my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Longbow 2 & CDROMs

Author Topic: Longbow 2 & CDROMs
Richthoven
unregistered

posted 02-05-2000 05:03 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have decided to give LB2 a serious try since I have some spare time! However I have a problem in that the game seems to hang up when it asks me to change CDROM disks. Win 98 error message is to the effect-"do you want to eject CD_Rom? This is being actively used etc" So how do I change the CD_ROM when requested to!
My system is

Dell dimension XPR
Toshiba DVD/CDrom drive
STB TNT 16 AGP card & Diamond Monster 3DII cards (on a different topic Mig Alley works fine for me with 3dfx D3D support disabled!)
DX7
Win 98 SE

look forward to some advice

PS I saw Apache Havoc in a bargain bin the other day-what do you all think when compared to LB2

IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 02-05-2000 06:02 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Probably a problem with the ancient copy protection of LB2.

Easiest would be to just have the proper CD in the drive. You only need CD1 if you want to fly the NTC, CD2 is for the Azer missions and campaigns, you can start the game with either one.

Or, If you have the spare disk, you could copy the content of the CDROMS to the disk and then use a utility such as FakeCD to let the game access them.

Blaze

Joe B
unregistered

posted 02-06-2000 12:12 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far as I know, LB2 has no copy protection. I've copied the originals and used the copies in Win95 w/out problems. If you have the disk space, use a program like Virtual CD to make CD images to the HD. I personally think it may be Win98. I had heard that Win98 sees a serial number on a CD that Win95 never checked for. It also may handle disk reading differently and lock up when it expects a certain CD in the tray.
Nolan
Member # 1753

posted 02-06-2000 12:24 PM     Profile for Nolan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It does solve your problem but I thought I'd tell you that I sometimes get the same thing but only for discs that are in my DVD drive, so I think it's related to that somehow.

Anyways I've contacted Pioneer to see if they have any ideas on how the get rid of it.

I'll be back.

/Nolan

Posts: 307 | From: Lund, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 02-06-2000 12:30 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well there were slightly oversized, IIRC, thus an "ancient" protection.
This can cause problems with some drives.

Btw I have no problems with them in my Pioneer DVD 303-S.

Blaze

Richthoven
unregistered

posted 02-06-2000 07:24 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips! I have found that all my problems stem from having "autoinsert notification" enabled. i have disabled it and now no problems! Means I have to reboot if I want to play CDs whilst working but hey!
Now have to learn to fly a helicopter-A little different from MA. Does anyone know how I can get the graphics even better than present. THe lines in the cockpit and scenery are a little jagged despite the claims on the box of "terrain smooting" No probs if this isn't pos! All the best out there

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 02-07-2000 08:55 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No need to reboot, just run the cdplayer tool from your start/programs/accessories menu!

Or, rightclick on the CD icon in the Explorer and choose 'Play'.

Blaze

Truro
Member # 679

posted 02-07-2000 12:06 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The game runs in 640 res. With the V2 cards you can get 1024 if you use the Wicked V2 drivers. Do a search of this forum and you will find the link.
Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.