my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Gunship! Whoa!!!!!!

Author Topic: Gunship! Whoa!!!!!!
Sparrow_52nd
Member # 4083

posted 04-07-2000 09:32 PM     Profile for Sparrow_52nd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've heard a bunch of stuff going around that gunship sucks and things of that sort.I just bought it today and it is great.The graphics are the best i've seen.If you don't think so crank everything up to high and put the res at 1600x1200x32 and its great.I've also heard a few complaints about waypoints.there hard at first to learn how to do but after that its easy and you can place new ones while in the game.also the sound effects are great and immersive.theres also a complaint about the smoke effects being exxagerated on the helfire but i'm in contact with an actual pilot of the ah-64 and he says it's very realistic.also what's just sooooooooo wrong with the flight model.I've heard a lot of complaints about this and it aggravates me.I think it's superb.If youve flown the actual chopper than youd think it was realistic to!Maybe C-H will be better but Gunship is definitely worth the investment.I don't want to offend anyone as this is strictly my oppinon(and my pilot friend as well)I've based this on playing and thorough examination.The flight model may seem difficult at first but once you get the hang of it it's a cinch to fly.I can perform almost any manuever without crashing.Practice makes perfect.The game is also very fun with a very wide array of vehicles.Is there anyone else that feels the same way?BTW if any thing is wrong I'm sure Microprose will clear it all up with a patch.Whatever you find wrong with Gunship! please post in your reply so i can notify microprose of the problem and maybe get it fixed ASAP.Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Sparrow_52nd (edited 04-07-2000).]

Posts: 54 | From: Austin,Texas,US | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
KDC
Member # 3407

posted 04-07-2000 10:28 PM     Profile for KDC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with you on this one - I really am enjoying GS (of course I'm really looking forward to CH too), but some of the hardcore snobs here are determined to influence the decisions and opinions of others. I said I liked GS and one guy said that it was fine "...as long as (you) know its faults, that is." How genourous of him....

Just wait to see who lines up behind this post to discredit anyone saying they like the game - warts and all. oh well, some people really feel important this way...

Posts: 57 | From: Princeton,NJ | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
WF_Ramses
Member # 4039

posted 04-08-2000 01:52 AM     Profile for WF_Ramses   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you want equel minded about Gunship goto>>http://wfclan.homepage.com/gunship.html

Although I myself play C vs H I have Gunship to and find it rather good....look at the spec. on the site.

Greets, WF_Ramses (webmaster of the WF clan)

Posts: 53 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow_52nd
Member # 4083

posted 04-08-2000 08:45 AM     Profile for Sparrow_52nd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've recently looked at wfclan homepage(or was it wc)and they have gunship and c/h on a comparison table.They have gunship as the overall winner so it must be worth something.
RanRodee
Member # 350

posted 04-08-2000 09:25 AM     Profile for RanRodee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmmm... I am puzzled now. Flipping through my Favorites, I found a german game mag http://www.gamestar.de that awarded Gunship! with a Star (which means it achieved a high rating).
Interesting... The reviewer is talking more about the combat aspect than he mentions any flight-modelling issues...
So, after seeing GS! at hastings last night, I was torn between buying it or Episode I special edition... well... I got the StarWars movie...
Whatcha say? should I get GS! anyway? I kinda like the idea of a groundwar where I can fly around in.... Lemme know...

------------------
Visit the OklaCity GameDomain. Stop by and populate the Forums :)
http://members.xoom.com/RainGaming fellow gamers wanted to participate and make the site a better site :)

Posts: 215 | From: Oklahoma CIty, OK, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow_52nd
Member # 4083

posted 04-08-2000 09:49 AM     Profile for Sparrow_52nd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is definitely worth getting.Theres a lot of people on here that think it's crap but it is really a great game.Yea so maybe a thing or two is wrong with it but it's hardly noticeable.Besides not every game is flawless.I know for a fact some things about about C-H that people won't like.Also features that arent there that are in Gunship.
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 04-08-2000 09:56 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Should you buy GS!? Depends really on what you are looking for in a game. If you just like heli sims, and want the best allround bugfree experience, I would pick C/H.
There are plenty of the C/H beta testers around to help you out if you get in a bind. If you find a bug and report it, they are on it. If that doesn`t inspire faith in a product, I don`t know what will.

P.S. I have GS!.

[This message has been edited by Shataan (edited 04-08-2000).]

Blackhawk
Member # 1160

posted 04-09-2000 11:53 AM     Profile for Blackhawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
.theres also a complaint about the smoke effects being exxagerated on the helfire but i'm in contact with an actual pilot of the ah-64 and he says it's very realistic.

Where, and what unit? So that I may have him talk to my friends over at the 1/4 aviation Attack Bn. BTW next time I go to NTC I'll try to tape some of the Live Fire.

also what's just sooooooooo wrong with the flight model.I've heard a lot of complaints about this and it aggravates me.

Blackhawk: It aggravates me too. To think that their (Microprose)depiction of a helicopters flight model is that of an Tie-Fighter.

I think it's superb.If youve flown the actual chopper than youd think it was realistic to!

Blackhawk: Not the Apache but what I consider something better (read my name ),and trust me it doesn't fly like that.

The flight model may seem difficult at first but once you get the hang of it it's a cinch to fly.I can perform almost any manuever without crashing.

Blackhawk: That's the problem. I find it hard to crash. Dump the collective when you're about or say 1,100 ft. See what happens? Bounce right up huh? Do that on a building, or on the ground, but don't try that on a tree BTW you can fly thru some buildings too.

Whatever you find wrong with Gunship! please post in your reply so i can notify microprose of the problem and maybe get it fixed ASAP.Thanks.

Blackhawk: First let's work on a flight model.

[This message has been edited by Sparrow_52nd (edited 04-07-2000).][/B]

Posts: 60 | From: Fort HoodTexas | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.