my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Gaming Community Discussions   » The "OpenSim" Project   » Is OpenSim dead ???

Author Topic: Is OpenSim dead ???
Red Ant
Member # 5468

posted 11-27-2000 11:06 PM     Profile for Red Ant   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, is it ?? Would be a shame, really ...
Posts: 447 | From: Germany | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
stimpy
Member # 6066

posted 11-28-2000 11:03 AM     Profile for stimpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's alive and kicking at www.ebattlefield.org and the news server news.ebattlefield.org.

There has been a slow down to some of the people getting side tracked by the holidays, but we are working around that.

stimpy

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 11-28-2000).]

aquila
Member # 7114

posted 11-29-2000 09:02 AM     Profile for aquila   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OpenSim is being redesigned to support the collaborative efforts of eBattlefield and other Open Source flight simulation efforts.

These changes should take place next week.

Joe Mangan

Teapot
Member # 27

posted 11-29-2000 07:12 PM     Profile for Teapot   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aquila, fwiw, I'd like to thank you for your efforts.
You appear to have an indomitable spirit from which I could do well to observe and learn.

Thank you.

Krisno Pryosusilo

Posts: 218 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, AUSTRALIA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 12-10-2000 06:56 AM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Defination of the eBattlefield project:
A project dedicated to bring out a free, open source modular simulation that can cater for anyone with the right stuff added.

Please define: "Opensim"

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
aquila
Member # 7114

posted 12-10-2000 02:48 PM     Profile for aquila   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There has been a delay in updating the site as Greg Myers who donated the site has been busy the past several weeks and has been unable to assist me in the migration of the responsability for the site.

The holidays are always a busy time so please be patient.

Thanks!

Joe Mangan

shok
Member # 122

posted 12-10-2000 05:34 PM     Profile for shok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stimpy said ebattlefield is alive and kicking. The website has only a list of names, categories, and something about ultrabored. The last update was about a hard disk crash last month.
I was hoping to find, at minimum, a project and coordination plan, a list of main goals and priorities, and what trade-offs to be made to make the project a reality. It didn't look like ebf had reached that point yet.

When OpenSim was started it came on pretty strong. ebf then intercepted the effort. I don't think OpenSim is dead, but it's more of still a dream or a concept rather than a real project at this point.

aquila
Member # 7114

posted 12-11-2000 10:13 PM     Profile for aquila   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shok.

OpenSim is real, as I stated earlier, I am devoting my efforts to OpenSim full time.
This is now my full time day as well as night job!

Stimpy with eBattlefield, and OpenSim are collaborating to allow both efforts to be successfull. OpenSim will serve as an Research and Development "Skunk works" for several Open Source Flight Simulation Projects.

eBattleField are having a number of technical difficulties at the moment that they are dilligently working thru.

I am in the process of reorganizing the OpenSim site with changes to be made in the next couple of weeks.

OpenSim will be posting a thread very soon to discuss projects, priorities, and specifications which the membership will be voting on to establish our direction.

Stay tuned!

Joe Mangan a.k.a. Aquila

[This message has been edited by aquila (edited 12-11-2000).]

LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 12-22-2000 08:25 AM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup... Also, eBattlefield is getting more open soon (hopefully).

I like the idea in general but I don't quite see the deal with a "Skunk Works" for open source simulation.
Where's the need for a seperate research entity when almost everything conducted in eBattlefield is/will also be research?

------------------

Posts: 775 | From: PiteŚ, Norrbotten, Sweden. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Brandon
Member # 5476

posted 12-22-2000 08:55 AM     Profile for Brandon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ebattlefield is dead as well.

Maybe in the future, we can all try again. And learn from the mistakes that happened.

Posts: 59 | From: Brooklyn Park, MN USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
stimpy
Member # 6066

posted 12-22-2000 04:34 PM     Profile for stimpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
eB is not dead. We are restructuring due to a couple issues beyond our control. First the servers crashed and alot of information was lost. Second it is the holidays. Third, Primetime and Moose are unable to continue work due to personal issues.

Therefore we are working to relaunch it under new ideas, structure, etc.

I have been trying to get ahold of Aquila to talk about this, but have not been successful yet.

Aquila email me

stimpy

LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 12-23-2000 05:29 AM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup. In fact, until the news server died, there was actually quite a brainstorming period in mostly, the coding groups. And those are really the only ones that need to bother this early on aren't they?
I mean, it's hardly any idea to start modelling too much without even having a graphics engine to apply it to. In the same fashion, I can't see flight data being given to the different objects until we have a working physics model, etc...

But then, what do I know about these things.

As Stimpy said, all eggs were in Primetime's and Moose's baskets and then they dropped out.
We're not going to do that again...

------------------

aquila
Member # 7114

posted 12-23-2000 11:43 AM     Profile for aquila   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stimpy, Leadhead, brandon.

I am visiting relatives in California at the moment for the holidays!

I have contacted Stimpy via email this morning and proposed that we get togeather via telephone at 5PM central time next tuesday.

