my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » I need some advice from the owners of both C-H & TA

Author Topic: I need some advice from the owners of both C-H & TA
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-03-2000 03:01 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got back from EB to retrun LeMans. BTW, don't bother with that crap, no matter how much it appeals to you. Anyway, with my girlfriend hot on my heels to get out of there, I picked up TA in exchange (@ $29.99). Well, it's not opened, and I don't know if I will. So, to the aforementioned owners of both; Is it worth it to keep it, with my order of C-H a few days away from Empire?
Posts: 211 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scout
Member # 657

posted 04-03-2000 03:19 PM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heheh I don't own either yet, but if judging by Ka-52 demo/reviews/posts here and elsewhere its a very nice sim that will most likely have a very short harddisk life. It has 2 campaigns with some 15 missions in each (correct me if I'm wrong) or something to that effect and no mission editor to speak of.

But I heard the night flying is very nice. The FM is so so and it still has some driver problems that the demo had. So, if you're ok with this short-term but intense entertainment - get it. I don't think there will be many addons and user mods for this title in the long run, i.e no user following.
You get the picture. Just remember that I don't have a full version yet. So thanks for putting up with my babbling.

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 04-03-2000 06:45 PM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Btw, when we beta tested TA they were 3 campaigns (Belarus, Tajikistan & Siberia). So i dunno exactly what the hell GT Infograme has done to TA, but they sure messed it alright.

FYI here's what infos we had for the campaigns:

Belarus will be a fairly rolling terrain, broken by many hills and ridges and with wide valleys and one long river, as well as some lakes.

Tajikistan will have a number of broad North-South river valleys flanked by precipitous hills and low mountains.

Siberia is the scene for the training missions and the head-to-head networked missions

Enforcer.

[This message has been edited by Enforcer (edited 04-03-2000).]

Posts: 342 | From: Brossard, Québec, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-03-2000 08:38 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...Still have'nt opened it, but it's-a-callin-me. I think part of my lack of indulgence stems from not wanting to spoil the C-H experience, once I do get it. But it takes soooo long......
Eric W.
unregistered

posted 04-03-2000 08:59 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Open TA. I have had it about 2 weeks and enjoy it. Graphically it is outstanding. It is worth the money.

Siberia is still in it, just for the multiplayer aspect.

If you have lockups or CTDs be sure to read the postings about drivers and sound cards.
I have had zero problems.

Eric

IP: Logged
Swampthing
Member # 388

posted 04-03-2000 09:34 PM     Profile for Swampthing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get C/H definately. Team alligator might be fun for a couple weeks but then there won't be anything more to do with it. It's got a very limited amount of multiplayer missions, and no mission editor. You can't play campaigns in multi either. I would have taken it back but comanche/hokum came from the UK after the return period was up. Comanche has a dynamic campaign and the replayability is there for a LONG time. Plus the FM's are better in C/H. C/H wins bigtime over KA52 in my book. Unless your a PURE eye candy guy, i have to recommend you get C/H over KA52.
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-04-2000 10:11 AM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I got an E-mail from Empire, stating that my copy will go out today, so I suspect that I'll get it next Monday. So, I'm off Saturday & Sunday. TA is still unopened. Lucky for me, it's in my girlfriend's car. But, I still don't know if I should break the seal. Is TA really so inferior to C-H?
Hendo
Member # 3045

posted 04-04-2000 11:15 AM     Profile for Hendo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you got it at EB you can still return it even if you opened it. I think you have up to 10 days.
Posts: 17 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
JA
unregistered

posted 04-04-2000 11:30 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whatever happened to that CH demo you posted something about a while ago?

I'm really excited about CH but to get my Kamov fix, I did buy TA - and it's excellent in many (but by no means all) respects. The terrain (countless depressions, gullies, hills, trees, buildings, telephone poles, and so on) and sense of flight (ground rush, cockpit shake, etc.) is fantastic, the FM seems fine since the Zero G/De Janitor fix. The sounds, especially rotor/engine sounds, are very good. The helo "wolfpack" aspect is great too, as is the weapons modelling and simulation of tank countermeasures and defenses - ARENA, ERA, and the like. It does make you adopt realistic tactics - seeking cover, hitting armored vehicles from the right angle with the right weapons, and that sort of thing (although the player's helicopter seems overly damage-resistant). It arguably has two major problems - the avionics are awfully simplified, and unless a mission editor is added, the replayability will probably suffer in the long run.

