Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » I Sat in a ME-262

Author Topic: I Sat in a ME-262
mark1gti
Member # 2999

posted 02-08-2000 03:52 PM     Profile for mark1gti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just had to tell you all; it was really great. I couldn't believe how tiny the interior was though. I can just imagine how it must have been for the pilots wearing those high-altitude leather flying suits. The plane I sat in was one of the ME-262's being built in Everett. They are building 5 planes, so accurate that even the tread pattern on the tires is authentic. Most are two seaters that can convert into single seaters via a turtleback mod that will make them look exactly like the single seaters. The one I sat in is the only single seater being built. Such a deal at only 2 million per copy. If you get a chance, get out there to see the planes, the guys building them are really a great bunch, very helpful in understanding all the fine points of the planes. The luftwaffe pilots that flew them that have been able to visit and see them have been genuinly moved at the sight of their old steeds rising from the ashes to fly again. ( possibly by spring / summer ) Check out the link below to visit the site.
http://www.stormbirds.com/classic/index.htm

Posts: 27 | From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Majesty5
Member # 572

posted 02-08-2000 06:11 PM     Profile for Majesty5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Lucky you! I'd consider going to see them making those things as something near a religious pilgrimage... Supposedly they're aiming for Oshkosh 2000 as their first flight time. I'd love to see that.
Posts: 789 | From: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
mark1gti
Member # 2999

posted 02-08-2000 06:36 PM     Profile for mark1gti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
yeah, it was really great, the 262's one of my favorite warbirds and to see an authentic one up close, as well as some new ones (they even have continuing build numbers from the original series) was a real treat. I'm going out there again next Friday to visit and take more photos, when I get home tonite I might post some of them to the forum so others can see what they look like. The inspection panels, instrument panel and gauges, wing slats, etc are all just like on the original plane. . . Really remarkable work. They used an original 262 two-seater they have on loan as their template to build the other aircraft and looking at the original vs the newer aircraft the attention to detail is just remarkable.
No609OzZiggy
Member # 2890

posted 02-08-2000 10:56 PM     Profile for No609OzZiggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
develope the photo and post it here ....lucky sod

------------------
The Foot just aint enough
(i need the whole rabbit)

Posts: 109 | From: germany | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
mark1gti
Member # 2999

posted 02-09-2000 07:28 AM     Profile for mark1gti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I'll get the photo of me in the plane up tonite; also ziggy, the first customer for the planes is Messerschmidt, so before long you should be able to see one of the planes flying over Germany!!! Perhaps as soon as this summer.
Twitch
Member # 75

posted 02-09-2000 10:34 AM     Profile for Twitch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hope you didn't fartt in that virgin 262 seat Mark!
Posts: 638 | From: L.A. CA U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.