my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » My Initial thoughts on Comanche Havoc

Author Topic: My Initial thoughts on Comanche Havoc
Charnier
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 06:59 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll make this short, After initially being impressed with this sim I am now starting to find it a little wimpy. My biggest pet peeve so far is the draw distance. While it was bad in A/H it has graduated to ridiculous in C/H. Textures are not drawn until you are practically on top of buildings. I know not everyone has a crazy system but can we at least have options?? The FM is good (Better than GS or KA52) It is definitely in the same class as LB2. The feeling of speed during NOE flying is NON-Existent. It feels like you are in a Golf cart. This is a good game but for sheer fun I still like Gunship. The terrain is bland and boring in C/H and totally ruined by the draw distance. Weather effects are good and the sound is good albeit a bit quiet. Nothing like roaring through the hills of Tajikistan in Ka-52 Alligator(SIMIS). You can hear the rotor noise echoing of the mountains in that game. Weapons are nicely modelled in CH and the cockpits ae well done as is the co-pilot. The votes not in yet but flying over Eastern Europe in a Tiger (Gunship) is outweighing CH. Gunship may not be the most hardcore sim and it does have its problems but I must say (And I am a Hardcore Simmer for the most part) that I find Comanche Hokum disappointing. Hopefully time will mend this.

JM2C

Chazza

IP: Logged
Charnier
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 07:01 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry about Comanche Havoc .... I meant Comanche Hokum ....

hehehe

Chazza

arrow
Member # 321

posted 03-31-2000 07:38 AM     Profile for arrow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
About the graphic problem: go to www.razorworks.com , read the strategy guide and enjoy adding command lines to the exe, so to increase the drawing distance of buildings in order to resolve your problem.

Alternatively, go to www.simhq.com , under "helo section" you'll find a nice utility by Flexman that let you personalize those things aas many other.

Outlaw
Member # 1733

posted 03-31-2000 08:32 AM     Profile for Outlaw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"The votes not in yet but flying over Eastern Europe in a Tiger (Gunship) is outweighing CH. Gunship may not be the most hardcore sim and it does have its problems but I must say (And I am a Hardcore Simmer for the most part) that I find Comanche Hokum disappointing"

I find this statement quite unbeleivable. Even Apache Havoc, Longbow2, and Team Apache are better sims than Gunship! No matter which way you cut it, Gunship! is a playstation game IMO, and it cannot be compared to *any* "sim" on the market.

Sorry, but I just don't agree with your statments on CH considering AH is a better product than Gunship!.

I respect your opinion, but I holeheartly disagree with it, based on Razorworks *last* product.

-Outlaw

Posts: 212 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charlie
Member # 2314

posted 03-31-2000 09:27 AM     Profile for Charlie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was thinking about getting this one next week but I have a problem.....I just didn't enjoy A/H that much. So I just tell you what I didn't like... at least what I can remember and then maybe someone could tell me not to worry cause they fixed all this.

1. I hated the constricted view options, I felt like I was flying a tank.... you know looking through the vision slit. I saw that C/H has a 3d only cockpit so there should be good padlocking and some other fancy stuff..right?

2. I hated the way groundforces clumped together .... gave the term hedgehog defense a whole new meaning. Let's point our guns to every direction boys, then they can't sneak up on us.

3. Some of the ground graphics were weird, to say the least.

4. I hated the radio communication Of all the suckiest things that ever sucked they were the suckiest!

5. Compared to LB2 it didn't really feel like flying a chopper. This is the deep end I know... please don't make me explain it would take pages.. Got something to do with nr 1. I think

6. Cartoonish weapon effects. Not as bad as Team Apache though.

I have read every preview and interview about this game so you don't have to tell me about the moving crew and such, I would just like to know how it REALLY is...as opposed to how it is supposed to be.

Posts: 82 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
goon
Member # 457

posted 03-31-2000 10:13 AM     Profile for goon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Charlie,
I can tell you a few of your gripes are fixed.
1. Views on the new helos are better. If the canopy framework gets in the way you can make it transparent.
2. Don't know about ground vehicle clumping together, I'm still on 'freeflight' so not so much chance to look around.
3. Not sure what you thought was weird, so I can't tell you whether it was fixed or not.
4. The radio chatter is now very much better. The speech files are produced in such a way as to sound as if they are all coming over a real radio. Very impressive.
5. I liked the flight models in AH and also in CH. Does what I expect a helicopter would, does nothing stupid or unrealistic. What more do you want?
6. Weapons effects are excellent.

Overall, the whole thing is a vast improvement. I think better than LB2, your mileage may vary.
From what I HAVE seen of the campaign it looks incredibly deep and the front end to it is simply amazing.
Goon

------------------
I'm the famous Eccles!

[This message has been edited by goon (edited 03-31-2000).]