I don't think it would "spoil" you for CH - they look to be quite different. I imagine CH will be the winner in the end, but I don't regret my TA purchase at all - on the contrary, I have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of it and expect many more.

I do wonder what CH's framerates will be like like, with all those dynamic units and the super-detailed cockpits and animated crew. TA runs very quickly for me.

I hope this is helpful.

Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 04-04-2000 12:20 PM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fully agree with JA regarding TA, it's a very intense helo experience. Best terrain compromise between details and map size, lots of tactical places to hide and seek, quite immersive, reasonable AI. Very limited avionics, focused on team control instead.
Limited missions.
And now C-H:
The intelligent and complex campaign with a lot of tactical depth can be already noticed in C-H after a short while. Very nice cockpits and good compromise regarding complex avionics, exactly on a level which doesn't overwhelm. Very believable flight model, although not that intense helo flight sensation. Absolutely stunning dynamic objects, lot of attention to details. If you are focused on that, you can probably accept the abstract terrain with very low static object density and the somewhat bland and much too often repeated comms (sometimes far away from any textbook accuracy). Compared to TA, the terrain is a bit like ‚We couldn't avoid it'.
TA has better framerates at the same resolution, on the other hand C-H is much more stable.
Anyway, both great sims, no doubt.
Jackal

Swampthing
Member # 388

posted 04-04-2000 02:17 PM     Profile for Swampthing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I might have been misconstrued. TA isn't inferior to C/H so much as it's limited. The graphics in TA are better overall than C/H i'd say, except for the object detail. C/H still wins there, the object detail is phenomenal. But overall TA looks better due to the better textured landscapes. My whole beef with TA is that it's pretty canned. Once you do the campaigns, they seem to be the same thing over and over. Plus like I said there's no mission editor and a severe lack of multiplayer missions. there's 16 multi missions. So once you've done the campaigns, there's not much left. For the price you can't go wrong and if you can afford both I'd keep both. But if it's an either or situation i'd still say C/H as you'll get more long term bang for your buck. Especially if you have apache/havoc as well.
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-04-2000 11:42 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was under the impression, from reading TA's PR stuff, that the basic campaign is about 10-12 missions. However, if some of your pilots go down, it could be alot longer, with rescue missions and support missions for them, would be generated. Very much like the campaign engine in A-H. Is that true, or just so much BS?
Jake Strafer
Member # 600

posted 04-05-2000 12:10 AM     Profile for Jake Strafer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everyone's saying that C/H has longevity; does that mean then that it has either a mission editor or mission generator?
Posts: 239 | From: Burlington, NC, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-05-2000 11:39 AM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I caved and opened it last night. And I must say, that initially the title is impressive, but is clearly only worth 29.99 to me, with the impending arrival of C-H. For one, the cockpits are'nt as detailed, but that probably evens out, because the terrain looks better. In addition, there are some very distracting graphic annomolies going on, using a DDR. So the juries still out, but it's okay, I suppose.
I really did'nt want to talk about that demo thing anymore, because I did'nt want to named BSr of the year. But, like I said the game crashed and would'nt reload. And I went to re-install it, but I could'nt find it. I download stuff to a special folder automatically, and in this instance, I opened it right away, at the prompt in IE. Well, I pretty sure I put the demo in this folder but when I went to get it, I could'nt find it. Not even with a search. Now this was the first time I ever opened anything straight away, and I don't know if it gets deleted right away or not. But anyway, that's what really happened.

[This message has been edited by The Ghost of Silverswift (edited 04-05-2000).]

JA
unregistered

posted 04-05-2000 11:55 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No problem about the demo - I believe you. I'm just dying to get a look at CH in action!

What DDR drivers are you using? 5.08 is very problematic, 5.13 is more stable but with anomalies. 3.77 works like clockwork for me.

I hope you enjoy TA - there is much fun to be had with it.

The Ghost of Silverswift
Member # 50

posted 04-05-2000 11:37 PM     Profile for The Ghost of Silverswift   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have Cl's 3.77. Jury's still out about TA. I think I'll keep it all the same, though. Great personal mangement that you can't find anywhere, save maybe MiG Alley.

The fact that I could'nt find the receipt to return it today had nothing to do with it.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.