my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » Which sim has the best ground troops?

Author Topic: Which sim has the best ground troops?
AnArcHISt
Member # 136

posted 11-25-1999 10:26 AM     Profile for AnArcHISt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally I think it was DI HIND - those tiny soldiers walked around carrying their rifles, RPGs, MANPADs, machine guns. The movements were done rather realistically. When you fired at them, they ran for cover - some of them turned around and fired their AKs or M-16s at you! You could actually see one lift an SA-7 or even a RPG to the shoulder and aim it at you. Overall, I think it was done rather nicely.
arrow
Member # 321

posted 11-25-1999 10:58 AM     Profile for arrow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Hind was alone in this dept.

Well, also Team Apache have some troops, but its troops were sparse and "lonely".

So the choice seems rather obliged...

Blaze
Member # 198

posted 11-25-1999 11:38 AM     Profile for Blaze   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LB2 has troops as well, also sparse and lonely. ApacheHavoc has some lonely soldiers, too.
Richard 'Flexman' Hawley
Member # 55

posted 11-25-1999 02:18 PM     Profile for Richard 'Flexman' Hawley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

I think Longbow Flash Point Korea had the most interesting use of troops. The enemy deployed special ops teams behind your lines. During the night missions they were easily spotted through the FLIR/TADS against the terrain.

And Hind of course.

Posts: 396 | From: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
benno
unregistered

posted 11-27-1999 09:12 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hind had top troops,land load them in take off turn sharply and whatch them fall!
IP: Logged
Bogey
Member # 998

posted 11-27-1999 10:38 AM     Profile for Bogey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In LB2, I often see soldiers firing at me, either with guns or a shoulder-launched SAM.
They run for cover when I fire at them.
But, having only one or two soldiers guarding a supply depot or something, is rather silly.
I would have wanted troops coming out of BMPs or other APCs and infantry units with dozens of troops in a small area.

------------------
Pushing the edge of the envelope...

Posts: 339 | From: West coast of Sweden | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
kbedford
unregistered

posted 11-29-1999 01:32 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Flew a CASEVAC in DI's Hind last night, landed, opened the doors & watched 2 stretcher crews run up & load the wounded into the helo (from outside view).
Have also landed troops and watched them disembark, only to get shot up because I hadn't prepped the area properly.
If you can get Hind (5 in UK!) its well worth it.
LB2 has some good troop stuff but well hidden - theres one mission where you protect special forces attacking an enemy base, if you are quick you can see the troops running around planting charges!
Cheers,
Keith

IP: Logged
Viking1
Member # 5

posted 11-29-1999 08:02 PM     Profile for Viking1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not a flight sim, but M1TP2 and Panzer Elite both have nice use of troops. The coming Gunship and Tank Platoon III will surpass anything to date
Posts: 917 | From: Kelowna BC CANADA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.