my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » comments on commanche-hokum

Author Topic: comments on commanche-hokum
neilg
unregistered

posted 04-03-2000 07:19 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi,

Just thought I`d give you some of my impressions after getting the sim friday night.

PLayed it a great deal on saturday and I`m enjoying it, the campaign interface is lovely, after a bit of freeflight to get used to the FM i tried a bit of skirmish and then moved onto campaign. Now I`ve only played campaign a little while and it seems ok except that missions do not seem to be generated fast enough or in enough variety, also I`ve seen next to 0 air activity from enemy helos or enemy aircraft (this was playing as commanche) I`ve seen planes flying around in the campaign map but none have come near me in the game.
Enemy ground forces seem a little sparse and when there are some they are in a clump statiuonary, they do fight back with what they can but a little movement would throw a little bit of action into the mix with regard to tactics and use of terrain.

Another thing niggling me is that you cannot alter sound levels of voices sound effects etc in the options. Personally I find that the co-pilot voices etc are too loud, but I can`t turn them down.

The graphics are good, the missile trails are beautiful, but the landscape is a bit too sparse down low, there needs to be a lot more trees dotted around on the ground. I have a geforce card and while it runs preety good with not too much stuttering i have seen the problem with the power pylons not showing up till you are right on top of them.
I`m not sure if this is a driver p[roblem as to more of a level-of-detail object problem, might need a patch tweak to fix that one.
I did see a problem form time to time with the moutains in that some portions seemd to be clipped out, although I may have to tinker with the driver settings, could be fog table emulation is switched on and is messing it up.
Also at one point I was viewing a commanche in flight and there seemed to be another model coincident with it whci was completely black and was all spikey, this was seen back at the gunship choose menu. I saved and restarted the game and all was fine, haven`t seen it again yet.

It may seem that I`m bitching about the game But these are just things I`ve seen and noted. It`s got a few rough edges (which sim hasn`t these day)but overall I`m enjoying it very much, I think I`m going to get into the hokum now though since the commanche just seems a bit too futuristic to me.

PLenty of mileage to play through yet and it looks like it will take a long time to get bored of it.

A couple of gripes but good is my conclusion.

thanks

Neilg

IP: Logged
goon
Member # 457

posted 04-03-2000 08:04 AM     Profile for goon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[/b] [/quote]
It may seem that I`m bitching about the game But these are just things I`ve seen and noted. It`s got a few rough edges (which sim hasn`t these day)
PLenty of mileage to play through yet and it looks like it will take a long time to get bored of it.

A couple of gripes but good is my conclusion.

thanks

Neilg[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree. Even with the SLIGHT gripes, it is still the best sim to come out in a number of years, and extremely enjoyable STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.
Goon

------------------
I'm the famous Eccles!

[This message has been edited by goon (edited 04-03-2000).]

Posts: 124 | From: Stafford, England | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bobo32
Member # 1366

posted 04-03-2000 08:31 AM     Profile for Bobo32   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting to see the comments!

I just picked it up from EB - cant wait to get home and give the Comanche a go!

This might sound dumb, but one thing I loved about AH was the graphics - although the weather and lighting effects are stunning, it LOOKS like I imagine a military sim looking - it almost doesnt try to be real....!

It sure is gonna be nice to have decent wingmen :-)

Has anyone used Game Commander with it yet ?

Posts: 155 | From: Southampton, Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 04-03-2000 08:45 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Another thing niggling me is that you cannot alter sound levels of voices sound effects etc in the options"

I can say so much as that this will be taken care of, Razorworks is aware of the annoyance.

As for the graphics issues you're reporting, it sounds like a driver issue to me, so a newer (or older) one might cure this.

Blaze

goon
Member # 457

posted 04-03-2000 09:42 AM     Profile for goon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bobo32,
It doesn't sound dumb, AH and CH have some of the best terrain around (esp. tailored for low level flight). Because it doesn't make you go 'ooh' or 'wow' it gets overlooked, which is how it should be I think. You just accept it as 'real'.
I haven't got around to trying Game Commander yet, but I think that there is a template for wingman commands supplied on the CD.
The whole package, i.e. patches for AH, CH strategy guide, joystick and game commander files and the sim 'doing exactly what it says on the box', my money spent on AH not being 'dead' has seriously impressed me. Razorworks deserve to go a very long way indeed.

Cheers,
Goon

PS Oh yeah, the Hokum is MUCH more fun than the Comanche

------------------
I'm the famous Eccles!

Posts: 124 | From: Stafford, England | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 04-03-2000 09:51 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
While I too prefer the Hokum, the Comanche in full stealth is a nice toy as well.
Unfortunately the "request target list" works only in multiplay, but there it makes for a great scout.

Blaze

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.