my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Ka-52 TA Instability Question

Author Topic: Ka-52 TA Instability Question
amahood
Member # 4017

posted 04-02-2000 05:32 PM     Profile for amahood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm curious to know exactly how many other people are having persistent fatal errors and CTD's with Ka-52 Team Alligator?

I can't play the game for more than five or ten minutes without incurring a hard screen lockup (necessitating a full reboot) or a crash-to-desktop error. I have a (normally) very stable P-II 300 (Intel) system with 128MB RAM, Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 soundcard and a Voodoo 3 3000 that has never given me any problems with other sims. I have the latest video drivers from 3Dfx loaded (although I've also tried running 3 older drivers to try and cure the problem) yet the crashes persist. I can bring them up at will by hitting the F2 key for an outside view (this will freeze the screen with sound looping in the backbround almost every time) and even if I stay away from any outside view I will eventually get booted back to the desktop (to the launcher screen actually) inside of 10 minutes. After about 6 hours of play I have managed to complete three training missions and exactly zero campaign missions. The rest of my time has been spent rebooting or uninstalling and reinstalling the game (everything from a minimum to full install).

I have checked out many of the posts on this site and get the impression that others are having similar problems but I was hoping to find out if it's an epidemic or simply a localized thing for Voodoo owners.

Thanks

Posts: 2 | From: New Westminster, BC, Canada | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eric W.
unregistered

posted 04-02-2000 06:39 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hope someone can help you out. It is a good game.

I have had it 2 weeks now and not a single problem. I did notice some strange things visually going on in multiplayer deathmatch, but not ctd or lockups.

I have a celeron 300, TNT2 32mb, 192mb ram, vortex 2 soundcard.

IP: Logged
ericahls
Member # 3980

posted 04-02-2000 09:07 PM     Profile for ericahls   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a voodoo card and have Gunship! not Ka-52 TA but had the same problem with the game locking up on me after 15min. My problem was that my card was overclocked to 166mhz. When I dropped the overclock to 156 or so the problem was gone. I am not sure if your card is overlocked but if it is that might be the problem.
Posts: 62 | From: maryland | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
K6_Scorp
Member # 4025

posted 04-02-2000 09:15 PM     Profile for K6_Scorp   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have TA and it seems to lock up when I make the switch from cockpit to external view...sometimes. Other than that...certain things don't work from time to time, like the gear won't go up or something to that effect. I do believe that I'm going to return this game.
Posts: 195 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
JA
unregistered

posted 04-02-2000 09:27 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If any of you are using Nvidia chipset cards, avoid the 5.08 drivers like the plague - numerous CTDs and anomalies. 3.77 and 5.13 (to a lesser extent) seem to work fine for me. Good luck!
IP: Logged
Utelager
Member # 2547

posted 04-03-2000 02:00 PM     Profile for Utelager   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have TA and enjoying it. i think its just people with vodoo cards that are having problems witht the crashes.

i have Amd k6-2 350, savage4, soundblaster live value & 96 ram.

i am playing it on 1024 x 768 and getting decent framerates with.

only thing im complaining about is with the force feedback effect..i could barely feel it with my Wingman Force, i dont know why.

Posts: 11 | From: a blue planet called earth | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aldo
Member # 2259

posted 04-03-2000 02:38 PM     Profile for Aldo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It may sound silly...

but reduce your sound card acceleration to standard via the windows control panel..multimedia settings...

I was having similar lockups...and pilot/wo/wingman voice echoing..until I made that change..

I have a V3500TVAGP with latest drivers and a Quazilla Soundcard w latest drivers.

Hope this helps..give it a try at least.

Regards..Aldo

amahood
Member # 4017

posted 04-04-2000 02:36 AM     Profile for amahood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Aldo. Your suggestion has cut down my lockups by over 90%. I still get the occasional CTD but the sim is now stable enough to run a full campaign (which sadly only took about 5 or 6 missions to complete)
Posts: 2 | From: New Westminster, BC, Canada | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.