my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » looking to buy a Helo sim

Author Topic: looking to buy a Helo sim
Dice-man
Member # 378

posted 02-28-2000 10:53 AM     Profile for Dice-man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello “rotor heads”. I’m thanking about going from my beloved Jet sims to a Helo sim (for once) and would like some advice about which one would be right for me. My system is a little old and slow. Here are my specs. PII 350MZ, 8MB AGP Matrox Mystic G-200 Video card (please, I know I need to upgrade but can’t right now) with 96MB SDRAM. Which current helo sim would work best for me? This would be my FIRST helo sim so I am a “newbee” but, I’ve been flying Jet sims for a while. Also how much of a change over would it be?
Posts: 140 | From: Hill AFB Ut | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 02-28-2000 11:05 AM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Can't go wrong with Longbow Anthology from Janes - very detailed and very immersive - a true benchmark simulation of any kind of weapon system.

Apache Havoc is not as detailed in avionics
but has a good flight model and the graphics aren't bad. Weather (wind) effects are quite good.

One you could get real cheap is HIND (DOS) or
same game 3D enhanced in FRONTLINE FIGHTERS pack. HIND has a great flight model, you can pick up men. Avionics are simple but ooooh the FM. Dare I say better then Longbow -
it is challenging.

But if you have to get only one get the Janes
Longbow Anthology. Your system can handle it, it has 3DFX and only minor patches. And I understand multiplayer is stable. oh yeah in Longbow you get to fly the Blackhawk and Kiowa.

Yeah get the Longbow Anthology - best bang for the buck.

[This message has been edited by SPOT (edited 02-28-2000).]

Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 02-28-2000 11:22 AM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, what he said :-)

Ditto what Spot says.

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
gabbys
Member # 2607

posted 02-28-2000 11:35 AM     Profile for gabbys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dice-man,

Are you looking for military helo's or civi helo's.

If it is a military sim then go with SPOT's suggestion.

If you are looking for the best Helo Flight Model then buy X-Plane.

http://www.x-plane.com/

Posts: 193 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dice-man
Member # 378

posted 02-28-2000 12:43 PM     Profile for Dice-man   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply Spot. One more quick question, how is a helos altitude controlled if you don’t have a “collective”? Is it through the throttle?
Posts: 140 | From: Hill AFB Ut | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 02-28-2000 02:28 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I have just about every 'hardcore' sim
out there -but my contols are on the LITE side - a cutting edge Microsoft Precision Pro
The collective is controled in the throttle
- turn the little disc Yugo up - turn it Yugo down. Having been a passenger in one those contraptions (UH-1) it isn't like that in real life. I believe someone is perfecting or has made and is selling a collective for helo sims - but I don't know where I saw this.
Richard "Flexman" Hawley visits here or you can reach him at
http://www.simhq.com/

can probably suggest a better setup then I can. In the current helo section at that site
you can read about how a some guy ( a soccer fan?) who plays with helo sims on his computer in England tried to steal a police helicopter.
The guy evidently got the rotors going.
Just goes to show what devilment a drunk 'hardcore' type will get into if you let him into a helicopter cockpit and he gets his hand on the disc.

[This message has been edited by SPOT (edited 02-28-2000).]

Zero G
Member # 311

posted 02-28-2000 02:51 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dice-Man: One bad word when talking about LB2 and your system. It is going to look very bad after you D/L the D3D patch. After running it on a non-3DFX card I uninstalled it right away. It is made to support them alone and the D3D patch was only half finished when Janes thought it was a good idea to drop it.

You will have to turn off smoke effects etc for it to work and you will still be left with graphical problems.

A friendly message from a guy with burning convictions

Z

Posts: 374 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Dr. Claw
Member # 2576

posted 02-28-2000 04:24 PM     Profile for Dr. Claw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dice-man,

If all you got is the Matrox ( meaning no Glide support obviously ), you'll probably have some graphics problems if you use anything above DirectX5 ( such as crazy lines eminating from the hellfire missiles when you fire them ) when you play LB2
( The patched version of Longbow2 is included in Longbow Anthology; you really only need LB2 since it supercedes the original Longbow and the Anthology includes both ). I had problems when I installed DX6 and the so-called patch doesn't fully work - at least it didn't for me.
If you really want LB2, you might want to pick up a relatively cheap Voodoo3 2000 or wait till C-H comes out ( Commanche-Hokum ).

[This message has been edited by Dr. Claw (edited 02-28-2000).]

INSPECTOR
Member # 291

posted 02-28-2000 07:16 PM     Profile for INSPECTOR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
or a cheap voodoo2 to plug into your matrox agp card would work well for lba maybe...

z, stay away from my cd's ..... :-}

Posts: 109 | From: omaha, ne | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 02-28-2000 07:32 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"If you really want LB2, you might want to pick up a relatively cheap Voodoo3 2000 or wait till C-H comes out"

If he really wants LB2 then C-H won't help him much.
SCNR

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.