my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Generalized helo advice sought...

Author Topic: Generalized helo advice sought...
JA
unregistered

posted 04-01-2000 11:38 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This question is directed specifically to Flexman, Zero G, Bob Roberts, Blaze, Scout, and other well-known helo (real and simulated) experts on this forum, but also generally to anyone who may have insights into this topic.

TA has rekindled my interest in helicopter flight. My problem is that I am of course not a real pilot, and my simming experience has been largely in fixed-wing aircraft of various eras. I understand the raw basics of helicopter flight, and am able to passably operate a simulated helicopter. In other words, I know that the increasing collective adds lift and decreasing it reduces lift, and so on. It is the more subtle nuances I am interested in - use of collective in unusual situations, co-ordinated turns, smooth flaring stops, altering speed without drastically changing altitude and vice versa, and so forth.

Could anyone perhaps give some generalized tips about this sort of thing or direct me to a site that discusses this?

I understand that there will be different answers based on the characteristics of both real and simulated aircraft - I realize that a real Bell 47 will behave differently from a simulated Hind-D, for example. However, I imagine that there must be at least some commonality among all rotary-winged aircraft, in the same sense that a Spitfire and a MiG-29 share a certain degree of similarity, generally speaking, even if the specific performance envelopes are vastly different.

Perhaps this is an ignorant question, and if so, I apologize for wasting your time, but if anyone has some tips or recommendations on training materials for me, I would be very grateful. In any case, thanks for reading thus far!

JA

IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 04-02-2000 01:05 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for including me in the list.

Dunno what to say really, it's a matter of practice, practice, practice.

When ever you want to change your flight state you have to work both the cyclic and the collective plus the pedals.
Like you said the collective influences the lift, but so does the cyclic by tilting the rotor disc. Or pedal turns, they too increase or lower the lift, depending on which direction your main rotor spins.

Maybe the real life pilots can come up with some unique tricks from their advisors?

Blaze

Leaky
Member # 3982

posted 04-02-2000 01:39 AM     Profile for Leaky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You may want to check out http://arundel.net/xplane/html/lessons.html

Some of it is geared specifically for the X-Plane sim but most of it is general info.

L

Scout
Member # 657

posted 04-02-2000 06:24 AM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/1425/index.html

VERY nice site, that explains basic and more advanced principles of rotory flight rather well IMHO.

P.S Check out the snippets on the buttom of the page - very funny.

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
JA
unregistered

posted 04-02-2000 12:45 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks, guys. Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I appreciate the help. Now, to do some reading...

JA

IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.