my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » All I can say is

Author Topic: All I can say is
Two-Six
Member # 3280

posted 02-20-2000 06:32 PM     Profile for Two-Six   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have just read all the postings and really, I just hope that Gunship isn't going to be crap due to corparate pressure.

The developers shouldn't try to bash out anything too soon.

I realise that the market for "a hardcore" helo sim is small, compared to the "easy to grasp" pap that we see in most sims now, but really, the "general public" is stupid enough. Perhaps a bit of brain exercise would do "the general public" some good.

I despair at the current sim releases today, they are so "Half-Assed" that I just wait for the bad reports to come flooding in about them. Bad frame rates, bugs, poor FM....I just am gratefull that I haven't bought it for the full price.

Crap, lazy coding, is to blame because the developers rely on more and more powerfull hardware to "cut the mustard". This sucks, code it right, and with todays average hardware, you have a great looking sim. "Being in a hurry" is killing ALL new releases. Really...

Second hand shops are a great measuring stick for the crappieness of a game, because I allwayse finds the "new" releases in these shops 6 weeks after they come out, because they are so bad: Flight sim 2000, mig alley, apache havoc, team appache etc etc..

Quake 3, has been in development for 3 or 4 years now, and there was no hint of a premature release, the same with Unreal Tournament. They are the best games I have played so far, because they really work well, even if they are just about all out carnage. It's great!

Ok they aren't combat simms, but you guys at Hasbro/Microprosem, or whoever you are should take note. DON'T release a half baked game. If you are going to do it, do it right. FFS!

All I want is a game that lives up to my expectations, and not a piece of plop that I wish I hadn't bought.

Posts: 89 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
goanna1
Member # 3052

posted 02-20-2000 07:31 PM     Profile for goanna1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I for one don't like to see simms released with a shed load of bugs, BUT, I'm smart enough not to expect a perfect, military grade simm for $50.00. Lets see ID or whoever is the current "first person shooter" develpment champion, produce a quality combat flight simm.
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 02-20-2000 08:04 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lets be serious for one moment. Q3 was not worked on for years nor was it released without shitloads of bugs. There were dozens of bugs in the first release that had to be delt with in a major patch that ID has become so used to releasing they even made a name for them. The point release, that in my mind is the biggest pile of crap in the game making world. They knew of all these bugs well before going gold and had even startd on the patch before game release.

I will feel really bad when I see sim makers going this far. The only one to come close was Falcon 4.0 and it is regarded as the best sim ever by many.

Z

Posts: 374 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Two-Six
Member # 3280

posted 02-21-2000 01:18 PM     Profile for Two-Six   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well OK ID have released a lot of patches, but only one for Quake 3 so far, and already I haven't noticed any bugs. Yes granted the development of a FPS is very different to that of a combat sim. But I am just trying to make a point, the industry still seem to release some really bad, unfinished games and seem to have no qualms about it. The patches for the Quake 2 were mainly performance enhancements, not really fixes.

I have been reading about KA 52 Hokum, and it seems that a potentially ace game is really bad because of bad programming, and has some awfull problems.

FA 18 is supposed to be terrible frame-rate wise, and USAF is just rubbish in general. So I remaim dismayed at the state of game releases in general. If you are a developer of Gunship, and are reading this please release something that lives up to the high expectations we all have for it...

Posts: 89 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dr. Claw
Member # 2576

posted 02-21-2000 02:39 PM     Profile for Dr. Claw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Two-Six,

You just reiterated what I've been saying all along on so many posts. The question is, when are these developers going to catch on to the fact the crappy sims just don't sell well and that they had better do it right or not do it at all!? Damn it, if you can't get AT LEAST 20 fps for their stated MINIMUM hardware specs on the side of the box ( ever hear of truth in advertising? Or maybe their parents never told them what that meant? ) in ALL situations, then don't even think about selling it! I don't care how good it is in other areas of the game, you just can't respond fast enough to the changing conditions of the game ( eg., mid-air refueling ) if the fps' aren't there.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Claw (edited 02-21-2000).]

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.