Posts: 124 | From: Stafford, England | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Charlie
Member # 2314

posted 03-31-2000 12:48 PM     Profile for Charlie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot goon. I feel more confident now and I think I will get C/H as soon as possible. The weirdness in the terrain I was referring to were the Van Gogh style fields that appeared in some areas. Glad to hear about the radio comms .... real glad actually

I will buy C/H instead of Gunship and that will show those arcade sim developers...

Posts: 82 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 03-31-2000 01:10 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just tried the A/H demo again. It just doesn`t draw "attract" me for some reason. Go figure.
Gill
Member # 3230

posted 03-31-2000 01:12 PM     Profile for Gill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dying of Helo-thirst in Canada.
I have a full retail copy of both, Janes F/A-18 and F-4(binder edtion)in perfect condition. I want to trade these for a retail version of Comanche/Hokum.
I will pay the shipping both ways.
let me know if this interests you.
[email protected]

------------------

Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 03-31-2000 01:52 PM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gill-

Try ordering from www.enemyengaged.com or from www.hmv.co.uk that way you can keep the other sims =).

/Nolan

Posts: 307 | From: Lund, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gill
Member # 3230

posted 03-31-2000 02:08 PM     Profile for Gill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
dont want to keep the sims....
Laphter
Member # 2013

posted 03-31-2000 02:16 PM     Profile for Laphter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Gill,

I've read your posts before about not using/having a credit card. Have you tried COD? May cost a little more but at least you'll get what you want and keep the other Sims, Did I mention "have you cake and eat it"

Posts: 208 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Eric W
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 03:14 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shataan,

I tried the demo of A-H also when it first came out and promptly removed it from my hard drive.

About 2 weeks ago, I read some reviews of
A-H and bought the last copy at my local CompUSA. I bought TA the same day too. I like both. Well, A-H gets played first and for hours on end. It really sucks me in. For the price you can buy it at these days I suggest purchasing it.

Eric

Charnier
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 03:40 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Outlaw:

Trust me mate this game is going to annoy you. Even after applying the Draw distance "Hack" the draw distance is still naff. Pylons and some smaller buildings still only show up when you are 2 feet from them. I understand this being done to keep the speed up but it really ruins the effect of flight. Armor STILL bunches up. This is highly unrealistic. Yet again I refer to Gunship where you see Armor moving around realistically. BTW I said Gunship was more FUN than C/H and not necessarily more realistic. But I am seeing things in C/H that SERIOUSLY annoy me and indicate another Half-A55ed product from Razorworks that will require at least a few patches. It has "We had to get it out at the same time as the other 2 Helo sims" written all over it. The use of command lines for things like draw distance is ridiculous on top of the fact that putting the Draw distance over 1500 seems to make it worse rather than better. Electricity Pylons appearing only when you are LITERALLY 2 feet from them etc etc. I don't know if you have this game yet or not but it has problems. It is good ... and I am enjoying it now that I have given it a little time but the Flight Experience is getting ruined by the afore mentioned problems.

Chazza

Nelly
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 03:51 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you using a voodoo card? I remember with A-H I had the problem with pylons appearing just before I hit them. Apparently it was due to voodoo drivers not supporting all features of D3D. I upgraded to TNT2 and that had no problems.
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 03-31-2000 04:03 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And have you seen the colours on the CD?

What were they thinking? Totally ruins the immersion factor for me. Now I can only use one side as a shaving mirror. At least they got the registration card right. :-)

If you're seeing things "pop-up" in front of you then your drivers need replacing. Z buffering or 3D line drawing at fault there.

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Outlaw
Member # 1733

posted 03-31-2000 04:08 PM     Profile for Outlaw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Chazza:

Thanks for the reply, and again thanks for your thoughts on CH. I guess I just don't see how I'm going to be dissapointed in CH when I found AH so enjoyable. Oh well, I guess one person's poision is anothers Champagne.

Also, don't get me wrong on my thoughts about Gunship. I fully realize that it is a "fun" sim and not realistic. Unfortunately, there are just to many holes in the Gunship product for me to enjoy. I also am a little perturbed at the design crew for not listening to us. This became pretty apparent to me when I read on csim's Gunship preview that the design team was adament about how the sim would be. This in my opinion showed arrogance, disrespect, and an overall blindness to our hobby and community. From what I've gathered about CH, it seems Razorworks *has* listened.

Sorry, but both Microprose, and Gunship! have left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Again thanks,

Outlaw

[This message has been edited by Outlaw (edited 03-31-2000).]

