Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Newbie confused (so what's new?)

Author Topic: Newbie confused (so what's new?)
Energizer
Member # 3061

posted 02-12-2000 06:11 AM     Profile for Energizer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
This probably belongs in one of the existing threads concerning add-ons, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, right? So, here goes.......

I've downloaded MP's EAW patch 1.2 and installed it, no problems.

I've downloaded, and am in the process of installing, the following:
--Scorpion's Enabler
--MeatWater v2.0
--MeatWater v2.5
--Cord's Sound Collection
--ECA 1.4
--ECA Panel 2.0
--ECA Online
--EAW Control 2000
--EAW Stab 1.2

Being somewhat more patient, and a hell of a lot more fearful, than I was when I was younger, I also made folders for each of the zip files, and extracted them individually. I also printed up the READ.ME files for each one, if there was one (the sound zip files did not, so I assume I just move each set of files into the EAW main directory and activate the application file, and watch in amazement as developments unfold). Now, here's where I got hung up.....

The READ.ME file for Scorpion's Enabler mentions the 1.2 patch, the ECA Online v1.21, ECA 1.4 and ECA Panel 2.0 or 1.4, RIP, and MSA. What the hell are RIP and MSA?
And where do I find them, if I need them?

The Enabler allows me to choose which version of EAW I want to play, before I play anything, which is cool. At this point, I don't play online, but AM looking forward to the enhanced version that will shortly be mine <evil chuckle>. But......I have simply have no idea of what RIP or MSA are.

Any help would be appreciated. At this point, I'm going to follow the instructions in the Enabler READ.ME, but leave the RIP and MSA folders empty, until I determine if what they are.

By the way, I want to thank everybody for their warm welcome and generous help. I can see why this is easily the best forum on this subject, or any other, I might add, that I have ever been involved with. Cudo's to all of you, and to Cord, who makes this possible. S!

------------------
Energizer
So many targets, so little ammunition......

Posts: 76 | From: Springfield, MO, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 02-12-2000 08:00 AM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Energizer,

THe RIP (http://www.sonic.net/jcam/eawskins/downloads.htm)file is required for the ladder match(http://exo.com/~gregoryp/),it basically tunes the engine performance of EAW planes, but leaves the rest untouched(no extra planes,weapon tuning, etc).

The MSA file is for the Multy Squadron Aliance(or something like that ,and is a file for Virtual Squadrons to use whislt playing each other(same data allround when in battle).The MSA is made up of 3 Squads of wich I cannot remmenber...(sorry chaps,still learning the ropes ).

You will not need the RIP and MSA file (for now anyway ),but if you get them stick `em in those folders.

Here are some more links: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Metro/8853/index.html http://www.sonic.net/jcam/eawskins/ http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Alley/6644/stuff.htm http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/4145/ http://thehangar.dogfighter.com/
and the Squad that I have joined: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Galaxy/6846/

Good luck mate and S!(salute)

[This message has been edited by Slapphead (edited 02-12-2000).]

Posts: 1148 | From: london/uk | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Pharaoh
Member # 1123

posted 02-12-2000 08:48 AM     Profile for Pharaoh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Good day neighbor!

Always glad to see new faces in the EAW community!

I fly with the American squadron of the MSA (Multi Squadron Alliance) and if I can be of any help in getting you hooked up with online flying, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me; either here or email at [email protected]

You can find out more regarding who we are at:

http://www.savlan.com/56FG/

Good luck and hope to see you off my wing one day in the 'virtual' skies.

------------------
"A mind is like a parachute; it only functions when it is open." Sir Lewis Dewar

One step further, "I may not agree with what you say but will fight to the death for your right to say it"

[This message has been edited by 56thFG_Pharaoh (edited 02-12-2000).]

Posts: 2180 | From: Harrison, AR,USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Energizer
Member # 3061

posted 02-12-2000 08:51 AM     Profile for Energizer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, Slapp, I appreciate it. I think I need to get used to doing this thing solo with all the new toys I got before I get into the online stuff. S!

------------------
Energizer

Energizer
Member # 3061

posted 02-12-2000 09:08 AM     Profile for Energizer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Pharoah, thanks for the invite, and I'll be in touch, soon. I gotta get used to all these new toys first. I might even take a nap, too, hee hee. See ya at angels 12.

------------------
Energizer

JWC
Member # 116

posted 02-12-2000 10:11 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi Energizer!

[...What the hell are RIP and MSA? And where do I find them, if I need them?]

As has been noted above, RIP and MSA are modified flight models used for some forms of online play. RIP (Realistic In Performance) is used for "Ladder" matches at the Zone (Microsoft's Internet Gaming Zone). MSA is used by the Multi Squadron Alliance (which consists of the 56th FG, JG26, and a British online squadron that I can't think of right now!). RIP, as noted above, changes the engine performance of the aircraft, especially improving the American aircraft in EAW. MSA uses the RIP files, but replaces the bomber-buster FW190A-8 (which is a DOG of a fighter!) with the earlier, lighter, and hotter FW190A-4 model taken from ECA Online 1.21.

