my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Campaign Woes.

Author Topic: Campaign Woes.
Charnier
unregistered

posted 04-05-2000 02:02 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have been involved in the Taiwan campaign for 3 days straight now and I thought I would share some of my experiences. The campaign engine is one of the best I have seen but does have some slight problems.

1. Looking at my map, I saw 2 Enemy Blackhawks moving towards one of my bases that 2 Apaches had just blasted. I Switched to the base view and saw the Blackhawks landing and then deploying troops (Very Cool). I immediately found 2 Flankers on CAP and sent them to intercept the 2 Blackhawks who were now leaving the scene. The Flankers arrived above the Blackhawks but no matter what I did, they just didn't do anything (Disappointing). I looked at the map again and saw that 2 Hinds who were on the way to an insertion. I immediately redirected them on an intercept course with the Blackhawks. Again, NOTHING. This is sad in my opinion. It really isn't a compelling campaign scenario when the enemy can just fly in and out of the AAA/SAM/CAP umbrella unchallenged.

2. Has been Mentioned before I know but what is with the Flares and Chaff. I have seen Apaches and Comanches alike avoiding 2 or 3 Iglas at a time.

3. Armor doesnt seem to respond to being attacked. I know some here have said that armor will not run when it is attacked but I have seen footage on Discovery etc of Armor "running" when they are attacked. I find it hard to believe they would just complacently sit there and be picked of one by one (This is not difficulty level specific because I am playing on hard).

4. Weather and Environment are some of the best I have seen in any game. In a word, Stunning.

5. I realise this is a minor gripe but I would really like to see more troops. Not since HIND have we seen ground troops brandishing AKs etc and actually looking like they are in the war. It adds so much. I remember in HIND when taking off from the airports there were troops all over the Airport moving around etc. It was really cool and really made it feel like you were there. I also remember Flying over Afghani troops and mowing them down with the Hinds 23mm Gun pods. This has never been replicated but was really cool. Maybe I just haven't seen troop movement but in GS, TA and C/H there are troops but they seem to just be glued to one spot with P/SAMs. Kinda lame.

Anyway these are a few of the things I've noticed and while they are negative the game still ROX. I guess we will (At least I will) always want more but I cannot praise Razorworks highly enough for a FANTASTIC and ENGROSSING Sim.

Kudos,

Charnier

IP: Logged
Charlie
Member # 2314

posted 04-05-2000 05:26 PM     Profile for Charlie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Charnier,

I'd like to comment on point number 3. As I understand it being under attack is a very chaotic thing (at least practising it is a mess) and I could really see it as realistic (sometimes) that tanks just stay in position "waiting to get killed". The commander is waiting for orders from the platoon leader and he is waiting for orders from higher up and nobody really has a clue to what's going on. So everybody just sits there for a while trying to figure out what to do and if you have a handful of missiles bearing down on you there won't be time to do much more than that. Helicopters are very hard to spot in a distance and even after they fire and you spot them it takes a while to figure out what to do(turn your gun on them and fire or pop smoke and backup?). They also have a tendency to show up where you least of all expect it

I had a drink with a Bo 105 pilot once and he told me that on a an exercise they had been hovering in a firebreak next to a road when a platoon of tanks passed just in front of them without spotting the helicopter. He then proceeded out on the road, did a turn a shot all three tanks from behind with three TOWs

But if there is one thing that is for certain: in combat everything is a mess and you cannot really sit down and analyse it and say that this will never happen and that will always happen and they won't do that.... and so on.

I'll just take the opportunity to ask another question about this game while I'm at it. Is it more difficult to spot units in C/H than in A/H? I often think that the AI is a bit too good at identifying threats. If a target moves, fine, it's easy to spot. But if a target is stationary I think it should be hard to find. The enemy won't just place their vehicles on a field, in a bunch, without camouflage. They place them under the biggest trees they can find and then pile a bunch of crap on top so they won't look like tanks anymore. It would be really nice with a sim that made it a bit harder to actually find what your looking for. Team Apache actually had troops that were really hard to find but then the game wasn't really a sim that I liked so..... anyhow, just my opinion.

Charlie out

Posts: 82 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
K6_Scorp
Member # 4025

posted 04-05-2000 10:29 PM     Profile for K6_Scorp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Addressing Point 2:
The same goes for the red team. I was in free flight, flew into an ememy airstrip and could not shoot down the large aircraft with the AA missle. I had it set to unlimited ammo, so I just launched a continuous volley and every single missle either hit a flare or went into the ground (presumably where the excess flare's lay). I did however use the ground radar to lock onto a taxiing aircraft with a hellfire and destroy it that way. Still love the game though.

------------------
Shoot - Move - Communicate

Posts: 195 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 04-06-2000 04:26 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AI flights have their mission and stick to it unless they are attacked.
As for the CAP not engaging, they might not have been able to pickup the contacts. Or, their mission goal is the initial CAp area, not the one you dragged 'em to.
Redirecting the Hinds won't help you either cause they too had their mission and would not risk it for a lucky shot on the BHs.
Besides, not much sense in killing them *after* they took over the FARP (other then weakening resources in general).

I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to see more attacks on targets of opportunity though.

Blaze

Renegade1-1
Member # 3512

posted 04-06-2000 09:53 AM     Profile for Renegade1-1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How can I change the last Waypoint W(Landing). It is very time-consuming
to fly each time to the start/landing waypoint W, if you can land near your target.

------------------

Posts: 46 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 04-06-2000 12:34 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can't change the target or the landing waypoint.
Helos are assigned to certain FARPs by HQ (the campaign engine) so you can't just relocate them to where you want

You can however land wherever you want and quit the mission (or even quit in flight), the AI will take over and fly home.

Blaze

Renegade1-1
Member # 3512

posted 04-06-2000 03:19 PM     Profile for Renegade1-1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hope these features (create own "Scout Missions" and select a landing point of your choice) will be inserted by a patch from Razorworks!

------------------

Posts: 46 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 04-07-2000 12:00 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What would you gain by "officially" creating scout missions and altering landing waypoints?

Blaze

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.