Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Stupid question

Author Topic: Stupid question
WildeSau
Member # 2151

posted 02-08-2000 01:32 PM     Profile for WildeSau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hi hunters,

Perhaps many of you think that this questions is stupid - perhaps it is. But yesterday I thought about the following:

In WWII airbattle were there any rules saying that you have to attack any enemy planes you encountered (of course just when you were on SWEEP missions) - no matter how many they were? I mean have you had to attack a group of 4 enemy fighters also when you were flying alone. Or was it up to you to decide if it's worth or not to fly the attack.

I am wondering if there were any such rules saying that you have not to go into a fight if the rate enemy/friendly planes was higher than 1 - 2 or something like that.

If such rules existed, did they differentiate?

Isn't it strange what goes around in my head?

Thanks for your answers.

Michael the "WildeSau"

Posts: 61 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
LLv34_Snefens
Member # 72

posted 02-08-2000 03:08 PM     Profile for LLv34_Snefens   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
In a description of a day in the luftwaffe, Hans Iffland (IV/JG3) explains amongst other things views on engaging when doing interceptions of the daylight raids:
quote:
...Our orders were to continue attacking the bombers so long as we had ammunition and fuel. It was frowned upon if undamaged fighters returned with fuel and ammunition remaining. Even if we had only ten rounds of cannon ammunition left, we were expected to deliver another attack against the bombers...

This was for interception and just for the Luftwaffe. i don't know the allieds point of view during Battle of Britain for instance.

When it comes to fighters vs fighters I don't think that attacks was launched if located in a disadvantaged situation (that be either outnumbered, worse energy state or both)...from either side.

I don't have any idea if there were any specific rules about engagement tho.

------------------
"Head-ons are for pilots that don't know what their next move should be"

LLv34 Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34

Posts: 329 | From: Aarhus, Denmark | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.