Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Spitfire versus V1 - Photo

Author Topic: Spitfire versus V1 - Photo
Pharaoh
Member # 1123

posted 02-12-2000 02:17 PM     Profile for Pharaoh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I have known of them doing this but have read in past posts that the Aircraft didn't actuall contact the wing of the V1 but rather disrupted the airflow over the V-1's wing, therefore causing it to crash.

Until then, I had been lead to believe that they actually contacted. Came across this photo today. Due to grainy graphics, it does not prove inconclusively that they did, but . . . well . . . you decide.

By the way, don't try this in EAW; I am told it will cause you both to explode.

------------------
"A mind is like a parachute; it only functions when it is open." Sir Lewis Dewar

One step further, "I may not agree with what you say but will fight to the death for your right to say it"

Posts: 2180 | From: Harrison, AR,USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
rjm
Member # 1373

posted 02-12-2000 05:16 PM     Profile for rjm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Looks like it's touching to me. I HAVE noticed the 'Air Flow' in EAW. A couple of times I was put into a spin by flying through the 'wash' of a 109 when flying a p51. Once was a head on encounter! Is it just me or what! Anyone come up with any set 'rules' that cause this? How close, or what direction makes any difference?
Posts: 264 | From: Fairview, Michigan | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Energizer
Member # 3061

posted 02-12-2000 05:44 PM     Profile for Energizer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Everything I've read in the past led me to believe that the fighter (Spit, Tempest, etc) actually DID make physical contact, which resulted in the V-1's gyroscope being upset, ending in a crash by the V-1. As to aircraft induced turbulence, I haven't attributed spins and stalls to other aircraft, as I wasn't looking for the cause. I was attempting to keep my tail from getting shot full of holes.

------------------
Energizer
So many targets, so little ammunition......

Posts: 76 | From: Springfield, MO, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nashwan
Member # 91

posted 02-12-2000 06:15 PM     Profile for Nashwan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Everything I've read says they DIDN'T touch, at least not deliberately. The airflow over the wing was supposed to be enough to unbalance the V-1 all by itself.

Swervin Irvin
Member # 888

posted 02-12-2000 06:25 PM     Profile for Swervin Irvin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The left wingtip of the Spit is not shaped the same as the right in the photo. I'm not sure, but the apparent touching may be an artifact of cranked up contrast or magnification, creating a dark bridge between the two wingtips.

Looks to me like the wingtips might be overlapping, were the artifact not there, But it's hard to be sure.

------------------
Take it vertical.. dive.. ram your talons deep.

Posts: 497 | From: Redmond, Wa. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Swervin Irvin
Member # 888

posted 02-12-2000 06:31 PM     Profile for Swervin Irvin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, er, ahem, Please disregard the above post by the moron with poor driving skills.
He took out his trusty rusty calipers and proved to his feeble self that the wingtip shapes are just fine, and they are indeed overlapping, and the only artifacts to be found are all in his mind!

By the way, I could swear I've seen a two shot sequence somewhere, taken from a following plane, of a Tempest(?) with a wingtip tucked under, then of the V-1 veering off towards the ground.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swervin Irvin (edited 02-12-2000).]

JWC
Member # 116

posted 02-12-2000 07:09 PM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
On the subject of did Allied pilots create actual physical contact between their aircraft and the V-1's or just disrupted the airflow:

Well, everything I've read indicates that both things happened at one time or another!

More specifically, yes, at least one or more Allied pilots DID slip a wing just under the V-1 and then jam the stick in the opposite direction, upsetting the V-1's attitude when the wings collided. However, it was eventually discovered that the same effect could be accomplished (with FAR less risk to the airplane and pilot) by carefully placing the wing JUST OVER the V-1 wing, killing or reducing the lift on that side of V-1 airfoil and causing the V-1 to go into an uncontrollable roll.

[This message has been edited by JWC (edited 02-12-2000).]

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Swervin Irvin
Member # 888

posted 02-12-2000 08:48 PM     Profile for Swervin Irvin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sounds risky to disrupt the airflow that way cause the V-1 should roll towards its disrupted wing, which is towards the defender.

------------------

Jamie Richards
Member # 1405

posted 02-12-2000 10:53 PM     Profile for Jamie Richards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I've found another photo of a Spitfire "tipping" a V-1. Take a look...

[This message has been edited by Jamie Richards (edited 02-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jamie Richards (edited 02-12-2000).]

Posts: 588 | From: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Hun Hunter
Member # 448

posted 02-13-2000 05:18 AM     Profile for Hun Hunter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
YES at last someone has found the photos I've always wanted to scan into this forum. I posted a couple of months back about having difficulty finding V1 sites in EAW. I then mentioned that Spits often chased and "tipped" the V1 causing it (usually) to go harmlessly into the South Downs but was told this would be impossible!.
S! 56th & J.R.

Posts: 1304 | From: In a water tight cavern under Sydney Harbour Bridge | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
S|im
Member # 1377

posted 02-13-2000 05:44 AM     Profile for S|im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
just to clarify over this issue, allied fighters did in fact make contact with the v1's. I have numerous photos in ww2 aircraft pictorials as well as a couple recorded shows off the a&E and the discovery channel that both talked about these particular ordeals. If I find the photo of the group of tempests based at a squadron in england I will be sure to post it. It shows fives tempests with the scratches and scrapes all to the outter end of there starboard wings. With a caption that says quote "tempest pilots are taking the war to the Gerries in more ways then just guns! Shown here are five tempests stationed in england which duties are for intercepting German VI rockets and unhastingly making them veer towards the ground and crash by slipping a wing tip under that of the V1 rocket and making contact with its stabalizers to knock it off course."

I hope this clarifies this mystery, and I will search for that photo, its actually rather interesting. Aso, try reading some ww2 stories on the internet, specifically ones related to v1 interceptions and you will read how for the most how the aircraft did in fact make contact with the v1's.

Pharaoh
Member # 1123

posted 02-13-2000 08:05 AM     Profile for Pharaoh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Good day Hun Hunter!

That picture was found in a book by the title of "Hitler's Last Weapons" by Jozef Garlinski. I've had it for years and have yet to read it but looks like it's jam-packed with V-1 and V-2 material (hard to stay up with all the books you have when they number well over a thousand).

If you are interested but cannot find it, let me know and i will scan and post some of the other pictures found within it. By the way, did you get a gander at this(from the same book)?
http://www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/002354.html

------------------
"A mind is like a parachute; it only functions when it is open." Sir Lewis Dewar

One step further, "I may not agree with what you say but will fight to the death for your right to say it"

Posts: 2180 | From: Harrison, AR,USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.