my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Stinger employment in C/H

Author Topic: Stinger employment in C/H
Yorkshire Tea
Member # 170

posted 04-04-2000 03:38 AM     Profile for Yorkshire Tea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Anyone got any decent tips for stinger employment in C/H? I've only got a 33% hit rate with these things. They seem to be VERY easily distracted by flares.

Secondly, how do you make AI wingmen SUCESSFULLY engage with them. Most of the time they say 'engaging', point the nose of the helo to the ground and launch the missile into the dirt. One wingman (who will remain nameless to spare his shame) launched an entire load of stingers into the ground in front of him on a CAP mission.

Thirdly, do helos with 'return' missions engage other helos? I've not seen this happen even when the returning craft have spare ordnance. Are they conserving fuel/their necks?

Finally, I don't want anyone to think I'm being negative about this sim. I'm at work and posting about it, and want to go home and play it. You all have to buy it to give Razorworks money to make the next one

Posts: 315 | From: leeds | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 04-04-2000 06:52 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep, flares are IMO über-effective in this game (except for Hinds, which are shooting them into the ground ). To be fair, it's the same game for all so it helps you too.
During the beta there was discussion to reduce the effectivness but it looks like it didn't make it in.

As for AI helos firing missiles into the ground, it's about the same, the enemy AI does that too. I guess that can be patched.

Helos on "return" won't engage unless they are actively threatened. Again, it's the same for all, you might often stumble over an enemy flight and they won't take notice of you unless you attack them. The primary mission always has priority it seems.

Blaze

[This message has been edited by Blaze (edited 04-04-2000).]

Ozias
unregistered

posted 04-04-2000 06:14 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Would you prefer the flare/chaff effectiveness to be reduced from 66% to the supposedly more realistic figure of 12% that is modelled in flanker 2?

IP: Logged
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 04-04-2000 07:18 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Effectiveness probably is closer to 10-20% than 60+

Flares burn for three seconds, so if you can time a second missile to almost reach the CMs and have it at an aspect that it can reacquire your target once the decoy dies you can get a missile through - sometimes.

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Yorkshire Tea
Member # 170

posted 04-05-2000 04:16 AM     Profile for Yorkshire Tea   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ozias,

My 33% hit rate includes all of my dumb launches (i.e. into the ground, at poor aspect angles, during snap turns etc.) as well as the flare percentage. As for how effective flares would be, I'd suggest that a sim should include that as part of its difficulty settings. Missile evaison in Flanker 2 is certainly (ahem) challenging.

Flexman,
I reread your excellent Apache/Havoc guide last night and noted the 'flares last for 3 seconds' bit and had therefore started to try and get closer and time my launches better.

Posts: 315 | From: leeds | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.