Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » objects in the desert terrain

Author Topic: objects in the desert terrain
Jycceboy
Member # 1765

posted 02-10-2000 10:32 AM     Profile for Jycceboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi,

in order to prevent the trees and houses from appearing on the desert I guess I have to turn the terrain detail LOW? This maybe a stupid question, but what if I have to make an emergency landing, is it possible to crash to the trees or other objects i.e are they completely gone or are they just invisible? What about if I land on a river that now looks like sand?

Jycceboy

Posts: 338 | From: Kuopio, Finland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Twitch
Member # 75

posted 02-10-2000 11:09 AM     Profile for Twitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
In the regular terrain when you turn it down the trees and stuff goes away and you can taxi all over the place.
Posts: 638 | From: L.A. CA U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jamie Richards
Member # 1405

posted 02-10-2000 11:15 AM     Profile for Jamie Richards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Trees, houses, and other objects disapppear completely, so you can't crash into them. In fact, that's a way to cheat a little in online fighting. If you're dogfighting down low over land, you can fly around extremely low and your opponent can't follow you because there are trees in his way! It's not much of an edge, really. I've only seen it work once, when I was frantically trying to get away from my opponent, my engine smoking, twisting around down low, when all of a sudden he exploded! "Damn tree!" he exclaimed!

Water, on the other hand, is always deadly, whatever colour it's painted

Posts: 588 | From: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
MajorLee
Member # 386

posted 02-10-2000 03:40 PM     Profile for MajorLee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Water is not always dangerous. I belly landed on water, and floated like a boat. Bury landed wheels down on water last weekend online, and I landed wheels down a couple of days ago on water. Musgrove and Dragon6 saw it.

------------------
Major Lee

Posts: 1374 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
musgrove
Member # 1643

posted 02-10-2000 04:53 PM     Profile for musgrove   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The Major is correct...he made a cool water landing at the Zone!

Mus

Posts: 1245 | From: CT, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jamie Richards
Member # 1405

posted 02-10-2000 08:31 PM     Profile for Jamie Richards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yes, I've landed on water too. But I'll bet no one has ever landed on water and not damaged their plane!
Posts: 588 | From: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Narrator
Member # 1077

posted 02-11-2000 01:22 AM     Profile for Narrator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
And rumour has it that Simon Peter walked on water once- for a little bit....
LLv34_BlauKreuz
Member # 381

posted 02-11-2000 03:20 AM     Profile for LLv34_BlauKreuz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Belly landing" or "ditching" can be done on dry ground as well.

With Me109 one way to survive both in water and on ground is to touch down with speed close to 200kmh with 1 notch of flaps and engine shut down. Also keep it very steady and let go of the stick after touching down.

I have not been able to ditch with Hurricane or Spits though Some say that they have to go down much slower... with stalling speed. I have always exploded that way , but luckily I dont fly those planes that much... mainly 109s

------------------

LLv34_BlauKreuz
CO, Lentolaivue 34
---------------------------
www.muodos.fi/LLv34/

Posts: 98 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
barryw
Member # 1683

posted 02-13-2000 12:00 PM     Profile for barryw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by LLv34_BlauKreuz:
"Belly landing" or "ditching" can be done on dry ground as well.

With Me109 one way to survive both in water and on ground is to touch down with speed close to 200kmh with 1 notch of flaps and engine shut down. Also keep it very steady and let go of the stick after touching down.

I have not been able to ditch with Hurricane or Spits though Some say that they have to go down much slower... with stalling speed. I have always exploded that way , but luckily I dont fly those planes that much... mainly 109s

No less a pilot than Adolf Galland said in his book that "Early on it became obvious that ditching a 109 in the water was much better than a bale-out."
Further, Sandy Johnstone in his book says that because of the radiators, "water ditching in a Spit or a Hurri leads to an instant end over end, which leaves you unconscious and upside down under-water."

Posts: 445 | From: Westport. Mass | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.