my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Game Discussions (Genre)   » Helos   » A-H strat.-exiting the area...

Author Topic: A-H strat.-exiting the area...
Zed
Member # 64

posted 10-13-1999 02:26 PM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Pop-quiz, what try of radar usage techniques do you guys use when exiting a 'hot' zone, after an engagement. I finished off the US in Guantanamo pretty easily, and this was never really an issue. No in Thailand the Chinese are proving a real problem from the point of view of making contact on the exiting leg. This is probably because of the proximity of their FARPS to the front-line where Iím operating and the sim generated a retaliatory strike really quickly. The problem is both A-A & A-G contact, being low or out of ordinance and the computer directed exit flight path taking me over enemy territory. How should surveillance be conducted? I've tried auto-pilot and then rapid sweeps with multi-sensors, but it takes me out of NOE (50ft masking alt.) really quickly and if Iím flying NOE by hand I suffer overload really soon (no HOTAS).
Also can SAM systems track over hills? There was a time when exiting the area I had missiles fired at me after I had run 10ft down to the deck and over the brow of a hill...!

Thanks

Zed

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 10-15-1999 08:24 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In A-H I always popped up if the coast appeared to be clear (and SURPRISE! It wasn't always.) and did a quick sensor scan - but I usually used any terrain and/or trees to mask my comings and goings. Non Electronic-Non Carbon Fiber Mark I STEALTH. Sensors are nice but I also treated them like big red strobe lights on top of my chopper. In short I RUN SILENT RUN DEEP then RUN. I try not to be a hero once I get into the NO REPLAY mentally when enjoying the sim. I pick my target and shot and scoot. You don't always win - but then ain't that like real life - but I survive. At least that how I play the game. In the real world - I'm glad they got professionals to do it. My 2 cents.
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 10-15-1999 08:27 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I also study the map for terrain features and last reports of enemy units. Since its a dynamic battlefield you just never know what you might find so you play your hunches.
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 10-15-1999 08:29 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess what I am saying is I pay more attention to flying and less on sensors. Cuts down on my overload.
Zed
Member # 64

posted 10-18-1999 05:58 AM     Profile for Zed     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Spot!

So you say use passive sensors only and fly very low...i normally use a river valley to provide cover. So how do you stop yourself from getting jumped? or this that inevitable?

Thanks

zed

Posts: 866 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SPOT
Member # 453

posted 10-18-1999 03:56 PM     Profile for SPOT   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always use the river valley if enemy helos or SU's were in the area but like in real life I got surprised on the dynamic battlefield by enemy units that I thought were flying away or were not observing me.
I haven't played this sim in 4 months - not because I don't like it - it's just that I got so many other sims to keep me involved.
I will be returning to it - it deserves more then the one month I gave it. But in the time I played it like I said I survived more often
by not playing the hero and using terrain masking. I always set my waypoints to avoid contact with the other side. I just concentrated at the mission at hand after I got over the initial 'Ramboesque' mission approach everyone goes through when they put a sim on their hard-drive. If I didn't win a campaign because of tactical errors that was fine. You don't always win the war in real life. Of course I didn't always win my Cuban Campaign (the only one I played.)
Right now I'm deep into Warbirds, IAF and Janes WWIIF. I will eventually put these down and return to A-H, LB-2 and Team Apache. Played HIND to death. Try to do the same sim systems at the same time. Sorry to stray from your original question. To survive and be victorious on the 'virtual' battlefield on full realism settings (100%) is tough in any good sim.

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.