Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  COMBATSIM.COM Forum Archive   » Archives   » EAW Archive 1   » Why in the name of God..............

Author Topic: Why in the name of God..............
Ghostrider
Member # 2062

posted 02-02-2000 05:07 PM     Profile for Ghostrider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
won't any of the good airplanes work in the campaigns? I have downloaded skins, Meatwater's sounds, cockpits and everything else I could find. I start a BoB campaign expecting to find some souped up Spitfires and none of the Spits that I've downloaded are available. I am new to EAW, and don't know what the hell I'm doing; I'm serious!
I can't install cockpits because I don't understand the directions. I have been trying for a week now to hit anything with bombs and I get pi..ed and try to bomb my own airfield and I can't even hit that. I wind up straffing American and British hangers, towers or anything else I can find out of rage, and I am flying for the allies!!. What am I doing wrong besides occupying time and space that an egg sucking dog could be using?. Damn I feel sorry for myself. I'm sitting at a 3,500 dollar computer with 350 dollars worth of HOTAS setup and I can't hit a bull in the *** with a snowshovel! I morgaged my soul for this outfit, and so far the only thing that flight sims have done for me is to turn me from just a heavy drinker into a full blown alcoholic. To add insult to injury my sister makes a point of driving over everyday to hit me upside the head and holler "It's just a game". Har Har Har. Well thanks fellas' for letting me unwind a little. I really could use a little help

Posts: 75 | From: Wash, Pa. | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Karac
Member # 465

posted 02-02-2000 05:17 PM     Profile for Karac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
All you need is patience and time to be good at EAW or anything else.

Kraut
Member # 513

posted 02-02-2000 05:21 PM     Profile for Kraut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
What kind of souped up Spits are you expecting in the BOB campaign?
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

Posts: 754 | From: Kitchener Ont. Can. | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Slapphead
Member # 59

posted 02-02-2000 06:01 PM     Profile for Slapphead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ghostrider

Tell me about it!

The only thing to do is take a break from EAW.

You are suffering from a chronic case of EAW Simulitus disorder.

There is only one cure:You need a break mate.
Forget about EAW or any other sim in fact,and go to the gym,speak to your kids/wife ,do some spring cleaning...you get the drift.

You will feel revitalised and on full form again,attacking the problem from a new angle(forgive the pun).

And when it comes to flying whilst under the influence,forget it,impossible to do.I used to be a heavy puffer(herbal )and its only a downwards spiral...

You got to compare sim like EAW/Falcon4 etc to a game of snooker/chess,such a complex,intricate,deep activity,in wich the only way forwards is to stay relitively healthy/balance and focused...the other
option is to play pool and draughts(thats cool to,but as you know,once one aquires the taste of EAW,nothing compares,hehe).

So have some faith brother,and treat your self to a NO EAW WEEK+

(And do not go near a EAW/aircraft/ fighter manual/book...)

All will turn out well in the long run.

Have a good one

S!

Slapphead(just come out of EAW rehab clinic)

Posts: 1148 | From: london/uk | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Gavin
Member # 1127

posted 02-02-2000 06:04 PM     Profile for Gavin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Bombing was much more difficult in World War 2 than it is today. The difficulty was the main reason the dive bomber was invented, ie, use the plane as the equivalent of a modern laser designator for guiding the bomb in to the right trajectory.

In EAW, you have to keep detailed notes and choose an altitude, and a speed, and an aiming point on your plane from some angle. For example, I am trying to get the hang of the Ju88 right now, which wasn't even in the original game so has no bombsight. I hit something once from 700 meters, so I'm sticking with that alt, and the approximate speed, and the same external angle view, and now am trying to figure out the right spot on the plane the target X crosses when I'm supposed to flip the pickle switch.

Trial and error.

Just don't throw all that fancy gear out the window, I'd kill to have it. Go work the heavy bag at the gym and come back to it tomorrow. I gave up X-Wing for 1 year after throwing my joystick into the monitor. I finally beat every mission in it a year later after coming back with less anger.

------------------
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly
developed it may be." - Adolf Galland.

