my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » KA52 Review

Author Topic: KA52 Review
Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-07-2000 10:24 AM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is there a possibility of seeing the second half of the KA52 Review in the near future? This is a most excellent game and it is a travesty it was pushed out to the public with little fanfare. I purchased the game and began to play at the exclusion of all other titles. It functions flawlessly with Game Commander and the graphics on My GeForce AnniPro are eye popping. All for $29. When gunship premiered, it stayed in my CDROM drive for a couple of hours. I have been back with KA52 ever since. The GUNSHIP terrain was almost completely flat, where as in KA52 you not only operated in rolling hills, BUT IN CRAGGY MOUNTAIN PASSES! Finally there is mindset. KA52 is very much in line with current Russian doctrine. Rather than be told as in GUNSHIP - your mission is to interdict such and such, KA52 gets real. For example, in one of the 2 campaigns, while fighting the muslim insurgency (Hello , current news and real) you are given a mission where one of the objectives is - Taleban leader must be killed. Not removed, not made ineffective or some other euphemism, K-I-L-L-E-D. The game has a good edge to it and will provide great action, sound, and graphics. Speaking of sound, you overfly an enemy position and you will here AA sounds pan in and fade out perfectly. A must play sim.

[This message has been edited by Hatchet (edited 04-07-2000).]

Posts: 48 | From: 5th Special Forces Ft Campbell Ky | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eric W.
unregistered

posted 04-07-2000 11:39 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with you. I'm glad you mentioned Game Commander, I was thinking about picking it up for KA-52 and A-H.

KA-52 is worth the money. It looks great, terrain is tactical, and it is fun. It does need a patch like all other games these days, but it is playable and enjoyable in its current state.

It has seemed to have received some not so positive comments in some of the postings. For the majority of us that are waiting till July for C-H, this is the helo sim you should be flying.

Eric

IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 04-07-2000 11:47 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree... KA 52 does lots right. Force Feedback is great, terrain looks awesome on my Ann. Pro, sounds are great. I am just not attracted to the heli itself. Had it been an Apache sim, hell yeah. Too bad they didn`t make Team Apache II.
Game Commander is very cool, and a must have IMHO.

Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 04-07-2000 01:17 PM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Also agreed, TA is very enjoyable, mainly the gorgious speed feeling for me. With 200 km/h into the canyons with that rich helo sound and decent rumble from the subwoofers under my chair, whow, I'm getting sweaty hands all the time. Terrain is great, mission variation and AI are acceptable, too.
Jackal

Andys
unregistered

posted 04-07-2000 02:10 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i think KA52 become Flanker2 for helo sims very soon.
IP: Logged
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 04-07-2000 04:32 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am sure glad to see more people getting behind TA. I am not sure that the person who wrote part one of the TA review finished part two before he moved on to do other things.

------------------
Z

Posts: 374 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Corky4
Member # 2649

posted 04-08-2000 09:29 AM     Profile for Corky4   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Game Commander? What does it do and where can I get it.

Thanks

Posts: 29 | From: St. Louis Mo | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tomac
Member # 3762

posted 04-08-2000 09:36 AM     Profile for Tomac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't gotten very far in TA yet (finally figured out the problems with my RCS rudder pedals) but so far I love it, I completely agree about the speed sensation when zooming along just off the deck. Sense of low altitude is very good as well, I can zip along the canyons maintaining an altitude of about 10m w/o needed the HUD altitude readout.
Corky4, Game Commander allows you to program voice commands for keyboard commands so you can say (for example) "Flaps Up" to raise flaps or "Eject" to punch out. Here's their website: http://www.gamecommander.com/
Tomac

Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 04-08-2000 10:03 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doh? Doh. ;0) What he said.

[This message has been edited by Shataan (edited 04-08-2000).]

Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-08-2000 11:25 AM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are quite a few and varied commands that can be given to wingmen in KA52. By allocating your wingman to different flights and hence radio channels, during mission planning, and you can really see the need and advantage of Game Commander. You now have the ability to fly in and send radio traffic that will allow a wolfpack of Alligators to obliterate an enemy through coordinated and effective control. And Alligator wolfpacks are Russian helo doctrine. There is also one other feature available in KA52 that you will not find in other helo sims. The KA52 can mount the KAREN missile. If you have not had the opportunity to use this in a mission it is amazing. It is a precision, laser guided heavy munition designed to take out bridges, bunkers and large static objects. It wreaks an incredible amount of destruction. You can only mount two at a time, but one will obliterate a large bridge. Finally, has anyone installed Zero G's flight model realism patch for KA52? I have enjoyed his handiwork immensely. He is a Helo pilot and tweaked the flight model for more realism. The accompaning read me file has some settings suggestions. It is a small file, about 5K. You can grab it at the Sim-Arena KA52 page here: http://ka52.sim-arena.com/
Good hunting!

Posts: 48 | From: 5th Special Forces Ft Campbell Ky | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Johnny
Member # 3636

posted 04-08-2000 11:39 AM     Profile for Johnny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to run Ka52
with Voodoo Banshee?!?

Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-08-2000 12:09 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What are your current system specs and what kind of problems are you having? Is it the full version or the demo? Shoot the info and we'll do everything we can to help.
Johnny
Member # 3636

posted 04-08-2000 04:30 PM     Profile for Johnny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
System is P400 @ 450, RAM 256MB, Diamond Monster Fusion with 3dfx reference drivers and Turtle Beach Montego II sound card. The problem is that when I choose for example a quick flight the mission loads up (the status bar goes all the way) but when it is about to switch to the game I get CTD. I tried different drivers but it didn't help
Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-08-2000 04:51 PM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is your Monster card an AGP or PCI card? If it is a PCI card is your motherboard chipset an i820? There are allot of times that the soundcard is responsible for video issues or crashes. One thing you can do to isolate the problem is to eliminate the sound card as a possible source of the problem. Go to the device manager and remove all references to the soundcard - SB legacy or emulation, midiplayer etc. Shut down your system and remove it. Boot back up and attempt to run the game. If it runs we are closer to solving the problem. If it does not run, we are still closer as we have eliminated a possible culprit. Once you have attempted to run the game - successfully or not - shut down and reinstall the card. Boot back up and the system will find the card and reinstall all of the software. The software and drivers are still there. The system did not load them because the card was removed. This solves the problem of having to remove software also and is about 99% as effective as wiping out everything. Also, what version of reference driver for the Banshee are you using? Also does CTD only occur in Instant Action?
Johnny
Member # 3636

posted 04-09-2000 09:38 AM     Profile for Johnny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Video is AGP and the mobo is 440BX. The procedure with the sound card didn't help
Hatchet
Member # 4103

posted 04-09-2000 09:41 AM     Profile for Hatchet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What version of driver are you using for your Banshee?
Johnny
Member # 3636

posted 04-09-2000 05:15 PM     Profile for Johnny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Latest reference drivers from 3dfx version 1.04.00
Keyser Soze
Member # 3958

posted 04-11-2000 02:33 AM     Profile for Keyser Soze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
Latest reference drivers from 3dfx version 1.04.00

As long as you are using DirectX 7.0a then this should work fine. I'll have a chat with my lead coder on this and see what could be happening.

Neil

------------------
Neil Soane
Project Director
Kuju Entertainment Ltd
(Simis & GlassGhost studios)

Posts: 13 | From: Godalming, England | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.