my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Team Alligator Demo

Author Topic: Team Alligator Demo
Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 01-19-2000 07:32 AM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The German game magazine PCAction has an 88 MB playable demo of Team Alligator incl. the manual in html format.
Unfortunately there are no details what's included/available in the demo. Three problems :
1. The flight model is strange to say the least. The Heli behaves like a mixture of a starship and a rock. With all controls hands off, the Heli stays in the air and doesn't move. If I touch the rudder, the Heli reacts but snaps back as soon as I bring the rudders to neutral. If I go into a bank, it stays in the bank when hands off. There isn't the slightest flight feeling.
It seems the flight model options are locked in the demo. Is this the overeasy flight model what is offered ? I centainly hope so.

2. There's no sound in the demo, although all sound files seem to be there.
Soundcard is an SBLive with Liveware 3.0

3. The demo locks up as soon as I change MFD pages. System is a P-II 450, 128 MB, TNT2/Detonator 3.53, 128 MB, Direct X7.

Anyone from Simis out here to comment about the demo ?

BTW, the terrain graphics look excellent !

Jackal

Chadman
Member # 1875

posted 01-19-2000 08:54 AM     Profile for Chadman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about posting a link to the download? I've been searching everywhere for the demo, but can't seem to find it...

Thanks!

-Chadman

Posts: 18 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 01-19-2000 09:00 AM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Chadman,

no download, it's on their cover CD.
I just found that it's the E3 demo from May 1999. Now that explains a lot, although I'm wondering why Simis allows to publish such an old demo so close to the release. Not all users might realize that is something pre- alpha or whatever.
Jackal

Reflex
unregistered

posted 01-19-2000 09:38 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Klar ist Sound im Demo. Funktioniert bei mir ohne Probleme. Habe auch eine SB Live incl. Liveware 3.0.
Aber das Flugmodell ist doch schon etwas seltsam, soll sich so ein Ka-52 fliegen ?
Dafür ist die Landschafts-u. Objektdarsellung von Feinsten. Bei mir läuft das Demo absolut flüssig in 1024x768 16bit, alle Schalter auf Max, Sichtweite auf 3/4.
PIII500 MHz, 128MB,TNT2/U

Gruß Reflex

IP: Logged
Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 01-19-2000 09:51 AM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Reflex,
hmmm, das mit dem Sound ist ja komisch, hast Du irgendwas unternommen, um den Sound einzuschalten ? Ich hab nix dergleichen gefunden.
Stimmt, Framerate ist sehr gut und Terrain ist klasse.
Jackal

Zed
Member # 64

posted 01-19-2000 01:33 PM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That sounds like one of the old beta flight models...

Zed

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Reflex
unregistered

posted 01-19-2000 01:56 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jackal,

Beim Sound habe ich keine Einstellungen vornehmen müssen. Alles von Anfang an ok. Aber, wenn ich auf den MFD's die Reichweite verändere, Besonders im Vollbild stürzt die Sim öfters mal ab. Benutze übrigens DirectX7a mit den 3.53 NVidia TNT2-Treibern.
Hoffentlich wird das mit dem Flugmodell noch geändert, die Kiste fliegt sich wie im Anfängermodus. Kein Vergleich zu LB2 oder A-H.

Gruß Reflex

Zero G
Member # 311

posted 01-19-2000 02:09 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What has happened is that the playable E3 demo was on all press CDs. Someone has decided to release it, while I do not think this breaks any rules since it was on the press CD I think it was a very bad idea on the part of the magazine.

The MFD crash you are seeing probably comes after you go past the ground radar right?

Z

Posts: 374 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 01-19-2000 02:21 PM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Reflex,

let's change to english, so others can read this as well.
1. Sound : Still can't get it to run, I doubled clicked on the wav files, winamp tells me 'couldn't find destination format', Windows media player tells me "can't read, files are compressed". I have no idea how to decompress wav files, they seem to have the correct file size accoring to winzip or winace. Repeated the installation two times, no change.
2. I found the flight model options, you have to click game options twice. The second time in the lower right of the first options screen (another game options button).
The flight feeling is a bit better, but still something to get ...ahhh....used to.
3. I have huge amounts of randomly placed white and blue untextured polygons, sometimes at close distance. Suddenly the corresponding textures appear. This looks awful to say the least.
4. As you also said, a huge number of CTDs especially when changing MFD pages.

GT Interactive Germany said this demo IS based on the actual sim close to release (very late beta). The file SLDteam2.exe is dated 12/19/99.
I'm not impressed so far to put it mildly.
Jackal

unregistered

posted 01-19-2000 02:53 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I want to try the demo myself, and see how it moves. But one thing for sure we have to take into account-dual rotor system. It's a totaly different feeling. But, still maybe there are bugs in flight model.
Jackal
Member # 1202

posted 01-19-2000 03:17 PM     Profile for Jackal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Zero G,

sorry, read your post too late. Yes, crash happens with the MFD Air to Ground page.
Geez would be great if this is really old stuff, the terrain and objects look plain brilliant (without the texture popup of course), excellent heli playground with plenty of options to hide.

This must be old stuff, the manual has sentences like : " Put legal and disclaimer notice here, to be decided or be supplied by GT" .

Sure enough the KA-52 is a different bird than the Longbow ot Havoc. But don't misunderstand me, by no means I will tell anyone the flight model is wrong (can't judge this). I was just saying it is something to get used to. However, without all the flight model options to the max, there was no dynamic heli flight feeling at all.

Anyway, really bad decision to release this demo.
Jackal

Zero G
Member # 311

posted 01-19-2000 03:21 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If this demo is new then it has old problems that have not been there for some time. I have said before that I am not totaly happy with the FM in the late betas. I made another that I like better. The FM still has problems that may not be fixed.

Z

Posts: 374 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 01-19-2000 05:24 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd steer clear of that demo if you're interesting in something more aproximating the actual sim.

Those early alphas and betas had numerous issues (as all early demo code does).

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.