Posts: 370 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada. | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
KMHPaladin
Member # 240

posted 02-02-2000 08:15 PM     Profile for KMHPaladin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gavin -

I believe the old EAW Online website had an article about bombing in Heinkels - to aim, I don't remember altitude, but they recommended looking externally directly down towards the top of your aircraft, then zooming all the way out. Once the target appears at the edge of the screen, pickle your bombs. You might want to try this at different altitudes, and see what happens.

------------------
- KMHPaladin
- [email protected]
- "I opened fire when the whole windshield was black with the
enemy... at minimum range it doesn't matter what your angle
is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver."
- Colonel Erich Hartmann

Posts: 794 | From: RPI - Troy, NY; originally from South Jersey | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
JayP
Member # 858

posted 02-02-2000 10:32 PM     Profile for JayP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
When you download a skin, what you get are files with the TPC extension. You have to put those files in your main EAW directory to see the skin in the game. You won't see any new Spit skins in the BOB campaign unless they are for the Spit Mk I. The Mk IX and the Mk XIV don't appear until later in the war. If you want to fly those aircraft, you will have to try a 1943/44 campaign.
GZR_Paddy
Member # 2801

posted 02-03-2000 04:53 AM     Profile for GZR_Paddy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Do not worry. I read somewhere some of the bombs during WWII were dropped more than 3 miles away from their targets, and they were released by experts.
You could start bombing with a Typhoon at very low altitude, it is easier than bombing at high altitude.
Cheers

Posts: 4 | From: Gijón/Asturias/Spain | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Guy
Member # 1606

posted 02-03-2000 12:09 PM     Profile for Old Guy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Bombing takes a lot of practice. Gavin's way is very good. I do the same thing with ground targets. I've settled on an altitude of around 500 meters and an airspeed of about 300 mph for fighter bombing missions. I use the hud target marker and release at a set point. Results are good. I've been able to hit hangars, radar stations, etc. much more often since doing it this way. You stand a better chance of escaping unharmed if you can be the first plane to strike the target.
High level bombing is trickier. I've been working on the outside view method and haven't got consistent results yet. Not keeping good enough notes, I think.

Posts: 1769 | From: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
shok
Member # 122

posted 02-03-2000 12:54 PM     Profile for shok   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ghostrider, take a deep breath, then read:

1. Since you seem to be new to the prop sims, you really need to master the basics first. Drop all the non-essential junk. Focus on your flying first before you move to the eye-candy stuff. So, delete those skins as they are a distraction for you at this stage.

Focus on one aircraft to train on right now. Once you've got the basics, all the other a/c will take less adjustment. I would suggest the Hurricane or the P-38 as your first mount.
As for the cockpits, try supplementing your original cockpit with the HUD. It generally has all the info you really need. If that still doesn't give you enough, only then should you try those new cockpits with expanded readability.

2. Don't do a career yet. Do single missions over and over and over. Practice one specific aspect of combat flying a whole week before moving on. Practice interceptions against the slowest a/c you can choose. Practice bombing targets. Practice strafing attacks, interdiction. Finally practice air combat. It will take while but the persistence will pay off.

3. Bombing tips for jagdbombers: there are really only 2 ways to do it (and these are in the manual) -- dive bombing and glide bombing. These are in the manual. Read it!
For the really desperate, here's my advice. If you want to climb that steep learning curve of dive bombing and glide bombing, but take it in easier steps, you can try Air Warrior III. Their WWII fighter planes have CCIP markers in addition to the gunsight. It's a great way to LEARN how it feels to do it correctly and consistently before giving up the crutch of a CCIP marker in a more realistic sim.

4. Advanced topic: new planes for career, early war. Since the campaigns were designed to be historically correct, the only way to get an advanced plane in the career is to cheat. Edit the early-war a/c to give them the characteristics of late-war uberplanes. All the tools to do this are readily available.
When you do this, make sure you also leave enough time for your Quake Arena clan activities. Also ask around this forum for the invincibility, unlimited-ammo, God mode, and other console commands.

All times are MST (US)  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | COMBATSIM.COM Home

© COMBATSIM.COM, INC. All Rights Reserved.