my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » T/L for T/A?

Author Topic: T/L for T/A?
skip
Member # 1470

posted 03-26-2000 06:45 PM     Profile for skip   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know for sure if T/L in hardware is supported in TEAM ALLIGATOR?
Posts: 260 | From: ,Texas,usa | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 03-26-2000 07:03 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I went to look for an answer to this question when it was asked last time but I have not found it. I am pretty sure the answer is no, It is supposed to do bump mapping on the G-400 but I have seen people having problems with that as well.

------------------
Z

Posts: 374 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
skip
Member # 1470

posted 03-26-2000 07:24 PM     Profile for skip   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ZERO G:

I read somewhere in an interview I think that it does, no matter it runs great on my old box with all the details on at hi rez too?till the memory leaks rears its ugly head. just wanted to say thanx for the flight model work its great,much appreciated

skip

Swampthing
Member # 388

posted 03-26-2000 08:11 PM     Profile for Swampthing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd have to agree with zerog on the T/L issue. It just doesn't have any noticeable framerate or feel difference between a TNT2 and a geforce. If it does support T/L then they did a very bad job of making it evident.
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 03-27-2000 05:26 AM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I knew I should have kept my mouth shut until I had found the answer. Yes T&L and Bump Mapping were programed into TA.

sorry for the early mis-information.

------------------
Z

TexT
unregistered

posted 03-27-2000 11:25 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what do we have to do to enable them???
IP: Logged
skip
Member # 1470

posted 03-27-2000 11:52 AM     Profile for skip   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NP,ZERO G, I thought it ran awfully smooth at hi resolution with all the details turned on with my p2 350.TEXT: you shouldnt have to do anything for T/L support if you gotta a geforce as for bumping you gotta have a matrox g400 for that

[This message has been edited by skip (edited 03-27-2000).]

Swampthing
Member # 388

posted 03-27-2000 12:15 PM     Profile for Swampthing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You gotta be kidding me? It doesn't run ANYWHERE near what i'd expect from a game that utilizes T/L. In fact whenever a new object explodes there's a stutter, or the first time to fire a rocket, there's a stutter.
Zed
Member # 64

posted 03-27-2000 12:18 PM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was told that it was intended, but not included due to time constraints...the only reason EMB was included was cos they already told Matrox that they would so they had to.

Z

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Scout
Member # 657

posted 03-28-2000 02:06 AM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CH has T&L support, and I've heard it does run a little bit faster on GeForce. Too bad CH doesn't have a FR counter so that we could check out the increase %.

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 03-28-2000 03:03 AM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Boy have I got a deal for you. My beta copies all have a debug key that shows all sorts of info, part of that is a frame rate counter. So you send me a DDR Ge-Force and I will tell you how much it helps. OK?

------------------
Z

Scout
Member # 657

posted 03-28-2000 06:24 AM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hhehehe ZeroG, I'm afraid they will pull this debug key from release version, so on the second thought, no use sending you that spare DDR card that collects dust here

Seriously, I will wait for GeForce 2 to be out and then I will buy that DDR GeForce card, hope it will make some difference about framerates, even though I heard that C-H is not a monster as far as framerate goes. If your rig can deal with AH, it will run CH just as nicely, or so I've heard. Is this correct?

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shadowcat
unregistered

posted 03-28-2000 07:41 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmm... I certainly saw an interview that said they would have Geforce T&L support, but I believe I also saw a later interview (regarding the demo, I think) saying it hadn't made it in.

I would be awfully suprised if they successfully implemented it for the release version, and didn't mention it in the readme file somewhere.

Swampthing:
> You gotta be kidding me? It doesn't run ANYWHERE near
> what i'd expect from a game that utilizes T/L. In fact
> whenever a new object explodes there's a stutter,
> or the first time to fire a rocket, there's a stutter.

It sounds like you're describing a delay while some previously unused data is loaded from the hard drive... I'm not sure how you connect those issues to transformation & lighting hardware??

Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 03-28-2000 07:57 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
doh?

[This message has been edited by Shataan (edited 03-28-2000).]

Swampthing
Member # 388

posted 03-28-2000 10:50 AM     Profile for Swampthing   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was making the connection due to the fact that the pause is the game swapping in new textures. With 256mb of RAM and a geforce ddr card, i wouldn't expect those sorts of stutters from a game that supported t/l.
skip
Member # 1470

posted 03-28-2000 03:55 PM     Profile for skip   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SWAMP:

Im pretty sure it does cause im runnin a p2 350 ,192 mb ,geforce sdr, all the details maxed at1024/780/32,I think the stutters are from a memory leak, cant play more than 3 missions without quitting out,the reason I know tis a memory leak is because the load times between missions get longer the longer you play and the more it stutters

[This message has been edited by skip (edited 03-28-2000).]

De Janitor
unregistered

posted 03-28-2000 09:48 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahem!

"Sim Arena : So will Team Alligator be DirectX7 optimized?

Simis : Yes - we're releasing the game under DX7 as we plan to make use of the increased support for graphics such as hardware-accelerated T&L (Transform & Lighting) and Environment Bump Mapping."

Supposed to - the interviews you read is here...

http://www.sim-arena.com/previews/ka52/interview/interview.html

Still haven't seen T&L yet...

Bob

Shadowcat
unregistered

posted 04-03-2000 06:55 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
> > It sounds like you're describing a delay while some
> > previously unused data is loaded from the hard drive...
> > I'm not sure how you connect those issues to
> > transformation & lighting hardware??

Swampthing:
> I was making the connection due to the fact that
> the pause is the game swapping in new textures.
> With 256mb of RAM and a geforce ddr card,
> i wouldn't expect those sorts of stutters from a
> game that supported t/l.

I still don't follow. Transformation & lighting has nothing to do with loading new textures (or any other data.)

Hardware T&L means that more complex scenes can be rendered, or less complex ones rendered faster (as the transformation of all the co-ordinates to the current POV for each frame happens more rapidly), and that the lighting for the frame can also be performed more efficiently. (I'm not actually sure if there's any real connection between these two features, other than that nVidia happened to implement them both in the GeForce256.)

You could argue that if you have sufficient RAM, the game ought to pre-load every texture it might require in order to minimise the kind of delays you're seeing, but that's a different issue entirely.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.