Do you need them? Well, strictly speaking, probably not, unless you join one of the online squadrons or participate in Ladder competition at the Zone. Likewise, if you don't fly online, there's no point in getting them. On the other hand, if you're flying online, it probably can't hurt to have the option of using them, just in case. It might be possible to only find one or two others playing at the same time you're there, and if they want to use RIP or MSA to get some practice in for competitions, then you'd be able to play with them.

With the Enabler, this is not much of a problem, since there should be no problem doing what you've already done, i.e. leaving the rip and msa folders empty. Like I said, it probably isn't strictly necessary to have the RIP and MSA files, but since they don't take up much in the way of HD space, it probably wouldn't hurt to have them just in case. But you might still never actually need them!

[This message has been edited by JWC (edited 02-12-2000).]

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 02-12-2000 10:23 AM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hello Energizer,
See you got a good reception from the Welcoming Committee, rather decent fellows if you ask me, made me feel one of the chaps right away.
Your knowledge is waaaay above my head, I only manage to cope with trying to stave off that rotter Rommel.
Anyway welcome aboard old bean, hope to see you in the sky soon.
Toodlepip.

------------------
Chocks away, back soon old chap and hey, stay away from my wife or I'll kill ya.

Posts: 6836 | From: Belfast. Northern Ireland. UK | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Pharaoh
Member # 1123

posted 02-12-2000 10:30 AM     Profile for Pharaoh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hello again Energizer.

Don't recall at the moment where to download the MSA files but if you need it, email me your email address and I will be more than happy to send it to you (a 541kb zip file).

As that delightful blighter Rodger Bilko says, "Toodle Pip!"

Regards,

Lt. Pharaoh
Recruiting/Intel Officer
56th MSA Fighter Group

------------------
"A mind is like a parachute; it only functions when it is open." Sir Lewis Dewar

One step further, "I may not agree with what you say but will fight to the death for your right to say it"

Posts: 2180 | From: Harrison, AR,USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 02-12-2000 10:58 AM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ah, Lt Pharaoh S!
good to see your post.
Had a good read the other night,
You chaps seem right up my avenue, no not that one.
Speak to you soon old bean.

------------------
Chocks away, back soon old chap and hey, stay away from my wife or I'll kill ya.

Posts: 6836 | From: Belfast. Northern Ireland. UK | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Energizer
Member # 3061

posted 02-12-2000 09:24 PM     Profile for Energizer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Success! All is well, and seems to be working properly. I'm tickled pink to have my EAW expanded by 20 fold, and to have the sounds tweaked, and, to me, sounding MUCH better. I feel like I am learning a new game, as, while the game is the same, the way it is played is not. Energy fighters are now REALLY energy fighters, and the Spit is all that's left of the rest, hee hee. I love the new weapons modeling, and the fact that I can actually shoot the left wing off my opponent, which effectively doubles my chances of downing him. All that to say, I appreciate the efforts of Charles G. and Matt M., and everybody else who may have had a hand in developing these adds. My hat's off to you. S!

Now that I have the basics installed, my next move is terrain and skins. However, if someone has any other suggestions on something I may be missing, please feel free to speak up. The only thing that I added to the program that is NOT included in the list in my initial post is the gunsight add, which made the rounds a month or so back.

Well, my time is up, as it's time to get off my duff and go deal with the 3rd shift thing at WalMart. Happy hunting.

------------------
Energizer

char
Member # 3133

posted 02-12-2000 11:24 PM     Profile for char   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'm another newbie about to fire up and wondering about terrain. I heard that the CFS stuff is great from high up but not so great at low level. Is that true? Give us some thought on the best terrain combos.
Thanx

Posts: 108 | From: Ketchum Idaho USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cortilein
Member # 1503

posted 02-12-2000 11:36 PM     Profile for Cortilein     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, Char, that's just a question of personal taste. There was a discussion some days ago about the terrain topic and it just seems that it's fifty-fifty which one is liked best.

Just check it out for yourself, as it is for me, as soon as I had "tasted blood" of the CFS terrain, I just wouldn't want to change back, even if it's looking a bit "bigger pixeled" at low altitude. Climb into the sky, look down over your shoulder, and you'll see why Jay's terrain is my favorite...

------------------
Cord Hartmann

Cord's EAW Page

Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 02-13-2000 03:26 AM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi Cord,

I noticed on a zone game lastnight,that whilst flying,the terrain was of the "Desert" flavour...
So does that mean that the person hosting the game,makes there chosen terrain available to all that join him whislt flying(it seemed that way;it was a real beauty,a dusk mission with a slight mist,flying with the desert colors in background....)?

S!

Posts: 1148 | From: london/uk | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Rodger Bilko
Member # 2170

posted 02-13-2000 04:42 AM     Profile for Rodger Bilko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OK,OK,OK, Slapphead, don't get all poetic and blubbery, there's a war to fight. Now come on chop, chop.

------------------

Cortilein
Member # 1503

posted 02-13-2000 08:17 AM     Profile for Cortilein     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Umm... sorry, Slapphead, I went through that registering procedure at the zone last night just to check it out. I haven't been to much online EAW flying yet, just once via the Kali network (yup, shame on me, i know... I guess I'll eventually step along the zone in the next days to meet you guys there, I'd really need some break from html programming.

------------------
Cord Hartmann

Cord's EAW Page

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.