my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » need video card advice...

Author Topic: need video card advice...
S|im
Member # 1377

posted 04-05-2000 08:01 AM     Profile for S|im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay guys, am looking for some advice. In the market right now for a new video card. a 2d/3d performer is a must. Ive read I dont know how many reviews, but it starts to get foggy after hearing so much compariosn from one card to another. I havent been really keeping up with the latest in hardware..so thats half my problem, I just dont know whats good and what isnt anymore.

It sounds like the Matrox g400 and g400max are sweet in the way of quality 3d, but not show stoppers when it comes to performance. It sounds like the Guillemot Xentor 3d gamer is a nice way to go as well.

Im running a 400 celeron, 128mb ram. Currently looking for something to replace my aging viper 550 16mb agp, and 2 voodoo2's in sli.

Atleats this way Ill have another primary capable card so I can add to my five systam lan.

Anyhelp is much appreciated, or point me in the direction of the most honest, easy review comparions available

thanks in advance

huey148
unregistered

posted 04-05-2000 08:11 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I recently picked up an OEM version of the Voodoo3 3000 w/o TV out for $129 and it has worked well for a cheap gaming card. I ordered a card cooler unit from www.thecardcooler.com and the powerstrip utility from www.powerstrip.com and have sucessuly oc'd it from it's default 166 mhz to 185 mhz, surpasing it's big brother the 3500's 183 mhz. I was on a budget. Total cost including cooler was around $160. For about $275 - $300 you should go for the Creative Labs Anihalator (sp?) I have a friend that bought one and the GeForce unit lives up to it's hype.
IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 04-05-2000 08:27 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would go the best and cheapest you can get at this time. Voodoo 3. I myself have a Geforce Ann. Pro... 498 bucks Canadian paid last Christmas. And I will still be waiting awhile till a game actually comes that takes true advantage of its capabilities.
By the time Christmas rolls around again, voodoo 5 and 6, Geforce II, and who knows what else will be out by then.
Voodoo 3 seems to have no compatibility problems. I would get the PCI version possibly because PCI is more tolerant of o/cing. Not sure how o/cing the agp bus affects voodoo 3 agp cards.
Anyways, I would buy a cheap voodoo 3, and play the waiting game.

S|im
Member # 1377

posted 04-05-2000 09:35 AM     Profile for S|im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks for the advice so far fellas.

Only thing with buying a voodoo card is they max out at 16mb, and I already have a 16mb card, and 2 12mb in sli...so only to buy another one is kinda defeating the purpose.

But you are right. Aint this just the time..as soon as you shell out the money, the new ones hit the market!

When are all the new cards due out? If it isnt until Christmas then I will feel okay buying one now. If there are new ones coming shortly then I will end up waiting.

Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 04-05-2000 09:43 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Geforce II within the next 2 to 3 months apparently. I thought voodoo 3s were 32 meg cards?
Remember when the new ones do come, they will be high priced, this is why the ones out now will drop in price, so when the top voodoo at this time drops in price, grab it then.

Or grab a voodoo 3 2000, as I hear they clock right up to 3000 speeds. And they are cheap.

[This message has been edited by Shataan (edited 04-05-2000).]

John Reynolds
Member # 78

posted 04-05-2000 09:44 AM     Profile for John Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The V5s should be on store shelves in early May, and the NV15 (GeForce 2) is expected to be announced later this month, with shipping to occur sometime after that (obviously).
Posts: 33 | From: Dayton, Ohio | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
S|im
Member # 1377

posted 04-05-2000 10:59 AM     Profile for S|im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay thanks again guys.

The last I heard was that the voodoo 6 was being held off until christmas? But the 5's will be making it out next month, as you say John.

My game plan was in fact to wait until new cards come out so the current ones drop in price, but I was strating to get depserate with no news of new releases.

And about the voodoo's I thought they were 32mb also, but I checked out 3dfx.com and they only say 16mb. Checked a couple online stores and they were all listed as 16mb cards as well. Shows how much Ive been keeping with hardware thje last couple months.
hah

Thanks again guys.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.