; where exactly is the lenses for the Shykvl turret? A small patch will alleviate these minor problems. But, in the meantime C-H leads the way.
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-08-2000 01:25 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I forgot a sincere LOL! . Actually, after reading your post again (with my sniperized HK GR-3 at the ready ), I found where you where coming from; I forgot that no one here is as obsessed with my life as I am. I lost my EB receipt, so I could'nt take it back! I posted that fact a few days ago, but that passed from this forum's limelight. Well, she found it in her car today, so I can now return this game, something that I wanted to do since I got it. Funny.
apache6
Member # 2909

posted 04-08-2000 01:42 PM     Profile for apache6   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So have your girlfriend drive in her car so that you to return it. Or maybe she'll let you borrow her car. If she does don't forget to pick up a box of Tampax Tampons from the drugstore on the way home or else your girlfriend might get very, very angry and won't allow you to buy any more computer games for the next six monthes.
Posts: 15 | From: xxx | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
BoDog
Member # 4142

posted 04-08-2000 01:54 PM     Profile for BoDog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can tell that Apache doesn't have a woman and probably never had one. There have to be some give and take when you have a woman. Or maybe he is one of those fifteen year olds that hang around these forums. Women....Yuk! huh Apache
apache7
Member # 4143

posted 04-08-2000 02:13 PM     Profile for apache7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey look everybody! I can get a new username too!! Just like Ghost! Unlike Ghost though I'm not so poor or pussywhipped that a $30.00 flight sim is going to cause problems with my girl or in the case of ghost--his number one swamp sow.
Posts: 4 | From: Timbuktu | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-08-2000 02:56 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, no game is perfect. It is too bad you are returning it. As far as the missile trails, I'll have to contradict you on that one. I am stationed at Ft. Campbell where there are more Chopper jocks in the 101st and 160th aviation than any where else. Op tempo for Apaches is higher here than elsewhere. The Apaches initial TOW and Hellfire launches produce a puff of smoke from the ejection and then after that it does fade. I have seen it too many times in almost 20 years in this business. Well actually you can never see that kind of firepower too many times. There maybe the occasional hint of smoke if the missile performs a radical change in the flight path on the way to the target but that is all. The Weapons Officer doesn't serve you breakfast and perform a song from Broadway. If that was going to make or break your immersion in the game, you should sign up and do this for real. The true measure of a title is if it has potential. I never expect a title to do more out of the box than function smoothly. But that is only my view. The question for me is can I improve it. With the release of Flight Sim Toolkit 2, designed by the makers of KA52 it becomes a non-issue. Changes will be made to the entire cockpit. The play factor in this title is high. I do not mean to sound harsh to your comments, in fact I respect your view. But you are making the fatal error of sim comparison instead of judging a title on it's own merits. Will the CH box leap off the shelf in jealousy because you have another Helo sim? The terrain in the game is spectacular and the night combat doesn't currently possess an equal. When I slew the Alligator around and see other choppers in my flight wing alternately turning on their spot lights or shooting from the dark with NODS, I see how good the game is. Once again that is just my take. Finally, of the two campaigns, the one in Tajikstan is about as close to real and possible as you can get. After adding in Zero G's flight characteristics patch for KA52, it has not left my CDROM drive.

[This message has been edited by Hatchet (edited 04-08-2000).]

Posts: 48 | From: 5th Special Forces Ft Campbell Ky | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
tango29er
Member # 3815

posted 04-08-2000 03:19 PM     Profile for tango29er   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
damn Hatchet,
when I read an opinion like that makes me wanna drive to the store there n then, serious.
So you could say some developers over do it
on the trails to make it more attractive
to us simmers?
How do you guys find the multiplay of TA, and if its screwed is there talk of a patch to improve? also which is better for you outa GS! & TA?

any opinions appreciated.
tango29er

[This message has been edited by tango29er (edited 04-08-2000).]

'
Member # 3472

posted 04-08-2000 03:28 PM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hatchet,
You said FST 2, will be able to modify TA. Correct?
If it's, then it's very cool.

------------------
... --- ... --- ... --- ...

