my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » New helo pilot hover problem

Author Topic: New helo pilot hover problem
graemejward
Member # 2040

posted 04-06-2000 03:37 PM     Profile for graemejward   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm going to start this thread with an apology.
Sorry for asking such a daft question but I can't get to grip with this hovering technique.
As I mentioned in a earlier posting in this forum I'm a converted flight sim pilot.
Every time I play this sim It blows me away, what a fantastic game.
Anyway I've been reading the manual,doing some cross over training (plane to helo),and I was attempting to try some of the basic techniques I had been reading about in the ground school section.
Every time I start to climb my helo goes forward, I'm not touching the cyclic stick.
Now this might be the way it is suppose to go, but I got the impression from reading the manual that the helo just keeps climbing until you move the cyclic stick.
I thought it might be my stick, so I attempted it with keyboard arrow keys as the cyclic controls.
The same thing happened again, shoot forward the moment it left the ground.
I have been messing about for a while trying to get this technique and I'm no better now as I was then.
Is there something I'm missing?
Again I apologies to all you pros out there for asking a pretty basic question but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Greame.
By the way I'm flying the Hokum.

Posts: 41 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TetsuBo
Member # 330

posted 04-06-2000 03:44 PM     Profile for TetsuBo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You have to pull back slightly on the cyclic to maintain a hover. I'm not sure why but it does move forward automatically, you'd think the rotordisc would just force the helo to level if you let the cyclic be.
I'd also like to know why this is.

BTW I doubt there's any need for an apology, I usually do the same thing when posting on a plane sim forum tho.

------------------
I am TetsuBo, eater of cookies and souls

[This message has been edited by TetsuBo (edited 04-06-2000).]

Posts: 127 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
graemejward
Member # 2040

posted 04-06-2000 04:54 PM     Profile for graemejward   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm still trying, thanks tetsubo.
Graeme

Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 04-06-2000 05:52 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you need help hovering, hit the O key to bring up the HOVER mode.

When that little acceleration line is near centre you are pretty close to a hover. Move the joystick to reduce the accerleration and hit the "T" key to enable the joystick trim (it's actually a stick hold feature).

You can let go of the stick. You can repeat the above to fine-tune your trim.

I tend to use trim a lot (more than any other button). It can minimise your workload.

If you have a really hard time, use the "H" key.

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
graemejward
Member # 2040

posted 04-07-2000 04:43 PM     Profile for graemejward   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot richard,great help.
Plenty of practice is the name I think.
Thanks again,
Graeme.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

İ COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.