my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Gunship Advert.

Author Topic: Gunship Advert.
Tyler McFly
unregistered

posted 12-30-1999 07:30 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Computer Games magazine Feb 2000 has double page ad for Gunship and url www.gunship.com but my browser won't display it! IE5. I get a page error notice. I'm just wondering if they have shelved this project. I can't find one word about it on the microprose site. McFly
IP: Logged
Ozias
unregistered

posted 12-30-1999 07:36 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, a wonderful advert for their product...

a blank page.

Ka-52
unregistered

posted 12-30-1999 10:26 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I shot it down.
Tyler McFly
unregistered

posted 01-03-2000 06:12 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Page is now up at www.gunship.com. McFly
Pretzel
Member # 800

posted 01-05-2000 08:09 PM     Profile for Pretzel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry to see the AH-1S Cobra Gunship mot make the cut

Web site say:
Fly the AH-64D Apache, Westland Apache, Eurocopter Tiger and Mil-28 Havoc.

I seen the Cobra in it at E3

sigh !
Pretzel

Scout
Member # 657

posted 01-06-2000 12:35 PM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, flying the Snake could be great. Too bad they had to axe it. It's not that I'm against one more helo sim to be released, I buy 'em all (even NL crap), but I'm kinda having more of my money on Razorworks and Simis than on MPS.

Cheers,
Scout

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 01-06-2000 01:39 PM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I have my money more on Razorworks and MPS here. ;-)

Btw there is a game magazine out here that says it has 5 video clips of GS! on the CD, I'm gonna check it out tomorrow to see if it's worth uploading.

Even more btw, the same magazine had a quite negative review of Ka-52 ... ;-)

Blaze

[This message has been edited by Blaze (edited 01-06-2000).]

Zero G
Member # 311

posted 01-06-2000 04:23 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What magazine was that? I would like to see the stuff on KA-52. Did it say what build the preview was for?

Z

Posts: 374 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 01-07-2000 06:56 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
German magazine PC Joker.
But don't sweat it, they don't seem to be qualified to test sims.
They concentrate on the graphics which they found not much improved over Team Apache, whereas the hardware needs are said to be tremendeuos (PII300/64MB as minimum).
They mention nine training missions with voiceover, 16 single missions, 2 campaigns with 30 missions overall(?) and a random mission generator.
The menues are found to be ugly and hard to navigate, sound and speech is said to be quite good. Control of the aircraft is said to be extremely bad, they couldn't find a good working setup for either joysticks or the keyboard.

"After all, a simulation with only one interesting point: the new aircraft - not enough for a recommendation."

Mind you, the whole text fits on half a page, with some screens on the other half.

As for the GS! videos, they are only render graphics, no in-game. Another $5 down the toilet. :-(

Blaze

Oh and no, they don't mention the version

[This message has been edited by Blaze (edited 01-07-2000).]

Zero G
Member # 311

posted 01-07-2000 10:44 AM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well as soon as I read that they think the graphics are bad I assume they have not played the game ever. The only thing that comes close that I have seen for graphics is screens from C-H. TA looks very nice. I also am not sure what they are having problems with control wise.

<shrug>

I hope a demo will be released, it is another sim and as such it will win some people over and not others.

Z

Schurem
Member # 1345

posted 01-08-2000 10:33 AM     Profile for Schurem   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, it will surely win me over, for i gratly enjoyed team apache
i've seen the screenshots and movies and bought a g400 for it
i can't wait till release day

------------------
I just LOVE the smell of NAPALM in the morning

Posts: 200 | From: nijmegen, netherlands | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Storm
Member # 1480

posted 01-08-2000 11:30 PM     Profile for Storm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YYYYYAAAAAAAWWWWWWWNNNNNNNN, another Apache sim. How many times are we going to have to see this?? They dropped the "Snake" and installed not one, but two versions of the AH-64. No imagination anymore. Come on, get off the Apache kick.
Posts: 606 | From: Crestview, Florida USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Seawolf_1
Member # 1850

posted 01-10-2000 04:46 PM     Profile for Seawolf_1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wonder why no one has ever thought of doing a SAR sim. Maybe something with the Coast Guard, Navy and Air Force. Different missions at different time periods. The closest I've seen is Team incursions with the blackhawk in LB2.
Just a thought

TetsuBo
Member # 330

posted 01-10-2000 05:00 PM     Profile for TetsuBo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well there was a SAR helo sim. Never played it tho.
And there's a new one heading your way. http://www.iavision.com/sar2/

------------------
I am TetsuBo, eater of cookies and souls

[This message has been edited by TetsuBo (edited 01-10-2000).]