Posts: 445 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-08-2000 06:03 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far as GUNSHIP, KA52 and Multiplay, I do not wish to enter a comparison of the sims. It is really ridiculous to see a title such as CH vs GUNSHIP or something similar. Let's just say that they are each unique. GUNSHIP will offer something different when M1Tank Platoon III is released and the two sims become interoperable. Remember, I am not a pilot but several of the Apache and Blackhawk jockeys are buds of ours and they enjoy hanging out with us. I believe it is because they think we're all about half crazy. They're a good bunch of guys. Anyway, Rich was over here last night and we were on my LAN setup. He has been flying Apaches for almost 2 years. He had some serious curses for the controls in GUNSHIP while flying the single missions. To quote him, "This game offers a lot in the way of the ability to recreate creep and crawl, hop and pop. But these controls suck." His biggest complaint - the tail rotor. He also did not care for their failure to setup the reverse collective properly. Now once we went to multiplay and Will (BlackHawk pilot) showed up, we brought the KA52 on line, and Rich's attitude was different. He winced over some things but he said all in all they had a good feel. Especially the feel of speed in NOE. Bear in mind this was after I installed the flight realism patch by ZeroG. It can be downloaded from http://ka52.sim-arena.com/ It is a small file about 5K. It was designed by another pilot. One of the things Rich liked about the realism patch was the bird had a tendency to right itself if not too steep in AOA or pulling pitch. The stick would center, which he says is accurate. They both thought that GUNSHIP possessed allot of possibilities but that it needed work.
KA52, they said was downright "whipass". It became evident as the three of us played KA52 that the way to succeed is to coordinate your efforts. Each of us would set our loadouts with at least one bird in heavy support. It would depend on the briefing. And then we communicated continuously. Never firing at threats we needed to avoid in order to conserve ammo or an enemy that one of the other helos was better loaded to handle. As the single player campaign, it is all about a team effort. As far as the multiplay deathmatch, I do not want to talk about all of the smoking holes I personally created on that Siberia Map.
By the way, it took Rich about a half an hour to get familiar with GUNSHIP and then we cranked all of the realism up and he kicked serious butt. His most important comment of the night came when we were setting up to play KA52 and we were discussing inaccuracies in games. He and Will were talking about Helo sims and I was discussing FPS such as Spec Ops and Rogue Spear. The Rich remarked, "Well I guess all that really matters is did you enjoy it? I mean, that's what a game is for."
Look, I see things this way. Sims are having a difficult time right now. I will buy a Sim, even if it turns out not to be the greatest thing in the world just to support the community. Besides I have done this on occasion and been pleasantly shocked. That doesn't mean you should support a title that is crap. Only it means that the community that wars with itself will not last - Ben Franklin said that a house divided cannot stand. Look at Falcon F4, a legend in the gaming community. 8 patches and counting. If they had given up on it immediately, we all would have been poorer for it. If we do not police ourselves we will all wind up with nothing more than "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and "Rollercoaster Tychoon 35" I do not get a great deal of time off. When I do, I'll do my level best to improve a title in which I see potential. And they agreed, KA52 and GUNSHIP have a truckload of potential. Attempts are being made to get the M1 Tank Platoon II editor to work in GUNSHIP.
As far as the actual multiplay for KA52, the connection was flawless and we did not have a single crash or problem in 3 hours. I have yet to play over the internet but I appreciate the direct dial feature as I usually only game with persons I know personally. SIMIS could have done a much better job on the manual and included a full size key card. I made my own after downloading the HTML keyboard copy from the same sim-arena site as above. I printed it out, color coded and laminated it. I then placed a small tab of velcro on the back. All of my sim key cards are the same way. Then whatever game is up has the key card tabbed up on the front of my full tower. I will give SIMIS kudos for a Flanker2 like instructor walk through in the training missions. All this sim needs is a good editor (FST2) and it will last a long time.

Posts: 48 | From: 5th Special Forces Ft Campbell Ky | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-08-2000 06:16 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
By the way " ' "

.... . .-.. .--. .. ... --- -. - .... .
.-- .- -.--
.... .- - -.-. .... . - --- ..- -

The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-08-2000 06:42 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, 1) to Apache6 or 7, I was having a good time reading your post, but after I realized that you're actually pyschotic, I'm just going to disregard them. And don't flatter yourself; I would'nt waste my time posting under a different name: somebody must actually know you.
But Hatchet, I was with the 3rd Ranger Bn, 88-92, so "Rangers Lead the Way!" But, I was actually specific, what I said about the rockets. I have never seen a Hellfire launch, but I have seen plenty of rocket, napalm, cannon, MG, dumb bomb, and even a LGB strike (Panama), but as far as the rockets are concerned, they don't give a white smoke trail. Hey, when did the 5th move to Campbell, I thought they were out of Ft. Sherman or something in Panama, at least in 91'? Probably after the Canal was turned over, right?

Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-08-2000 07:22 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey,
That was 3/7 (3rd Bn, 7th SF) in Panama. They have left and now C/3/7 is in Puerto Rico. We screwed the pooch when we handed the canal back over. Now they'll probably rent the JOTC out to every drug plane that needs to layover. It's secluded, there's an airstrip and nice housing. 5th Group moved out here beginning in the late 80's. I was in 5th at Bragg, but left to go to 10th SF before the move. I ETS'd and spent a couple of years "moving around" but missed the life and the guys and came back. Hell, right back to a SCUBA Team. it was like I never got out. I was back in a week, did a HALO blast and it was like old times. I have seen the mutipods on a Hind demoed and there was enough smoke from the sides that it left a cloud as the bird flew on. ALso the 2.75s on the old Cobras would put up a good whiff. You ever think about coming back?

'
Member # 3472

posted 04-08-2000 08:24 PM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hatchet
- .... . -. -.- -.-- --- ..- .-.-.

------------------
... --- ... --- ... --- ...

Posts: 445 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-08-2000 08:49 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'

-.-- --- ..- .- .-. . -- --- ... -
.-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

.... .- - -.-. .... . - --- ..- -

actually, instead of --- ..- - we use
-... - .- .-. (break out)

Jake Strafer
Member # 600

posted 04-08-2000 09:04 PM     Profile for Jake Strafer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hatchet, just FYI - Ben Franklin got that phrase from Jesus.
Posts: 239 | From: Burlington, NC, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-08-2000 10:46 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, considering we were discussing machines of war, politics, and the like, I'll stick with Ben. I am not sure of the reason that post has any bearing on the conversation at hand. I am not doubting the veracity of your statement, merely the reasoning behind it. If you wish to point out the possibility of plagiarism, tell Ben. He finished his statement with, "We must hang together, or we shall all surely hang seperately."
Charnier
unregistered

posted 04-09-2000 01:16 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Silverdrip, who really cares ... you whine alot and no one is listening. You hate TA, you hate Gunship, We should ban this and that from the forum. Buddy STFU. If you don't like it here ... go play Quake .... Or something, and leave us alone.

Tx

Chazza

IP: Logged
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-09-2000 02:33 AM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Coming back? Naaaah. It was indeed a blast, but I got it good these days; Motorcycle cop for the PD, with a brand new 2000 Harley Cop bike, that we take home. I'm my own boss, and I see alot more action. This is my 5th 3 day weekend in a row.
Versus wake up at 5:30am, run 5-8 miles, getting hollered at all day, get off at 6pm. Wake up the next day at 4:30am so some Sgt. can rummage through you personal gear (good ol'e Health&Welfare inspections), and do the same thing over. That is, if you happen to be in the barracks refit week. The field, forget about it! Don't miss that much. But I do miss the life & the friends. And the glamore. As Bob once said, "Thanks for the memories."

Hey Charnier, you spelled my name wrong!

[This message has been edited by The Ghost of Silverswift (edited 04-09-2000).]

Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-09-2000 08:21 AM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah,But that's standard fare for guys in the regular Army. That's why when someone goes to SFAS (Special Forces Assessment and Selection) and then makes it through the Q course, Language School and SERE, they show up and their jaws drop. They wonder why they didn't come over to our side earlier. We do not truck that crap over here. You can't operate in an effed command environment. As for more action, well, things are a little different than earlier years and we are busy. That is why people will see me post like mad for a couple of weeks and then there is a big gap. Busy. Then I am back etc ad nauseum. On a different note, Charnier was somewhat upset and I can see his point. If we do not like a title, well, that is certainly our right considering it is something that we have little control over. But if we damn a game and people do not buy it that otherwise might have been enthralled, well we shoot ourselves in the foot. The Sim community needs all of the help it can garner at the moment. With all of the cuts and restructuring of companies, Sims are often singled out. They do not provide the financial return of "DeerHunter 5" and other such titles and they take a mountain of time and resources to develop when the company could turn out substandard titles in months. The only truly bad Sim is the one that did not get made. Janes A10 anyone? A hardcore group of fans can change the fate of some titles, regretfully not all. SSI has been given the green light by Mattel to continue working on the Flanker 2+ series. This is due in part to a hardcore fan base that produced a fair number of mods for that game. There were fans over there that simply attacked the game, hurting sales. Others though, posted thoughtful comments to Carl and the Dev Team. Constructive comments that stated that this or that should be changed and here is why. It required some patience, but the 17 MB patch not only fixed issues, but also added a host of features. And there is an add-on coming. It would be to our own benefit were we not to post disparaging remarks of titles and possibly discourage the purchase by that one person who will mod the game and change the community's perception of it. They may even make it playable for you. Or we scare off the few people that push the sales figures just enough for the parent company to say, "Okay, let's run with this." If the game has a CTD that makes it unplayable that is one matter. But if it is an issue of taste and perception, well that is a horse of an entirely different color. If someone has a critique of a title or an observation it needs to be brought to light otherwise it will never be corrected. The times when I have something to post that I feel needs changing I encourage this method: (1) always state why it needs to be changed and offer a solution. Support the solution over the current state with facts and reasoning. (2) Follow those remarks with something positive about the title. It allows people to see there are worthwhile features and it also lets a Dev Team know what they should not change. If I do not care for a title in the least, I take it back and post nothing. As for GUNSHIP, we have been running it and the guys here will all wait for M1TPIII to see the final effect. There is no doubt allot of changes will be instituted to GUNSHIP based on feedback. So I would ask that you think about modifying earlier remarks or perhaps removing them entirely. Otherwise the time may come when their is no forum on which to post them. Take care bud.

