If anyone is interested, I worked on Skins-n-More today (hmm, yesterday now ;-), and am almost ready for an "alpha" release. It won't do themes yet (i.e. copying whole sets of texture files), and I haven't incorporated any logic to copy to an existing EAW Stab directory structure. I've done some preliminary testing, and it looks good, but I would not call it fully tested (and I've only been working on Windows 98). I'm wondering if there are any of you who might want to help me test it and give some feedback.
I don't plan on changing the directory structure of where you (are recommended to) store skins. So any effort you make to copy the texture/3d files (i.e. *.tpc, *.ter, *.3dz) into the Skins-n-More created sub-folders would not be wasted for later releases.
Skins-n-More "alpha" currently has the following functionality:
- Supports multiple European Air War installs via an .ini file (you can install skinsnmore.exe almost anywhere on your hard drive)
- You "register" an aircraft skin or terrain so they are mapped to selected texture files. This facilitates copying all files related to an aircraft skin or terrain with a double-click.
- If you copy an image (.bmp, .gif or .jpg) into the folder with the texture files, it will display it in the "register texture" screen, and the main screen.
- By double-clicking on a registered aircraft skin or terrain on the main screen, or clicking once then clicking the "Apply" button, all texture files you associated with that aircraft or terrain will be copied to the EAW folder
- You can "unregister" an aircraft skin or terrain which will take it off list in the main menu. It will not delete any texture files.
- You can quickly reset all skins to EAW default with a single click
- You can select one or more skins to change to EAW default by clicking appropriate checkboxes.
It's still a little rough, but it will give you an example of what the final utility will look and function like. I'm not sure how this will be received, but it's taken longer than I'd hoped, and I wanted to have something to show and get some feedback.
If you are interested in testing it out, drop me an email at [email protected] . My wife and kids permitting, I'll have something ready to send out by tomorrow night (er, tonight...).
S! Joe aka Relent
C.O. No609 Sqn
Relent's EAW Skins