Posts: 127 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
INSPECTOR
Member # 291

posted 01-10-2000 05:03 PM     Profile for INSPECTOR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
there is a sar sim, ill see if i can find it on the longbow list again for you
Posts: 109 | From: omaha, ne | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
INSPECTOR
Member # 291

posted 01-10-2000 05:44 PM     Profile for INSPECTOR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, what the guy with the eating disorder said...
Posts: 109 | From: omaha, ne | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
TetsuBo
Member # 330

posted 01-10-2000 05:50 PM     Profile for TetsuBo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't mind the grumpy old man, he's just bitching because he's to slow.

------------------

Storm
Member # 1480

posted 01-11-2000 04:24 AM     Profile for Storm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been asking for a CSAR sim for a few years now. I'm a former MH-60G PaveHawk guy, and would love to see our missions re-inacted. Coming into a hot LZ with miniguns blazing, then having to complete an air to air refueling with a MC-130E tanker. Now that would be great!!!!
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 01-11-2000 03:08 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I couldn't agree more, coming in fast and low for a rescue would provide endless hours of fun. It should be a combo sim with the cobra so that in multiplayer games you could have a buddy covering for you.

Man it's cool to dream of what could be.

[This message has been edited by Zero G (edited 01-11-2000).]

Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 01-11-2000 05:44 PM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Z,

Erm..Ever heard of Lb2 ? We have those type of missions in it... Inspector is one hell of a Truck (Black Hawk) pilot, where one (or more)of the other three pilots will cover his flight to pickup or drop some troops.

Enforcer.

Posts: 342 | From: Brossard, Québec, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 01-11-2000 08:37 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL

Hmm what is this LB2 thing that you speak of?

I know that LB2 has a form of this but any form of SAR sim must have a killer FM and well... D3D support. Since LB2 has a only passable versions of both I want something new and improved.

Better terrain, more trees, more units on the maps, bigger maps and better AI. I want the same feeling I get as I try sneak into an enemy airbase in A-H with even better terrain and trees then TA. I know to do this there would have to be a combo of tree blocks like A-H and the trees in TA but having to pick out a LZ would be part of the problem.

LB2 just doesn't cover SAR very well IMO.
Z

Enforcer
Member # 85

posted 01-12-2000 01:26 AM     Profile for Enforcer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well maybe you're right Z, but still for such an "old" sim, it still is something, isn't it? Besides when it came out, the "hot" card was the Monster or 3Dfx #1...

One more thing, flying Lb2 on an upgraded Pc is quite different than flying it from our old P233Mmx btw...

Regards,

Enforcer.

Posts: 342 | From: Brossard, Québec, Canada | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zero G
Member # 311

posted 01-12-2000 02:32 AM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes it is something else for an older sim. I think that LB2 paved the way for most of the newer sims. IMO Hind was a better sim then LB2 but the sales of LB2 was the proof that other developers needed. It was tons of fun for sure and I spent many hours with it.

I did still play LB2 on my current system until I got rid of my voodoo1. If D3D had worked then I may still play online with you guys. I know there isn't enough Kiowa pilots in your ranks anyway

Z

Storm
Member # 1480

posted 01-12-2000 05:32 AM     Profile for Storm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was really speaking about a Spec Ops helo sim, more so than a CSAR sim. Our missions usually entailed dropping off a "customer" behind enemy lines to wreak some havoc, than pop in to extract them after the fun was over. I worked both MH-60G's and MH-53J/M PaveLows. We carried 7.62mm miniguns and .50cal machine guns. Over in Kosovo, we worked with Task Force Hawk (Apache's) and provided CSAR coverage for them had they invaded. We also went in and rescued the F-117 and F-16 pilots who were shot down. Now that would be some great sim flying!! Nap of the earth TF/TA, on Night Vision Goggles. Hey, you sim makers, anyone want to try this???? Hint hint.
TetsuBo
Member # 330

posted 01-12-2000 01:36 PM     Profile for TetsuBo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Z have you tried a glide wrapper?
I threw out my old V1 too and thought I had to give up LB2 but then I tried a glide wrapper and it worked with my Asus TNT2U card.
Now I'm still able to enjoy LB2.
I'm also one of the few people who enjoy flying the Kiowa.

------------------

Zero G
Member # 311

posted 01-12-2000 01:55 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have tried the wrappers but have had no luck getting any of the versions to work right. I had my hopes up because I was also interested in running Hornet Korea again. Oh well.

Z

Scout
Member # 657

posted 01-12-2000 02:46 PM     Profile for Scout   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Storm,

I imagine your service is amongst the coolest things to do... Insertion missions were the ones I enjoyed the most in LB2. I mean killin' armor is a blast but there's nothing cooler than to come in in the dark and watch them commandos head for the village.

ZeroG - the same story here, exactly. I'm almost able to make LB2 work with Unified 1.20 but I have flashing screen, so its unplayable. HK is NOGO too

Uhmm...I love Kiowa too... hence the nick... I think there's a lot of guys that like the prowlessness (sp?) and maneurability of this helo.