[This message has been edited by Hatchet (edited 04-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Hatchet (edited 04-09-2000).]

WarEagle
unregistered

posted 04-09-2000 12:43 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm gonna jump in this and say oh yes. KA52 rox!!! I was circling a compound by keeping my nose on a target and swinging my tail rotor around. I came around the back side of a building and a guy started firing up at me with a machine gun. I put a rocket into the building a few feet behind him AND THE EXPLOSION BLEW HIM UP IN THE AIR! Sorry to shout but the cool factor was very, very high. It knocked him a flip about 5 or 6 feet in the air. This game smokes. When you shoot infantry guys with the cannon it looks real. I mean, I don't know but it sure looks good. There are some clipping problems that need to be fixed, just a little and it only happens once in a while and then only on autopilot. If you fly towards a target an go to an external view when you fire the cannon, dirt will fly up AND YOU SEE bullet CASINGS FROM CANNON FIRE FALLING FROM THE HELICOPTER! Sorry for yelling again. I thought about that last post Hatchet, and I think we probably should think more before we start trashing a game. Hey gunship isn't the best flight model but the concept is way cool and a lot of fun. I think if we support it they will do more work on it. If we don't support it the won't work on it at all. I'm just in the 9th grade but that seems to make sense to me. I like zooming in to see a missile I fired smack down on top of a tank in the town. I gotta fly my Hokum, later dudes and dudettes!
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-09-2000 01:09 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, don't get me wrong! I really do think that TA is a pretty good game! I just had some minor, patchable issues with it, that led to my decision to return it. I have waaaaaay to many games, and not enough time to possible master them all. There was a point that I never returned games, unless they were just too crappy to play. One day I woke up and I found that I had over dozen games that I have'nt played in over a year. Some, I only played for a matter of minutes (enter "Starsiege"), before I put it on my shelf. So this practice had to stop. I now only try to buy games that I know will have a long Hard Drive life. And I leave the rest. In the case of TA, since I could tell that C-H would be taking up all my CPU time, I could'nt justify keeping it, considering it's shortcomings.
Hey Hatchet, I went though SFAS in, I think, Mar 91'. Tough course indeed. And ironically enough, that's what sealed my decision to ETS. I passed it, but since I was'nt 11 series (FO), as you know, I only had the option of Medic or Commo. Well, those did'nt appeal to me; the length of the medic training, or the difficulty of learning Morse for commo. I ended up picking commo, but when I got back to the Bat, everybody was talking about the early outs, and after getting my *** kicked at SFAS, I decided to apply for one. There had to be a better life than that at the time, I thought. As it happens, it took, oh about 8 months of red tape to get my out (I only got out 2 months early, bastards), & in the interim, I got travel orders for my SF interview, at Bragg, in I think Nov or Dec of 91'. Since I had applied for this out, and my original ETS was May 92, I would've had to extend or reenlist for training (I forgot which). Well, I called Bragg and told them I was'nt interested anymore. To tell you the truth, I don't think I would've passed Morse Code anyway. I see you did.

Be safe! Sua Sponte.

[This message has been edited by The Ghost of Silverswift (edited 04-09-2000).]

Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-09-2000 01:27 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you went through SFAS in '91 I had quite a few buds working on the committee. One friend of mine, who I will not mention by name but you may remember, used to walk into the big butler building used for classes carrying one of the telephone poles for log drills by himself, and toss it onto the stage. I was at Mackall then working on the SFQC Phase I committee.
Shadowcat
unregistered

posted 04-10-2000 04:03 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hatchet, a fine post above on a good constructive attitude to take when writing a critique of a new sim. I would dearly love to see more people take point (2) to heart.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.