Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Soundpacks

Author Topic: Soundpacks
Energizer
Member # 3061

posted 02-11-2000 09:43 AM     Profile for Energizer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Newbie question time.......

Do I need to d/l MeatWater's soundpacks AND Cord's sound file colletion, or will just Cord's collection do the trick? Is the 17 meg d/l worth the time? Such a target rich environment...........all these juicy tidbits, just dangling before me........I'm sooooooooo confused. Hee hee, sorry. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Energizer
So many targets, so little ammunition......

Posts: 76 | From: Springfield, MO, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Edwin Rommel
Member # 357

posted 02-11-2000 09:46 AM     Profile for Edwin Rommel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Herr Bunny!

I cannot imagine playing EAW without Meatwater- Cord's files improves some of Meatwater's sounds- But the basic starting point is Meatwater- It is worth the down-load!!

Danke

E.R.

Posts: 4399 | From: Dusty Oasis, Nord Afrika | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 02-11-2000 09:53 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Energizer,

You can download portions of Meatwaters sound at his site, instead of downloading them all, if you want.

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 02-11-2000 10:06 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Energizer:

[Is the 17 meg d/l worth the time?]

Everybody who has it says YES! Remember, if 17MB all at once seems like it would take too long, or your server is slow, or you keep getting disconnected before the download is finished, etc., there is a solution. At MeatWater's own site you can get three different versions of "Soundpack v2.0". The "2.0le" is the "light" version, "2.0" is the "full" 17MB download, but there is also the "2.0c" version available. This "2.0c" is the 17MB one broken down into 13 separate downloads of no more than 1.35MB apiece. This is tailor made for people who have slow connections, expensive connections, or for whatever reason have difficulty downloading 17MB in one session (in fact, you probably have already ascertained that the 1.35MB downloads should fit onto a 2HD floppy disk!-----enhancing the ability to download onto a different computer than your own if you have the time at work, for instance). If you don't want 17MB all at once, just start getting the Soundpack in 2 or 3 sessions per night, as you have time.

Here is the address for MeatWater's website: www.meatwater.de

Click on "Projects" in the navbar at the left, then click on "European Air War".

[This message has been edited by JWC (edited 02-11-2000).]

Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JWC
Member # 116

posted 02-11-2000 10:07 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, Donster and I have the same idea!
Posts: 1633 | From: College Station, Texas, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Donster
Member # 196

posted 02-11-2000 10:14 AM     Profile for Donster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
JWC,

Isn't that just a little to scarey!

Donster

Posts: 10794 | From: Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gen Savage
Member # 585

posted 02-11-2000 11:33 AM     Profile for Gen Savage   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
If you've got the HD space, I would definitely do all of Meatwater's sound. I thought EAW's original sound was awful. I do use Cord's "fix" for Meatwater. Basically, with all of Meatwater installed, the roars of some engines were so deafening you could not hear wingman or ground controller transmissions over the engines. Cord has a fix for that problem. BTW, guys, I think Bandit's flak sounds are great, too.
Posts: 1642 | From: Houston, Tx USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Cortilein
Member # 1503

posted 02-11-2000 11:39 AM     Profile for Cortilein     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey, Energizer!

Concerning my Sound Pack Upgrade: The base for the files included in the ZIP are MeatWater's sounds and some I got from EAW sites all over the net (I guess one of them was Bandit's, new cool FlaK sounds).

The main intention to upload this was the following: On my system (with Soundblaster AWE 32) MeatWater's sounds were far too loud and even distorted, and this could not be changed with the volume settings. I couldn't even understand the radio transmissions while in an exterior view any more. So I decreased the volume of most files (engine sounds mostly) so that they'd match the "interior volume" and radio transmissions could be heard again.

Second point: I did not like the weak .50cal sound (I guess they were changed since an earlier version), and swapped the MG sound over. Same with the German bomber engines, they got the same file as the American bombers (yeah, maybe a bit too powerful, but I like it better this way. God save Pratt & Whitney! )

Finally, I extracted the sound files one can hear in the hangar with the FW-190a from EAW, edited them to match the others in volume, and set those up as a new radial engine sound for in-game flight. I also like this one better than MeatWater's solution.

If you want a complete list of the sound file codes (filenames), please post me your e-mail address. That way you can choose what SND files to copy to your EAW main folder, and which one not. And you could maybe do your own copying/swapping attempt.

Thus, I can of course not tell you if you'd like to give this download a try or not. Maybe you'd like specific files of this package to be mailed to you, please inform me if you do.

Well, I hope I could help you some.

------------------
Cord Hartmann

Cord's EAW Page

Energizer
Member # 3061

posted 02-11-2000 05:42 PM     Profile for Energizer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thank you all for the help and advice. What I will do is download all three libraries {MW 2.0, MW 2.5, and Cord's collection), place them into separate "holding" folders, and move the ones I want into my EAW folder. I'm assuming that I can retrieve replaced original sound files from the CD if I feel the need, for whatever silly reason. Thanks again. I'm all atwitter with excitement, hee hee.

------------------
Energizer

JWC
Member # 116

posted 02-12-2000 11:19 AM     Profile for JWC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
S! Energizer:

[...I'm assuming that I can retrieve replaced original sound files from the CD if I feel the need...]

It's actually MUCH easier to restore the default sounds than you think . You won't need to copy anything from the CD. All you have to do is delete the add-on sounds from your EAW folder or at least move all of them to a different folder.

Why does this work? Because the add-on sounds don't actually overwrite or delete any of the origianl default files! The sounds that EAW uses are stored in Compressed Data Files (called CDF's) in your EAW folder. How does EAW use add-on files (sounds, skins, etc.)? Well, you could say that EAW is designed to use add-on files! When EAW needs information, it first searches the EAW folder for a specific file name. If it finds this filename, it will use the information within for whatever function EAW is trying to perform. If EAW cannot find anything with that filename in the EAW folder, EAW will then access the appropriate CDF and extract the information from it. As an example, let's look at the .50 cal. machine gun sound. When EAW needs to make a .50 cal. sound, it will search the EAW folder for a file called SND0026.SND. If EAW finds this file, it will use that file for the sound. If EAW cannot find this file, it will access the SOUND.CDF and will thus use the default file.

Energizer
Member # 3061

posted 02-12-2000 09:13 PM     Profile for Energizer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
JWC, thank you very much for that little tidbit of information. I have loaded all three libraries {MW 2.0, MW 2.5, and Cord's) and am simply in love with the results. The only problem was that I had to download MW 2.0 three times to get an untainted download. But, the results were worth the trouble. There are a couple more sound libraries that have piqued my interest, but I haven't done anything with them. If you have any more suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

------------------
Energizer

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.