Cheers,
Scout

[This message has been edited by Scout (edited 01-12-2000).]

Posts: 715 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rosco
Member # 1779

posted 01-12-2000 07:55 PM     Profile for Rosco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I imagine the Cobra will be on the same {rumored} expansion pack the KA-50, RAH-66, MI-35 and maybe the Mangusta will be on.

Storm > I'd rather see a Jolly Green or Pave Low sim over another attack helicopter any day, especially if it had a Rogue Spear quality Spec Ops component to it.

I also think a successful online electronic battlefield would make even utilitarian tasks
fun, look at all the "fishermen" and "bakers"
in those mindless online RPG's.

------------------
"Charlie don't care, he'll slit your throat"

[This message has been edited by Rosco (edited 01-12-2000).]

Posts: 984 | From: Hazzard County | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
LIONPRIDE
unregistered

posted 01-13-2000 11:29 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kiowa Pilot here. Give me a Kiowa anyday in a Death Match with the Apache. I've gone DM in a BlackHawk against an Apache....can't say I did as well....*smile*
LIONPRIDE
unregistered

posted 01-13-2000 11:33 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One more thing.

Anyone willing to "burn" a copy of HIND or even sell me thier copy that's collecting dust? I've done everything...even left messages with the company...they never answer. Sure wish I had a copy of it...*sigh*

Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 01-15-2000 01:26 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hi all. I used to play LB II religously. Loved it.. till I tried the Team Apache demo and was wowed by the force feedback effects.
I emailed Janes asking if we d ever get the f.f. patch for Longbow II... no reply, :0( I didn t like Team Apache at all. Since then I ve been waiting for a cool Heli sim to appear, that promised cutting edge graphics, terrain with exacting attention to detail... graphics that made you feel you were there... . I did love the virtual cockpit in LB II.
Just read a preview of Gunship. I thought Team Aligator was gonna rock, but the visuals of Gunship seem too good to be true. Now... will it support f.f. joysticks??? In Team Apaches demo it was so cool to feel explosion buffetting, bullet rounds hitting, the rotor tilt effects... they missed the actual rotor vibration tho sadly aaarrrggghhh but all else was grewat, and very much added to the immersive feel of piloting.
I really hope Microprose has looked into this. They did great with the force effects for Mechwarrior 3. I did have to edit the effects of the jump jets tho, hehhehheh.
Anyone here use game commander??? I didn t have it for LB II, but wish I did. Do use it with Mech 3 tho, very cool.
www.gamecommander.com it s a voice command utility that s especially for controlling your video game commands by voice. There s nothing like controlling wingmates by voice.
It s now usable while using Battlecom or Rogerwilco. I know it s going to make those impossible keyboard commands alot easier to control... it sure works awesome for Mech 3. Can t wait to try Gunship. Also hope Gunship supports the [email protected] of Geforce video cards. <S>

bgamblin
unregistered

posted 01-17-2000 10:14 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shataan,

Yes, Gunship does have Force Feedback support. So far, we have localized weapon effects, localized damage effects, and rotor wash effects.

-Brand

Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 01-17-2000 05:33 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
awesome totally awesome... by rotor wash do you mean that we ll be able to feel the prop vibration?? I don t even know if it s an actual feeling you do feel in real life with your hand on the stick... but Microsofts instore demo effect of the rotor as it s starting and goes up to speed is great... you feel the stick slowly start to wobble then faster and faster.
The feeling in your hand was cool. I really missed that in TAs demo, but everything else was cool. I hope that s the effect you re talking about. thx for the info. <S>

Zero G
Member # 311

posted 01-17-2000 06:09 PM     Profile for Zero G   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't speak for the Apache but in civi helos you do feel the shake in the stick. If your trim tabs are out of place then it can be very ugly. I went up to test an R-22 after rotor work had been done, the tabs should have been ok by ground tests but it was not. As speed increased so did the shake, after one trip around the airport my arm felt like I had been holding a jack hammer. Ugly stuff.

Z

Shataan
Member # 1976

posted 01-17-2000 08:56 PM     Profile for Shataan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
that s the cool thing about the Microsoft f.f. stick, I ve adjusted the force feedback so it s not so brutal. Also I have the Iforce f.f. editor, and can edit the force effects of any game where I feel it needs tweaking. Very cool software, and a must have if you re into f.f. !!
In Team Apache, there s no rotor vibration aaarrrggghhh all the other effects are great tho. I have heard that civy sims do have the rotor vib. Just installed the Team Apache demo again 3 days ago. It s been awhile, but I sure missed being in the cockpit.
Also tried to install the Longbow II demo and got a surprise.. it will not run on my Geforce Pro under D3D aaarrrggghhh NP... TAs graphics will be enough to hold me over till the mighty Gunship graces my PC. woohoo <S>

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.