my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » AH hanging up at the beginning

Author Topic: AH hanging up at the beginning
Bulldog
Member # 370

posted 03-16-2000 07:57 AM     Profile for Bulldog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Guys,
I just got AH on discount yesterday. To answer Donald's question in the other thread, I got it for $14.99 from Babbages. I installed AH and ran it to decompress the graphics files. I then exited the game and installed the patch. I then fired up the patch version and started a free flight mission. I jacked up the resolution to 1600x1200 and after a few minutes my machine hanged up. Afte this AH always hangs up Comms section of the initialisation screen. I have un-installed and re-installed AH twice, but the problem still persists. My system specs are:

Intel PII 333MHz
128 MB RAM
Voodoo3 [email protected]
Diamond Monster MX300
Win 98
DirectX 7.0

Do you think DX 7.0 is the culprit? Please helpo me.

Thanks in advance for the replies,
Bulldog out.

Posts: 120 | From: San Jose, CA, US | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Vic
Member # 1132

posted 03-16-2000 10:26 AM     Profile for Vic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Most likely....YES. I too had a problem with AH (the graphics were too dark and night vision didn't work. I asked BLAZE for some help (BTW, thanks for your suggestion Blaze, it worked =) and got the problem solved. Beautiful looking sim.

I also emailed Razorworks. They recommend using Direct x 7.0a
They were having some issues with Direct x 7. Also, you may want to ttry to lower your resolution and see if that helps. Good luck!!

------------------
Trouble's having someone knocking on your six and the only thing left in your bag of tricks is lint.

Posts: 545 | From: Hopatcong NJ | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bulldog
Member # 370

posted 03-16-2000 12:43 PM     Profile for Bulldog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am sorry guys, I made a mistake above. I have DX 7.0a. Vic, how can I change the resolution when I cannot even get into the game?

Bulldog out.

Posts: 120 | From: San Jose, CA, US | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Donald
Member # 1659

posted 03-16-2000 01:34 PM     Profile for Donald   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To answer Donald's question in the other thread, I got it for $14.99 from Babbages. Intel PII 333MHz
128 MB RAM
Voodoo3 [email protected]
Diamond Monster MX300
Win 98
DirectX 7.0

Do you think DX 7.0 is the culprit? Please helpo me.

Bulldog;
first, thanks for the info. Unfortunately the only Babbages nearby (40 mi!) went out of business sometime last year. I ordered it from CompuExpert for just a couple of dollars more, probably covers the "free" shipping. Anyway, I have the same system except for the soundcard (I have TB Montego I)and DX 7.0a and the demo installed and runs just fine. I assume you defragged and also have enough free disk space. Did you try running it without the patch first? just curious.

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 03-16-2000 03:52 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The freeze at "Comms" is indeed a DirectPlay problem, but it should be cured by restarting Windows.

If you want to reset the resolution you can either delete the game.cfg file in your \aphavoc folder or add the commandline switch /3dreset to the ApacheHavoc shortcut.

Vic, good to hear, so the older drivers did the trick?

Blaze

Vic
Member # 1132

posted 03-16-2000 09:20 PM     Profile for Vic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I tried to download mor eup-to-date ones, but they required Direct X7 ( aint touchin' that one for a while-wait till they get ALL the bugs out =)

------------------
Trouble's having someone knocking on your six and the only thing left in your bag of tricks is lint.

Posts: 545 | From: Hopatcong NJ | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.