I am really excited at the prospect of everyone working togeather on this project!

There are clearly many brilliant people willing to contribute to this effort!

Joe Mangan
Aquila
[email protected]

Habu 163rd
Member # 302

posted 12-23-2000 06:15 PM     Profile for Habu 163rd     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So.....Open Sim lives!? And eBattlefield?? I am supposedly on the "Team", but have heard NOTHING since the initial "Great Happening" back in Sep/Oct. The website has had no activity in a month and the news server has been down since Nov. I contacted Moose, the great leader, who replied he was no longer active and to contact Primetime. Ok, then Primetime says he is inactive, contact Stimpy. WTF! Some organization!

The tragedy is that the huge groundswell of enthusiasm Gilman Louie generated with his Open Sim concept thread appears to have been effectively squandered by piss poor leadership and lack of communications by the eBattle group. If any real work is occuring behind the scenes, it is a well kept secret.

I have developed a great skepticism that a project of such enormous magnitude an complexity can be accomplished on a volunteer basis. I dare someone to prove me wrong.

My $.02
Habu Out

Posts: 514 | From: Virginia Beach, VA, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Brandon
Member # 5476

posted 12-23-2000 09:34 PM     Profile for Brandon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Habu,

I think it can be done with volunteers. I think it comes down to finding a few dedicated people to get this project moving.

Usually when you have too many people in a group, everybody just squabbles and nothing gets done, or decided. Then people get frustrated, and leave. I seen that on Ebattlefield before the news server went down.

I think at first, we need maybe 5-10 people who get this project moving at the most. Then evolve from there.

Posts: 59 | From: Brooklyn Park, MN USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
KatFahrt
Member # 8384

posted 12-24-2000 09:19 AM     Profile for KatFahrt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, I hope you guys get this going. But it looks dead as Kelseys nuts.
Posts: 35 | From: Metropolis West, California | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mandatory
Member # 5516

posted 12-25-2000 05:24 AM     Profile for Mandatory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
why not put all work to sourceforge and give volunteers to some work .. ie. software team make some type modeller to build all therse models, network team build some testing enviroment ... there is so much to do.

:Manda

LeadHead
Member # 184

posted 12-25-2000 01:49 PM     Profile for LeadHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Habu 163rd:
So.....Open Sim lives!? And eBattlefield?? I am supposedly on the "Team", but have heard NOTHING since the initial "Great Happening" back in Sep/Oct. The website has had no activity in a month and the news server has been down since Nov. I contacted Moose, the great leader, who replied he was no longer active and to contact Primetime. Ok, then Primetime says he is inactive, contact Stimpy. WTF! Some organization!

The tragedy is that the huge groundswell of enthusiasm Gilman Louie generated with his Open Sim concept thread appears to have been effectively squandered by piss poor leadership and lack of communications by the eBattle group. If any real work is occuring behind the scenes, it is a well kept secret.

My $.02
Habu Out

Only minor organizational work has been done "behind the scenes" up 'til today. Well, there have also been some scetches on server achitecture...

I agree on piss por leadership although I understand that they've all had some macho-size problems "IRL".

One major problem has been that a small group of people have been sitting on virtually all information. Even the contact information.
Only one guy has had access to the site etc.

Those of us that are currently working on getting the thing up and running don't have the members' database, no site access, bloody nothing!
Those who've wanted to do something have just been sitting around without the ability to do so.

Not exactly mildly frustrating, is it? And I bet I'm not alone...

As I see it, getting the communication working is #1 priority with a representative site with update goals and such as #2.
Stick mass meetings to decide on those goals in there between and we'll be on our way...

Note that I'm exclusively talking about eBattlefield here as I'm still unsure regarding what Aquila wants to do with OpenSim.

Can you tell me Aquila? (no hurry, finish your vaccation duties first )
Some sort of research division for several open source projects? Well, right now there's only one and what do you think we'll do except researching? Ehh?

Anyway, looking forward to getting this up and running, hopefully as a more open and cozy organization for everyone who wants to participate.

Habu, feel free to get in touch over ICQ.
UIN: 11059450

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site: http://fly.to/lead-head

[This message has been edited by LeadHead (edited 12-25-2000).]

stimpy
Member # 6066

posted 12-27-2000 09:03 AM     Profile for stimpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Greetings all again...

I must apologize for the happenings in eB over the last few months. Instances beyond our control have hampered everything. I am pretty much the only original eB person left "alive". I have been trying to get all the contact information so we can get moving on this whole project. I don't really know what the problem is, but I am working on it.

My idea is to open up the project more than what it was. I was curtailed in alot of my decisions due to the old orginization. This will be changing as I speak to Aquila.

Aquila I hope you got my message about not being able to call on Tuesday due to the holidays

stimpy

Red Ant
Member # 5468

posted 01-18-2003 06:23 PM     Profile for Red Ant   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess it's gone down the crapper after all.
Posts: 447 | From: Germany | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.