my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Question about D3D Patch for Longbow 2

Author Topic: Question about D3D Patch for Longbow 2
icesnake2
Member # 1861

posted 01-20-2000 05:29 AM     Profile for icesnake2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello All

I have buy now Jane's Longbow 2. But i don't have a 3DFX Video card. I have a Guillemot GeForce Prophet D3D. Can i get a D3D patch for Longbow 2? So if i can please give me the URL.

Thanks
Icesnake out!

Posts: 19 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 01-20-2000 06:46 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the Creative Ann. Pro Geforce, and tried Janes LB II demo. I couldn t get it to work in D3D either. Now... apparently I could try the Creative Unified drivers to allow my Geforce to play the Glide version, but I m not sure I wanna go that route.
Funny, it s the only demo {or game for that matter} I couldn t play with my Geforce. Team Apaches demo on the other hand runs flawlessly.
As much as I loved LB II when it came out ie it s virtual cockpit, it s graphics are pretty outdated now. Can t wait to try Gunship.

Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 01-20-2000 07:03 AM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Icesnake2,

You might want to check Flexman's FAQ at: http://www.longbow.co.uk/lb2/faq.html

Enforcer.

Posts: 342 | From: Brossard, Québec, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 01-20-2000 06:23 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried the unified drivers for my Creative Pro Geforce card, and they do allow you to play 3dfx games with the Creative Geforce cards.
Yes indeed Longbow 2s demo was playable for me. But woohoo are the graphics ever outdated. I can t believe how old they look now. When that game first came out I was in heaven over how awesome it looked, big huge step above Longbow 1.
Team Apache kicked LB 2 right in the hiny ho hehhehheh I promptly removed that aging workhorse off the ole PC and will instead get my time in with TAs demo till Gunship graces my Geforce powered baby.
Still... I will keep the unified drivers in zip form till I absolutely MUST have them to try a 3dfx only game out.

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 01-20-2000 07:27 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
To each his own, but if you prefer the TA (Team Apache, right?) demo over LB2 full version then ... uhm ... err ... then I'm just out of words.

Blaze

Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 01-20-2000 08:10 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
nooo you miss my point.. I m strictly talking the cockpit immersiveness, force feedback, the feeling of flight.
I owned Longbow 2 at one time, but never bought Team Apache.
But there s something about the way it moves.. TA demo, that I like thats hard to put words to. Somehow I remember LB 2s graphics to be represented way better visually than the demo just showed.
And,,, I can only compare demos, since I no longer have the full version of LB 2. hehhehheh
From what I ve seen of Gunship, I can t wait to try it. I do remember loving LB 2s gameplay, and the rocket lighting effects, and mostly the virtual cockpit. I never tried it in multiplayer.
I also remember the single reason I didn t continue playing it. It didn t support force feedback. While TAs demo did a fine F.F. effect. But I also didn t buy TA because it didn t seem to be able to touch LB 2 in the areas I thought it should.
I was willing to wait for a heli sim to come out that was graphicly awesome,and delivered force feedback too. It looks like finally a heli sim is coming that delivers in all the areas that "I" think are important. Hopefully Gunship delivers, it certainly looks like it will. Here s hoping.

Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 01-21-2000 07:44 AM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I did some review reading of the Team apache game. As I ve said.. I never owned the "game".
I have to agree with the reviews. There s almost no control of your incockpit systems. Unlike LB II you can do everything. What I m actually looking for .... are the visuals of Gunship for helis and terrain, total incockpit control of the heli systems , exactly like Longbow 2 had, the ability to switch seats with the the gunner, an immersive and effective virtual cockpit, and force feedback joystick support. Guess now I know exactly why I "didn t" buy TA hehheh.
I also noticed after comparing the demos again that the cockpit seems easier to see thru, less obstructive in LB 2, than TAs in the demos.
One of the games , Team Alligator or Gunship.. in the preview I saw a virtual cockpit that could be switched to see thru, but you could still see the cockpit.
I m leaning towards Gunship, hopefully the view in the virtual cockpit will be pilot friendly, allowing a mostly clear unobstructed view..
In a perfect world, I really love to see a "Janes Longbow 3" with envelope pushing graphics, all it earlier traits intact, with force feedback this time. sigh one can only dream.... as I doubt there ever will be a LB 3.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.