Posts: 212 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
HG
Member # 3385

posted 03-31-2000 04:19 PM     Profile for HG   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Charnier,
I understand your fustration, but C&H is really a pocessor and memery hungry sim, even on my pIII700 with 256mb and a tnt2ultra
I have got lots of stuters when I get close to the city. I would rather have these popups
to keep a playable fps, for me nothing can ruin a sim more than a bad fps.
I have been playing C&H for few hours now, I love it, this game has so much to offer, I were you, I would dive deep into its fatastic
campaign and forget about GS.
I am Chinese and my girlfriend is Taiwanese,
I just can't decide which side I should play for in War of Independence. ^0^

Posts: 19 | From: LONDON UK | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
TopHat 185th
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 04:29 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You must have something wrong with your card or settings surely. I've only got an old V2 SLI setup on a Celeron 450 but the draw distance is miles away! even on 1024x768. I might agree that the ground objects are a bit sparse but that which is there is superb. The animation of ground vehicles is second to none. Tank tracks move, radar heads scan,really to my mind far better than LB2 in that dept. The animation keyed with control inputs of the crew are really neat and those new views of the crews excellent.
I'm mightly impressed with this so far.
Surprised they didn't include a Thrustmaster
script for the Joystick thou'

Silent Bob
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 04:56 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm, as much as it pains me to say this, so far i'm unpleasantly disapointed with this one myself. Apache/havoc runs smooth as silk on my sytem at any resolution, but this game is a total pig. It stutters constantly to the point where i'm ready to just uninstall it and power line towers aren't visible till i run into them. And this is on a Geforce card as well. Perhaps the power lines and excessive popin might be a driver issue but i'd guess the stuttering isn't as it seems to be due to hard drive swapping.
Charnier
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 04:59 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice Sarcasm Richard

If it is my machine, which I find it hard to believe it is then how can I fix this.

PIII 800 CuMine
ASUS P3V4X
256 133 Mhz SDRAM
SB LIVE
CL Annihalator Pro DDR (3.77 Nvidia Ref)
2 18 Gig Cheetahs (U2W) SCSI

Etc

I dont understand how the drivers are the problem .... other people are complaining about this as well .... perhaps you could enlighten us!!

Chazza

Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 03-31-2000 05:14 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Drivers clearly.

Any visual artifacts of this nature (particually anything involving wire structures) are down to driver capabilities (or lack of).

It's happened before, 3Dfx fixed theirs in the next update and the problem went away.

There are drivers on the CD partly for this very reason.

At a distance, a wire or thin structure is a single 3D line, some drivers neglect this 3D polyline capability. When these structures come close, they get bigger and turn from lines (which are not supported by the non fully compliant drivers) into thin polys which are supported by the drivers. The result? Things appearing in-yer-face.

It's drivers I'm telling you. Trust me. I've done this before :-)

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Charnier
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 05:37 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help Richard

Much appreciated.

Charnier.

loadtoad
Member # 2306

posted 03-31-2000 05:43 PM     Profile for loadtoad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Silent bob it seems like you need to either optimize your system better or get a better one. I dont have C/H but with a dynamic campaign it will be no different than f4 it is a pig so boost up your system and you will be ok.

John

Charnier
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 06:06 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Six Different drivers including the 2 on the CD and still stuff is "Popping up". I am sick to death of Nvidia. There are easily 15 driver revisions now around the web and some work with some games and some with others. I will not be buying another Nvidia card and while I think that Nvidia is a better product with superior visual Quality I am sick to death of not being able to play games to their potential because of the seemingly endless stream of Beta drivers that are mysteriously "leaked" from Nvidia.

For Reference these are the drivers that I tried.

1. 3.53
2. 3.68
3. 3.69
4. 3.77
5. 5.08
6. 5.13

None of these worked.

Any Help appreciated.

Chazza

Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 03-31-2000 07:34 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know what you mean about drivers :-(

I got a Maxtrox card, which on the whole does fine but there's usually something that doesn't like the "driver on the month".

I can't play Jane's F/18 at all because of it :-(

Sorry to be OT, just trying to sympathise.

Silent Bob
unregistered

posted 03-31-2000 08:22 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My system is quite ok at the moment, i should think a PIII 600 and a geforce would be just fine. I'm a computer technician by trade and i know about optimizing systems. Falcon 4 runs at 45-50fps standard in the campaign so i'd expect something a little better from this one.
goon
Member # 457

posted 04-03-2000 03:10 AM     Profile for goon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Silent Bob,
If you're getting that kind of performance out of Falcon 4, then you should be getting even better out of CH. It bats along on my K6II-450, 128Mb, Voodoo3. Everything maxed.
F4 can just about stay in the teens on about 2/3 detail. Over the FLOT it's terrible.
No help with your problem, but as I said, CH rocks on my machine.
'Just my tuppence worth'
Goon.

------------------
I'm the famous Eccles!

Posts: 124 | From: Stafford, England | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
SimFan
unregistered

posted 04-03-2000 04:58 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Indeed, most probably driver issues.
All I can add to this is...
Tested C-H on 2 systems:
1. Celeron 400 / 256MB RAM / CL TNT2U (o'c)
1024x864 : smooth ! / 1600 X 1200 but stutter
2. Dell PIII-500 / 128 MB RAM / CL V2
Smooth as silk at 800X600.
No visual artifacts / no (unusual) pop-ups
Did no (yet) buy Geforce because of driver issues.
For me C-H is the best SIM since F4.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.