my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Longbow Limited Edition: Genius Needed

Author Topic: Longbow Limited Edition: Genius Needed
Hellburner
Member # 925

posted 12-08-1999 12:05 PM     Profile for Hellburner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I am still in shock over the Hasbro/Falcon 4.0 hatchet job, but I still want to turn my attention to an old nagging bug.

Around a year ago I bought Jane's AH-64D Longbow Limited Edition. I know, I know, I should have run screaming from a "Limited Edition", but I had 20 bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I bought the dumb thing.

Ah...It doesn't work.

Again, I know I should have run back to the store but I didn't. It installs fine, but whenever I run the tutorial or one of the missions, I get the weirdest bug, followed by an eventual crash. The upper left quarter of the screen is distorted by having intermeshed lines---almost as if two views are being fused into one area of the screen. You fly and turn the aircraft, and you see this bizarre intermeshed view. Only a photo could really explain what the heck I mean.

Has anyone got a clue as how to resolve this?
EA/Jane's site doesn't even acknowledge the limited edition in their patch/games lists.
I am running a 333 II, 64 megs, Voodoo 2. I have a hard time believing the machine is the problem, since it runs Falcon 4 pretty smoothly, and Halflife cooks. I've tried getting email support, but I think EA answers emails only when the full moon occurs on February 29.

Any body with any clues or familiarity with this bug I would really appreciate your input.

Hellburner

macmourn
unregistered

posted 12-08-1999 12:22 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
are you running the game in windows? if i remember correctly the game can be installed under windows but prefers to run in dos
IP: Logged
Hellburner
Member # 925

posted 12-10-1999 10:16 AM     Profile for Hellburner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
C'mon...I'm keeping this post current until somebody comes up with some clues. I'll try the DOS thing though, thanks.

Anybody else?

Haggart
Member # 154

posted 12-10-1999 09:26 PM     Profile for Haggart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If this is LB1 there should be a note that says to run it under DOS. Hope that solves the problem for you. Does LB1 also have to run on a Voodoo card?
Posts: 74 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-11-1999 01:00 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Plain LB1 runs in software only, no 3D supported.
Truro
Member # 679

posted 12-11-1999 11:44 AM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Spend another $20 for Longbow II, that's what you should fly. It was written for glide, also is multiplayer.
Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
INSPECTOR
Member # 291

posted 12-11-1999 03:41 PM     Profile for INSPECTOR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ditto on what truro said....
Posts: 109 | From: omaha, ne | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CornFlake
Member # 1355

posted 12-12-1999 06:30 PM     Profile for CornFlake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, you should keep running & screaming until you found LB2. That's a good inversion for other 20 burning bucks that you found in your pocket. Anyway, almost all sims work better on DOS than in Windows. Try that way.
Posts: 95 | From: Barcelona. Spain | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mongoose
unregistered

posted 12-13-1999 05:32 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried playing Longbow2 with my Xentor32 TNT2 card. All the smoke in the game makes these grey lines. They originate from the smoke and go out to random corners of the screen. I have to switch to 3d mode and back to 2d to get them off the 2d cockpit when they smoke is gone. Any idea whats wrong here?
IP: Logged
Truro
Member # 679

posted 12-13-1999 06:17 PM     Profile for Truro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Longbow 2 was originally glide only when it came out in fall '97. It was patched for the d3d cards out in early '98, like the riva, matrox, etc. I don't know what to tell you, maybe try a glide wrapper.
Posts: 1441 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 12-13-1999 08:24 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ATTN Mongoose,

Getting rid of the "little grey lines" of the D3D moded is pretty easy if you can live without the smoke.

In OPTIONS turn off smoke effects and zero the smoke intensity slider. If that doesn't work for you then edit the CA.INI file, locate where these smoke settings are and set the values to zero.

This information is available in the Longbow 2 Technical FAQ at http://www.longbow.co.uk/lb2/faq.html

Richard 'Flexman' Hawley

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
INSPECTOR
Member # 291

posted 12-13-1999 08:26 PM     Profile for INSPECTOR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
flexman provides some info if you havent already checked it out
http://www.longbow.co.uk/lb2/faq.html#direct3D

Posts: 109 | From: omaha, ne | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Blaze
Member # 198

posted 12-14-1999 04:10 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, that was close! ;-)
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 12-14-1999 05:42 AM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sure was close. Nearly had a "network collision" there
Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.