my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Ready for another Helo Sim?

Author Topic: Ready for another Helo Sim?
De Janitor
unregistered

posted 03-18-2000 02:50 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh... Anyone remember SAR 2?

Okay - so it doesn't have guns but it requires real nerves of steel?

Check this out... http://www.sim-arena.com/sar2/screens1/screens1.html

IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 03-18-2000 09:07 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love the terrain. :0)
'
Member # 3472

posted 03-18-2000 10:10 AM     Profile for '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yuk...

------------------
... --- ... --- ... --- ...

Posts: 445 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 03-18-2000 10:24 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lol :0)
De Janitor
unregistered

posted 03-19-2000 10:12 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Once again, I'll reserve comments about the FM but I'm finding this kinda interesting... like rescuing people in the sea and on top of mountains... Precision flying and a steady hand. Quite a bit of fun actually.

Bob

goon
Member # 457

posted 03-20-2000 05:04 AM     Profile for goon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is there any other info for this? A website?
Goon

------------------
I'm the famous Eccles!

Posts: 124 | From: Stafford, England | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 03-20-2000 05:54 AM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Try the studio,
http://www.iavision.com/sar2/

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
goon
Member # 457

posted 03-20-2000 06:17 AM     Profile for goon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Richard!
Goon

------------------
I'm the famous Eccles!

Erwin J
Member # 3444

posted 03-20-2000 06:19 AM     Profile for Erwin J   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looking at the screenshots on the developers site, I'm knda worried.
In every shot, even the ones where a cockpit is visible, you see the chopper in third person. I hope this is not the way the game is going to be designed, is it? I mean, if it is, the studio is heading for a major dud. Up there with Tom Clancy's SSN.

EJ

Posts: 88 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
De Janitor
unregistered

posted 03-20-2000 08:20 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There we go - conjecture again. I could post screens of cockpits though I do like the external views better.

Note : Most of OUR screenshots feature external views as a matter of preference - that's not to say that the cockpit isn't what it should be.

goon
Member # 457

posted 03-20-2000 08:24 AM     Profile for goon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
De Janitor,
I must say I'm intrigued. Could we see a cockpit shot?
Goon

------------------
I'm the famous Eccles!

De Janitor
unregistered

posted 03-20-2000 11:29 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sure thing Goon.

We're planning on another set shortly - in cockpit views and such... coming soon!

Bear in mind we do have loads of other articles to publish this week. I'll get more ASAP!

Bob

PS. I will say that the Rotor Brake and Both Engine LEVERS are animated. Not quite C-H quality in terms of GFX but certainly quite good as far as a sim goes...

Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 03-20-2000 11:37 AM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

PS. I will say that the Rotor Brake and Both Engine LEVERS are animated. Not quite C-H quality in terms of GFX but certainly quite good as far as a sim goes...

I could say something really funny at this point...but I won't

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Erwin J
Member # 3444

posted 03-21-2000 03:55 AM     Profile for Erwin J   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
De Janitor,

Didn't mean to dismiss the product before hand. Just thought I'd ask the question, after seeing those screenshots, Question answered, problem solved .

It would be an interesting sim, given the somewhat unconventional theme of the sim. If the specs for the game are really what they are as stated on the developers site I'd be very interested in giving it a spin.

EJ

Posts: 88 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
bighead111
Member # 3318

posted 03-21-2000 07:01 AM     Profile for bighead111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice looking one! Unfortunately, it is not Combat one. I want to be a virtual solder, but not virtual flying doctor!
Posts: 299 | From: london | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
De Janitor
unregistered

posted 03-21-2000 02:00 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Erwin - nope - I wasn't dissed but all too often, people tend to read "between" the lines and misconstrue facts. : ) You're not at fault but I wanted to stop this well before it got in that direction...

True - it is different. But I have to say - I'm hanging up my AGM114s for this. Some serious skill involved flying this bird and hovering over water - then hoisting people up to safety. Very cool. There are quite a few well modeled features in the FM though it's being tweaked.

BigHead111 - No no - we're not flying doctors. Think of it as flying HEROS. Nothing more nobel than to save lives and work as a team.

LIONPRIDE
Member # 3534

posted 03-21-2000 03:27 PM     Profile for LIONPRIDE   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmmm.....( breaking out my personel manual )....we'll all have to see how true to life this one is....*smile*

------------------
A wise man once said..." To fly is heaven, to hover is divine"

Posts: 331 | From: United States of America | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
De Janitor
unregistered

posted 03-24-2000 08:46 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[urlhttp://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/previews/sar2/sarpreview.shtml[/url]

Check out those screenshots Flex posted!

Bob

Jws
Member # 2044

posted 03-25-2000 06:53 PM     Profile for Jws   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the original SAR...

The graphics, for it's time (1996 or so), aren't bad at all, although they had no 3D acceleration so ran slow on anything below a P200.

The real cool part was the uniqueness of the helicopters, terrain, and missions you got to fly. There was a surprising amount of detail, and you had a choice of any of several helicopters to fly on each mission. One mission had you flying along a busy highway with police snipers (moving cars too, with underpasses) and your assignment was to reach a certain car and stay close to it for 15 seconds so the police could snipe the driver (so there were SOME guns .

The FM's, especially considering back then, were VERY good. A light helicopter like the Jetranger you could fly was nimble, but a unstable in a realistic way (yaw) like a real single rotor helicopter. You could also fly the Chinook and Sea Knight helicopters, these were both big and heavy, but had twin rotors so you didn't experience the same yaw and bounciness in as in the Jetranger. Some missions had a payload, and while you could still fly any helicopter, it was often recommended you use a bigger helicopter to carry the payload, otherwise you might not get off the ground! My favorite to fly was the Chinook, because it was relatively fast, stable, and powerful.

It WAS quite fun, and challenging. Yes, there was a cockpit view, and it did have the right cockpit frames, although all the cockpits had identical instrument layouts.
The challenge was in the flying itself, as often the weather was bad, there was almost always some wind, and sometimes even rain or snow.

The terrain for the time was also detailed, there were moving cars, 3D buildings, and 3D terrain.

There was actual weather! You could see and hear snow and rain. Very cool at the time!

All in all, it was a fun sim and still is today, considering I bought the last copy in an Illinois Best Buy for $25 in 1997.

If SAR2 is anything like SAR1, with similar realism and the same unique missions, I think any diehard chopper lover will have fun with it.

-Jon

Posts: 174 | From: Naples, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
De Janitor
unregistered

posted 03-28-2000 09:40 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SAR 2 : Screenshot Set #2 PLUS Movies @

http://sar2.sim-arena.com/screens2/screens2.html

Also - included some cockpit shots.

Bob

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.